Sign in to follow this  
Thomasso

If I manage to master high-end add-on planes, would I be able to fly them in real world?

I remember being coached on the concept of a "flight envelope". What stuck was the premise that venturing outside the "envolope" in a critical phase of flight without time for proper correction back to the "envelope" is quite often fatal. :nea:

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

I had a single point of failure cause a total loss of pitot static information on an EFIS 84 King Air while IMC. The hardest part of flying was not that I had no reliable source of airspeed, altitude or VSI, but that I was getting bad and conflicting information. I had to recover using power, pitch, radio altimeter and an ILS. We were also fortunate enough to have a VOR on the field with DME that gave us ground speed. 

An AoA would have been nice to have as well, but so many aircraft are not installed with this device. 

There are lots of could have, should have, or would haves that can be brought up in any case. But, I followed the first rule of any emergency situation ingrained into me, "Fly the damn airplane." Pitch and power were immediately available. While I was IFR I was in relatively benign conditions.  

I have also had the unfortunate experience of  being a junior Co recovering a King Air from Stevens Aviation where the Radar was misbehaving and the strike finder was OTS. ATC was helping us by vectoring us around a line of TRW when they must have us a bad heading or something and put us right into a massive cell. Well, massive for a King Air. We became a ping pong ball in a lotto machine and were getting bounced around hard. Our Radar decided to be helpful at that instant and paint a magenta arc off the nose of the aircraft. I think I just informed the Captain and ATC we were climbing and after what seemed like forever we popped into an eerie almost scifi scene of thunderstorm columns between two layers of clouds. At least we were visual.

I cannot even imagine what would have happened if the total pitot static failure happened while I was in a thunderstorm. Each event on its own tested my skills to the maximum. 

If those experiences taught me anything it is way too easy to be critical, but the reality of what is happening in the cockpit during these situations can often override common sense.

Incidents are great to look at as a how do we prevent this in the future, but it is often tough to not criticize people for doing what may seem like stupid stuff. As a great safety inspector once said, "Pilots don't take off with the intention of crashing an airplane." Well except in a few cases.
  • Upvote 1

I can not and will not critize the flight crew of AF447 because I wasn't there and do not know what they knew or thought they knew.

I have been there.    

blaustern

• Upvote 1

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Hi Thomas,

Don't let the non-pilots bother you. It IS possible for a PC pilot to handle a heavy. That was proven in 1994 at Simuflite's training facility in Dallas, Texas at an annual MicroWings conference. I don't recall the exact numbers, but out of 200+ attendees, the majority of participants successfully flew full motion simulators. The event was arranged by the FAA specifically to determine if PC flight would be acceptable someday to log in as "real" pilot simulator training time. 

My flight during the event can be viewed on youtube at (

) or just search (Microwings 1994). I am rated for only single engine, land and have type rated no better than a C-172 and had no problem with the Lear 45 simulator. During that same conference, several of us flew a 737 simulator at Southwest's training facility at Love Field. I did fine and a PC pilot after me was given an engine failure on climb out but returned to the airport with a successful emergency landing.

I hope this helps.

Gene Lacy

Well that settles it. Won't be long 'til the entertainment simmers log hours and actually become certified and type rated... oh wait...  :nea:

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

LOL!

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I love these threads...they always resurface and drag on forever...carry on.

spacer.png

C-172 Type Rating?!? I guess my copy of 8900.1 must be woefully out of date.

Perhaps the answer to the question can be borrowed from Reverend Lovejoy (Simpsons reference).

"Oh, short answer, 'yes', with an if. Long answer, 'no', with a but."

• Upvote 2

Hello everybody,

I'm planning on getting a flying licence in the future and I'm just wondering...

If I master planes like PMDG 737, 777 or A2A C172 etc., will I be able to fly the actual plane in the real world? I've got all sorts of add-ons to make the environment as realistic as possible.

I've been telling this to "non-sim" people and they are pretty much laughing at me :-) 

I'd appreciate a real world pilot to answer the question.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Tomas Pokorny

But the question was never can I take over for real pilots under some fantasy case, or lets create some mental situation of, would your prefer. It was a simple question. Will I be able to fly..

Simple answer, NO. Neither PMDG or A2A are certified to train pilots, sorry you will have to actually go to a flight school, hire an instructor and train just like all the rest of us did. Take a written and pass the practical and then you can fly.

You can pervert this thread as much as you like, but the basic answer remains NO. 

I guess the guy never asked if he can legally fly and thus the buffoonery began. If you assume as the guy states, "getting a flying license" in becoming a certified pilot, then all of this side chatter become moot. It seems he does not plan to illegally operate an aircraft.

But the question was never can I take over for real pilots under some fantasy case, or lets create some mental situation of, would your prefer. It was a simple question. Will I be able to fly..

Simple answer, NO. Neither PMDG or A2A are certified to train pilots, sorry you will have to actually go to a flight school, hire an instructor and train just like all the rest of us did. Take a written and pass the practical and then you can fly.

You can pervert this thread as much as you like, but the basic answer remains NO. 

I guess the guy never asked if he can legally fly and thus the buffoonery began. If you assume as the guy states, "getting a flying license" in becoming a certified pilot, then all of this side chatter become moot. It seems he does not plan to illegally operate an aircraft.

Offended by humour ... of all things imaginable.

Look, I don't know what your problem is with me, if you disagree with how I view things, that is absolutely fine, if you disagree with how I approach things, that is also absolutely fine, if you misunderstand what I say, that is especially fine, but none of that entitles you to fly off the handle at me whenever I post a comment.

Now, you try to come across as an intelligent and considered person, back that up by stopping this immature line of vindictiveness. If you don't like talking to me, then don't talk to me, but don't treat me with contempt for not seeing things and thinking the way you do, an intelligent and considered person should be logical enough to recognise that their way is not the only way, and not even by necessity the right way.

I may not be a pilot or a flight instructor, that doesn't make me an idiot, and if I am such in your eyes, then the problem lies with your judgment.

Will you let it go now? Or will you only be happy when I leave AVSIM?

The same thread over and over again.

I always say YES (even though I know I will be heavily downvoted here, oh wait, that's Reddit). A properly trained flight sim pilot can fly a real, highly-automated aircraft provided that ALL CONDITIONS ARE OPTIMAL (aircraft in perfect condition, perfect weather, straight-forward ILS approach etc.).

In the end flying a big jet is all energy management, programming and procedures. All of which can be learnt on a high-fidelity simulation. Pilots are there basically for if anything goes wrong or not as planned.

When it comes to Stick&Rudder flying, then definitely not. This requires real world practice.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Perhaps the answer to the question can be borrowed from Reverend Lovejoy (Simpsons reference).

"Oh, short answer, 'yes', with an if. Long answer, 'no', with a but."

I like it. :smile: 

blaustern

• Upvote 1

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam