Sign in to follow this  
Thomasso

If I manage to master high-end add-on planes, would I be able to fly them in real world?

Just take your shoes off. :) Remember the "barefoot bandit"? With nothing more than flight simulator experience he stole a bunch of planes, and even wrecked a few of them!

Yup, RW not so much...

I'm not as good with a desktop sim as I am with a  the real aircraft especially in the landing phase.  My peripheral vision is especially important to me when landing a real aircraft and I just can not pick up those landing cues in a desktop sim.  Maybe it's just a lack of talent on my part. :smile: 

blaustern 

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

The real question is:

"Can a reasonably experienced pilot trained in the operation and systems of an advanced aircraft fly and safely land an advanced desktop sim?"

:Tounge:

Fortunately in my airplane I have never had to suffer with CTD or  OOMs and the framerates have always remained an eyepopping infinite. There is also depth to the horizon and the feeling in my vestibular and proprioceptive systems is not Bubba shaking the desk chair.  =@

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the input Ian, though not really the place to get into an  A vs B discussion. I've only flown the B for a couple of year sand other types before that. -Like many "non" Airbus pilots though, my fears are not about FBW per se. The Emb170-190 is FBW, the Boeing 777 is FBW too. ~Yet they both have yolks that provide feedback of control displacement. This is more "normal" to me but does point to something not considered here before in that our Sim programs and hardware do not provide this at all. Hence the lack of a closed loop.

Completely agree, flying the Airbus is quite unengaging and that's part of the getting used to it. Once you are, though, it becomes normal, you simply pick up your flying cues from other places.

I'm not going to get involved in an A vs B debate, just trying to highlight some Airbus misconceptions now that I've flown both (and enjoy(ed) both).

Conversely, and almost in perfect irony, the Airbus FBW system, with it's disconnected, non moving primary controls can be mimicked perfectly by our kit. The PC joystick is lifeless, just provides inputs and if you plug two in you can move then in opposite directions if you want! I know other aircraft fake it, but the Airbus doesn't try.

Yes, it makes our sims almost more realistic with the disconnected controls, however, you get used to it really quite quickly and it really doesn't make it any easier or harder, just different.

On a windy day into LBA, I can feel the yolk and throttles moving away indicating the autoflight system's efforts and a subtle reminder I'll shortly have to do some brisk work! I appreciate an experienced Airbus operator copes too, but it's a worry to us mere mortals.

Going into LBA on a windy day I never needed any control feedback to remind me of the impending "brisk work!" :dance: It really is nothing to worry about and that's what I was trying to allude to in my previous post. All the guys flying other types are always "worried" about all these Airbus oddities, some to the point that they make career limiting choices to avoid it. It's different, that's it. It'll be less than one sim session and you'll 'get' the sidestick, the MCP, the non moving throttles, the table, the FBW system (assuming you stop thinking about it and just fly it like an aircraft).

The only thing that takes a while to get used to is everyone else telling you how hard/dangerous/difficult/unnatural it is to fly, you feel like a freak for years nodding and smiling at them while going to work and flying it perfectly naturally like any other airliner and wondering what you've missed.

The most important point though, is that they're all just aeroplanes and pitch/power = performance works every time.

Absolutely, again, what I was trying to say before, don't worry about the FBW system, just fly it like any other aircraft. No FBW system can alter the laws of physics, it's a handy addition but it doesn't make the aircraft do anything it couldn't already do. The Airbus is an airliner first of all and an Airbus second, don't be afraid...

Good luck with LBA (are you based there?) it was never a favourite of mine,

Take care,

Ian

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your input Ian. 

Yolk is an English spelling. I'm English. Sorry.

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

Really? He%20He.gif

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/yolk

yolk: The yellow internal part of a bird's egg, which is surrounded by the white, is rich in protein and fat, and nourishes the developing embryo.

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Indeed. Yoke are generally found in eggs. Yokes, on the other hand, can be found in cockpits and across the shoulders of draught animals.

(Yoke can also be Irish slang for "thing" e.g. "..where did you get that yoke?"

:smile:

Let's tag team Fr. Bill...

yolk, n.2  - A greasy substance composed of excretions (e.g. suint, lanolin, etc.) from a sheep's skin and sebaceous glands, which coats the wool and protects it from environmental factors.

Phrase: in the yolk: designating raw or unscoured wool; designating wool which still contains yolk. Now hist.

Oxford English Dictionary - The definitive record of the English language :Tounge:

The real question is:

"Can a reasonably experienced pilot trained in the operation and systems of an advanced aircraft fly and safely land an advanced desktop sim?"

:Tounge:

Well they might face a host of new problems they never experienced before like OOMs and poor frame rates. :P  

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Well they might face a host of new problems they never experienced before like OOMs and poor frame rates. :P  

Good point...maybe in the reverse situation the simmer on the real flight deck would forget his nervousness as he was blown away by the superb quality of the graphics and the phenomenal frame rates...  :smile:

Definitely is not the spelling of yoke, even in the uk

One spelling of yoke, or yolk, or whatever is about as good as another as far as I am concerned, and probably as far away from anything I wanted to learn about tonight! :hi:

One spelling of yoke, or yolk, or whatever is about as good as another as far as I am concerned, and probably as far away from anything I wanted to learn about tonight! :hi:

Yolk is the yellowy orange inside part of an egg.

Indeed. Yoke are generally found in eggs. Yokes, on the other hand, can be found in cockpits and across the shoulders of draught animals.

(Yoke can also be Irish slang for "thing" e.g. "..where did you get that yoke?"

:smile:

Argh! The only yolk ever to be found in a cockpit would be in the crew's breakfast if they ordered eggs...

Yoke are never found in eggs.

Nota bene:

Oxford English Dictionary - The definitive record of the English language :Tounge:

This demonstrably true statement is the precise reason I cited the primary definition of "yolk" from the OED.

Why am I being yoked with this yoke of a joke? Oh well, at least I don't have yolk on my face... :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yup, RW not so much...

You are being too literal