Sign in to follow this  
motoadve

GTX 1080 how well does it runs Prepar 3D?

This is really a matter of how you run Prepar3d. If you run 1080p on a single monitor with low AA settings then I wouldn't expect much of a difference between the 780 and the 1080. However, if you run higher resolutions and/or high AA settings then it will certainly give a nice boost in performance. Would be great to here from someone who made the switch as I'm also thinking about upgrading my 780 with a 1070. I'm on a triple monitor setup so I would expect to see a performance improvement.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

I upgraded from GTX 670 to GTX1070 and saw vast improvement including jump in FPS because I have 3 x surround +1 4th monitor.

Thankfully I read a post here , about how to check if my weak link was CPU or GPU. I simply reduced my P3D window size from three monitor to two monitor (on my old GTX 670) and saw my FPS jump up... So that gave me the indication that GPU was my weakest link in the chain.

GPU was my limiting factor...

So after I got the 1070 I got the same FPS that I got with 2 monitor on the 3 monitors.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I simply reduced my P3D window size from three monitor to two monitor (on my old GTX 670) and saw my FPS jump up...

That is certainly a good indication. I also see a massive fps drop with heavy clouds when I expand the view from 1 monitor to Surround view with 3 monitors. So in these situations I would expect a nice performance improvement with the GTX1070 compared to my GTX780.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Thankfully I read a post here , about how to check if my weak link was CPU or GPU.

Would you mind re-posting that link or PM me- I'd like to see that....

My 1080 performance is somewhat better, but not as much as I expected

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Would you mind re-posting that link or PM me- I'd like to see that....

I read glider1,'s post here...that got me getting the GTX1070...and then I built a new PC after I saw the FPS improvement..with the 1070. (I got greedy). LOL :) Now I have the i7-6700K and the GTX1070.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/490420-fps-improvement-going-from-i7-2600-to-i7-6700k/page-2

With the P3D V3.35 (the last update from LM) the heavy cloud issue was solved for the most part.. if you do not have the latest update from LM and if you want to improve performance with clouds, consider updating the "client" update from LM only at least.

Manny

Single monitor best possible settings (want eye candy and FPS)

1920 x 1080

With the hardware in my signature, modified Rob A extreme in sim settings, I'm getting smooth 30 FPS! If your not getting high FPS with your current rig, don't expect to increase it by much with a 1080. The eyecandy is outa sight!

A GTX 1080 for a 1920x1080 is overkill in my opinion, however 1070's are not cheap either!

I read glider1,'s post here...that got me getting the GTX1070...and then I built a new PC after I saw the FPS improvement..with the 1070. (I got greedy). LOL :) Now I have the i7-6700K and the GTX1070.

Glad it worked for you Manny! Now that you have a great setup like that, take it to the next level by reading this most enlightening post:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=120133&p=139706#p139706

EDIT: http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=120133

I discovered that you can keep the main thread from being overwhelmed with jobs by using an external limiter which get's rid of almost all the microstutters once you know you have a balanced CPU+GPU setup. I'm going to play with MIN_FIBER_TIME_SEC to see if it is possible to keep the microstutters near zero and get better texture loading by controlling the load of the main thread.

I'm getting my system ready for Rift VR now. GTX1080 arrived yesterday on an i6700k rig. 

Now that you have a great setup like that, take it to the next level by reading this most enlightening post:

I didn't quite get it

I have limited my sim to 31FPS 

if I set it unlimied, I do get close to 45-50FPS (not in VC of 777) for the most part...like spot view 

What should I do or try? 

Do I inclease the limit to 45FPS or to I increase the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION  to 50% and leave the FPS to 31fps?

Edited to add: I read those LM thread again and maybe it does not apply to my case since they are talking about using external limiter which puts the main thread to sleep. I am only limiting via internal FPS setting.

Manny

My 1080 arrived today. I am flying on 1 4K monitor but with relatively high settings.

Will post some results in the afternoon.

Easy way to see if your graphis card is the limit (besides the window-trick): Install MSI Afterburner or some tool like it and take a look at the GPU usage during flying.

My 970 GTX was constantly at 100%. So I guess the 1080 will give me a boost.

1080p + 1070/1080 will not see a huge leap in performance I would say.

Ok. I just installed this card:

https://www.alternate.de/ASUS/GeForce-GTX-1080-STRIX-AURA-GAMING-Grafikkarte/html/product/1287252

And I am BLASTED!!!!!!!

I did the following test:

AS16 in Historic mode: 3. June 16 17:00UTC (cloudy day) at EDDM Gate 201 in the PMDG 777-300.

Test:

Looking around the ground without having sky in the frame:

Before: ~50 FPS     After: ~60 FPS

VC (panning around)

Before: 25 - 32 fps   After: 45 - 55 FPS (!!!)

Looking at the cloudy sky:

Before: ~30 FPS      After: 45-55 FPS (!!!)

That is way more then I expected!

I did not overclock the card. Standard settings. I reach around 17.900 Points in 3DMark Fire Strike.

Awesome :-)