Sign in to follow this  
motoadve

GTX 1080 how well does it runs Prepar 3D?

What card did you have before?

I saw in another post he had a 970 so the large boost my be from a upgrade in Vram size. Once you run out of Vram your FPS hit the toilet as your system starts pulling from system memory

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I saw in another post he had a 970 so the large boost my be from a upgrade in Vram size. Once you run out of Vram your FPS hit the toilet as your system starts pulling from system memory

Could well be the reason! :-)

I checked GPU and CPU usage %

GPU is about 80% use

CPU about 75%

So will upgrading the card from the 780 to 1080 make a difference?

Running at 1920 x 1080

GPU is about 80% use

CPU about 75%

Running at 1920 x 1080

My GPU was constantly at 100% load before with the 970.

I think if you do not max it out now an upgrade will not bring you much more performance. But that's only guessing.

'How do you get to see the GPU usage%?

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Oh...

Afterburner software

I have afterburner running :)

The  GP1 usage = 61% and the GPU2usage = 27%

I stretched the window over 4 monitors.. the 3 X 24" and the 1 x 21" monitor..and I set my weather to thunderstorm.

Manny

I didn't quite get it

I have limited my sim to 31FPS

if I set it unlimied, I do get close to 45-50FPS (not in VC of 777) for the most part...like spot view

What should I do or try?

Do I inclease the limit to 45FPS or to I increase the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION to 50% and leave the FPS to 31fps?

Edited to add: I read those LM thread again and maybe it does not apply to my case since they are talking about using external limiter which puts the main thread to sleep. I am only limiting via internal FPS setting.

Sorry you are correct, I didn't explain that link to the prepar3D forum and realise that it might not have applied to you. It is a fantastic discussion though because it does talk about the drawbacks of internal-external-unlimited frame rate limiting in P3D. Here it is again:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=120133

I've installed and tested my i6700k GTX1080 setup. Microstuttering still happens on NI inspectors SGSS-4 AA during turns and panning but for me DSR x4 combined with the internal P3D AA x4 is just as good as SGSS plus no microstutters.

GPU is about 80% use

CPU about 75%

Running at 1920 x 1080

That information is not enough to decide on whether to upgrade to the 10xx family of GPU's. You have to put your sim in a quarter size window in a heavy scenery area and see if frames improve. If yes then you are GPU limited, if no then you are CPU limited.

I run P3Dv3 @ 4k on a 1080 Founders Edition  and 50" 4K Vizio TV.  I run it at 30 hrz  and it will maintain a super smooth 30FPS all day using PMDG, Orbx and AS216.  If I set the TV to 60 hrz I maintain about 50-60 fps in 4K but I get micro stutters. 

My 1080 in 4K

30 hrz = Smooth as silk

60 hrz = Micro Stutters

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Sorry you are correct, I didn't explain that link to the prepar3D forum and realise that it might not have applied to you. It is a fantastic discussion though

I am interested in this dicussion. Here is my new setup with the i7-6700K OCed to 4.5Ghz and GTX1070

vs my PC I replaced. the i7-3770K OC to 4.5 and the GTX-670

Although I had a low FPS (20FPS) I had no micro strutters and no texture load lag. Even though I was using 4 monitors. no OOMs  I had some tweeks to my P3D.cfg file

However with my new setup I am getting over 30FPS, I am having texture issues..Black textures all over and then textures not loading fast enough in my MS photosceneries  and running into OOMs.. I have not done any tweeks in my P3D.cfg yet

Hmmm..

Manny

What resolution are you guys running at?

When you limit your framerate to 30fps, how exactly are you doing this? In P3D's menu? Set it to 30fps, VSYNC on or off?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Sorry you are correct, I didn't explain that link to the prepar3D forum and realise that it might not have applied to you. It is a fantastic discussion though because it does talk about the drawbacks of internal-external-unlimited frame rate limiting in P3D. Here it is again:

http://www.prepar3d....f=6312&t=120133

That is an excellent explanation by Beau, thank you for sharing that link!

I'd be interested to know what people are using to externally limit the frame rate. NI?

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

When you limit your framerate to 30fps, how exactly are you doing this? In P3D's menu? Set it to 30fps, VSYNC on or off?

Yeah thats what I do now..I set Vsync on in my previous PC and it was so much better... in smoothness.. but now I am not seeing much difference

Manny

That is an excellent explanation by Beau, thank you for sharing that link!

I'd be interested to know what people are using to externally limit the frame rate. NI?

There are many apps for that now. I use Dxtory. I'm not sure it even matters what app you use?

What resolution are you guys running at?

I think that for the 10XX series GPU's, resolution is not the limiting factor because our frame rates are usually not pegged to 60Hz. In P3D we are usually forced to run a lower frame rate because of the CPU, and so the GPU has plenty of headroom. I bought the 1080 because I need the GPU headroom for VR.

Limiting to 30Hz (1/2 refresh) can be done any number of ways. I'm currently using an external limiter (Dxtory) with VSync and TB enabled in P3D and adaptive 1/2 refresh set in NCP. The advantage of that is the main sim job has less chance of overloading to cause microstutters. Disadvantage is that the sim job can fall asleep too much and cause slow loading textures.

I personally find 30Hz too low for smoothness and find custom ways to bump it up to 32-35 range still locked to monitor refresh rate.

The bottle neck in P3D is totally the CPU. All LM have to do is offload more CPU to our 10xx series and we will then see much better performance. Our problem will come when in a couple of years or so, when P3D is a genuine 60Hz simulator but our 10XX won't be able to run full eye candy. The simulator is not even close to that yet though. At that stage, all we will have to do is buy a cheap second hand 10XX card and SLI our system.

• Upvote 1