Sign in to follow this  
oldgreydog

Generationh X and Revolution X with P3D

I have used the Generation X UK photoscenery for years with FSX and also fairly recently became a Revolution X fan.

Needless to say when I migrated to p3d I wanted to continue using them.

So far I've managed to get the gen x stuff working, but not Rev X.

I've heard various tales about installing the Gen X scenery in p3d. Some said you can use a migration tool and install as if it's in FSX. I couldn't get that to work. Some said that you could use p3ds scenery screen to manually mount the scenery specifying the folder containing the scenery files eg. Volume1. This thread up error messages for me and didn't do anything useful with the scenery.

I found that I had to mount each resolution scenery set in each area in each volume individually and that I had to rename them to be unique in the scenery library. (It has worked though)

Next I want to get the Revolution X scenery installed. I contacted Just Flight and was told that Rev X cannot be installed directly in p3d. But that Rev X puts an antigen layer into the Gen X scenery and therefore if the scenery is subsequently manually put into the p3d library the rev x scenery will get into p3d piggybacked on the gen x scenery.

This is what I tried to do.....so far I haven't managed to get it working.

Any ideas how to do this???

You are better of creating an all in one install of your Gen-X.    It is a lot of work but well worth it.  You can then do the same with the Texture folders for Rev-X.  Placing them in the appropriate layers.

The finished folder structure would look like this, as apposed to the Default Gen-X folder structure that you have:-

ENG/WALES Vol 1,2,3.

60cm Photo
1.2m Photo
2.4m Night
2.4m Photo
4.8m Mesh

IRELAND Vol 9 & 10

10m Mesh
Airports
1m Photo
Vectors

Scottish Mainland Vol 6,7,8.

05m Photo
Airports
Vectors
5m DTM

Scottish Islands Vol 4 & 5

(vol5) NIGHT
(Vol5) Photo Terrain
(Vol4) 06m Night
(Vol4) 06m Photo
(Vol4) 4.8m Mesh
(Vol4) Airports

Not for the faint of heart, so give it a lot of thought before you start.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I'd heard people talking about an "all in one" that's the first time someone has explained it in detail. Thanks for that.

Ond thing I haven't managed to nail down is where the Revolution X texture files are. Can you explain?

If you have it installed in FSX you will find all your agn files within the Texture folder, next to the Scenery folder, as follows :-

Eng/Wales****************************************************************within 2.4m Photo folder

Scottish Mainland********************************************************within 0.5m Photo folder

Scottish Islands**********************************************************Vol4 within 0.6m Photo folder

Scottish Islands**********************************************************Vol5 PhotoTerrain folder

Any agn files you may have from other sources for Ireland**********1m Photo folder

Be aware that if you use ES Trees, which is a collection of agn files; they are placed in the same locations and will be overwritten by the RevX files. (The agn files are placed within a numbered grid system, so you can only have one agn file at any given location.  It's a case of either/or, not both)

All other ADDONS for the GenX scenery should be placed above the above list, within the Scenery Library, eg. UK ANNO, REFINERIES, POWER PROJECT  etc. 

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I had absolutely no trouble whatsoever installing the PlayHorizon GenX VFR Photographic Scenery in P3D v3.3.5. I installed it in exactly the same way as I did with FSX (without using any migration tool), and then manually added the entries in the Scenery Library.

EDIT: On a side note, I would love to see a 0.6m per pixel version of England & Wales with much more accurate and consistent colouration throughout.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

EDIT: On a side note, I would love to see a 0.6m per pixel version of England & Wales with much more accurate and consistent colouration throughout.

This. I have Horizon GenX 1, 2 & 3 and have actually given up with them in P3D as the colour looks so wrong with HDR on. Last night I bought Just Flight VFR as the colour looks more natural, so we shall see...

I bought the Just Flight photoscenery first, the found that Horizon/PlaySim were going to cover the whole of the UK. It's unfortunate that, as far as I have been able to establish, PlaySim although still existent provides no support for their products.

The responses to this thread have been very useful. I was completely in the dark about where the Rev-X agn files are stashed.

I bought the Just Flight photoscenery first, the found that Horizon/PlaySim were going to cover the whole of the UK. It's unfortunate that, as far as I have been able to establish, PlaySim although still existent provides no support for their products.

The responses to this thread have been very useful. I was completely in the dark about where the Rev-X agn files are stashed

Since I started writing this (yes I sometimes get distracted while on line) I discovered a few things. I had (turns out...made the mistake of) downloaded the latest version of Revolution X. This has cause me considerable confusion because it doesn't put things where you said. In fact, and this is very sneaky, some of the Volume 1 agn files are put in ......wait for it.....Edwards AFB?!?!?!

I am uninstalling the new version and reinstalling the original.

This would explain why I'm not seeing the Rev-X scenery in some locations.

I was never convinced by the YouTube videos and screenshots of the JustFlight Revolution X product. It never looked right to me, with dull and bland looking autogen buildings (some of which seemed to be positioned incorrectly), and a sparse coverage of trees.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I'm suppose it depends on your expectations.

Certainly from the small amount I've managed to get woring so far in P3D, the superior graphics capability compared with FSX makes for a much more filled scene.

I gather that the scenery is derived from the OS Open Dataset ie. essentially a freebie. Given that you generally get what you pay for, the "quality" (and I'm not using that word in any derogatory sense because the OS produce very good quality mapping) of the data will be understandably low. To have been able to auomate the production of 3D scenery covering the entire UK is quite a feat.

• Upvote 1

I've moved this to the P3D forum. The "Tips and Tricks" forums are not for asking questions; they are for giving answers... :wink:

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator