Sign in to follow this  
superdraw

Any way to turn off all default airports?

Hi, simmers!

Such an unusual request?  Here's why.

I really like to fly using photo scenery because I am a senior/age pilot and can't afford to fly for real.

So I have quite a few countries and states and this is my holiday using FSX. No checked baggage problems.  lol

I don't take off or land, just explore.  Every so often an airport runway-fsx style shows up and spoils the realism.  I would rather see the airport from the photo.

So, my tweaking friends, is there a dir or file that I can rename or remove sometimes to stop all airports from showing up.  I've searched and can't find it but there must be some way.

Like in scenery..cfg just turn off a dir would be great, then turn it  back on later.

Any ideas Please?

Thank you all in advance....

You will find the default scenery BGLs in your FSX folder, subfolder "Scenery". In there are a large number of folders with 4-digit number codes. And in there are the default scenery BGLs.

Unfortunately this is all rolled into one a bit, so you cannot just deactivate the whole default scenery (you would lose vector data, elevation information and water). But if you only want to remove the airfields, you could theoretically rename or remove the files named "APX*.BGL" from the default scenery folders. The best strategy probably is to make a copy of the whole scenery folder, then search the original scenery folder for "APX*.BGL" with the Windows Explorer search function, and then delete all the results. Just make very sure that you made that full copy beforehand!

To make it easier to find out in which of those many folders a specific airfield is, you can use ADE. The function "Open stock airport" will tell you in which BGL file the airport resides.

But if you do this, be aware that you will lose all the information about those airports too, not only the visual representation. You will have nowhere to take off from on the Free Flight window, AI traffic is gone, ATC is gone, Navaids are gone and FSX may even crash if there is no airport at all. So you should leave some of them alone.

LORBY-SI

I don't take off or land, just explore.

Have you thought about using the flight simulator feature in Google Earth

Ernest Pergrem

Hi, simmers!

Such an unusual request?  Here's why.

I really like to fly using photo scenery because I am a senior/age pilot and can't afford to fly for real.

So I have quite a few countries and states and this is my holiday using FSX. No checked baggage problems.  lol

I don't take off or land, just explore.  Every so often an airport runway-fsx style shows up and spoils the realism.  I would rather see the airport from the photo.

So, my tweaking friends, is there a dir or file that I can rename or remove sometimes to stop all airports from showing up.  I've searched and can't find it but there must be some way.

Like in scenery..cfg just turn off a dir would be great, then turn it  back on later.

Any ideas Please?

Thank you all in advance....

You should look at Aerofly 2! It's right up your alley as its coverage is all photo real.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Hello and Thanks, Guys!

No, I haven't looked at these yet but will now.

Main reason for sticking with Fsx is the previous purchases of Orbx packs and as I said several France photo sceneries as well as some of my favourite aircraft.

@Lorby_SI

Thank you very much for the excellent tutorial on scenery.

I gave it a try last night and it worked, sort of.....lol

One area I am having trouble is the Shetland Islands using Earth Simulations great scenery pack.

I think the install is ok --scenery.cfg-, etc. Scenery is great but when approaching airport -Sumburgh-dir-501 Fsx crashes and hangs.

Remove bgl file, airport gone-only photo scenery left, but on approach still hangs?

Any more ideas would be appreciated.

btw, what do  the cvx files do?

Thanks again

I'll be back...