Sign in to follow this  
bjratchf

Splitting Hairs? 6850k vs 5930k

In some discussion with Rob A, I'm trying to narrow down which CPU to use in my new build. Keep in mind there's only going to be P3D and FSX as the major players on my machine. 

Rob made the good point that 6700k wastes space with an on-chip graphics processor, and the LGA 2011-v3 processors have 15mb of L3 cache. The 5930k has 6 cores, and compared to the 6700k- the additional cores are helpful if you use 3rd party programs on the same machine.

I thought I was set on the 5930K- but now I'm seeing that there's a 6850k?

L3: 15mb

L2: 6x 256

Clock: 3.5 - 3.7 (turbo)

6 Cores

3.6 -3.8 (turbo)

6 Cores

L3: 15mb

This machine will be paired with a GTX -1080 and the CPU will be cooled with Corsair H100i V2 water system, for a moderate overclock. 

6700K seems to be the most widely used however, and everyone seems happy- these two processors seem to be out in uncharted territory, but still within my budget. I'm just wondering if they're really worth it and will provide the smooth fidelity in P3D/FSX. I've searched and there's not much out there concerning these two chips. 

My hangups have been that the 5930k is 2014 technology... the 6700k is the "latest" along with the 6850 being released in 2016. 

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Hi I would check out this video gives you in idea I personally feel it would rather be better with the newer tech if budget allows it. 

its not the 6850 but gives you in idea its really a tough choice.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1602245/6800k-vs-5930k-vs-6850k-differents-help-i-need-to-chooes-one-of-tem

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

and the question is, is it all really worth it for single-GPU gaming, on a native resolution monitor. 

Rob made the good point that 6700k wastes space with an on-chip graphics processor, and the LGA 2011-v3 processors have 15mb of L3 cache. The 5930k has 6 cores, and compared to the 6700k- the additional cores are helpful if you use 3rd party programs on the same machine.

I don't think the extra cores are of any value for addons. Look at the CPU time column:

taskmgr.jpg

Pretty much everything is a rounding error past FSX/P3D.

It's also worth noting that despite the model number, the 6850 is not the "latest" architecture. It is Broadwell-E, not Skylake.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Thanks Luke... 

So Broadwell is the latest, but they seem to have scaled back on the CPU speeds- A 6800k now gets 3.5Ghz instead of the 4.0 of the 6700k.

Is the general consensus that the 6700k is still the best for FSX/P3D- that the additional cores don't offset the loss in GHz (and additional heat to overclock a stubborn Broadwell-E)?

So Broadwell is the latest, but they seem to have scaled back on the CPU speeds- A 6800k now gets 3.5Ghz instead of the 4.0 of the 6700k.

Of course. You've got six cores' worth of heat to dissipate. And as a general rule of thumb, once you start getting into workloads where you need lots of cores, it's sufficiently parallelizable that you don't care so much about per-core speed past a certain point. I don't doubt that a Broadwell-E can do 4+ Ghz, when there's fewer of them on the die.

Yes, for me a 6700K is as good as you're likely to get for now - I'd spend the savings on better video cards, more monitors, etc

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Thanks... And sorry for the back and forth... I really thought I was set with 6850k, planning on overclocking with a corsair H100, to about 4.2GHz, which is what I see out there after searches and review reading.

Then I think of the purpose- the only taxing thing this computer will be doing is P3D/FSX- I don't compile code, edit video, do serious graphics work etc. And P3D FSX seem to do best on what simply is the fastest clock. So for the double price of the 6850k, it may not be worth it. 

I wish there were some "previous adopters" of the 6850k  that could chime in- but seeing many many 6700k happy simmers could be a good thing too. 

Unfortunately p3d is still very cpu consuming

I think the 6700k is still the best bet - clocked as much as possible and should be easy to do with your proposed cooler.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

This is a long post. For what its worth, my experience with Broadwell-E. Note 1) I don't have $$ to dedicate my computer to just flightsim. 2) I use professional graphics programs. 3) I play other games. 4) I hate to tweak and prefer flying, not chasing FPS. Smoothness is what I care.
My previous rig and game settings
- i5 4670K 3.40 GHz Overclocked to 4.20 GHz, nVidia GTX 980, Resolution 3840 X 2160 with a 43" 4K monitor.

- P3D Settings: http://www.robainscough.com/Prepar3D_Settings_2.html, but do not use NVidia Inspector or Job Scheduler tweak.

My current rig (1 month old)
- i7 6800K 3.40 GHz Overclocked to 4.006 GHz @ 1.228V, EVGA nVidia GTX1070 Founder's Edition, same resolution.
- P3D Settings: Scenery sliders fully to the right, and same monitor resolution. Still do not use NVidia Inspector or Job Scheduler settings.

Cloud Testing with REX softclouds - Heavy storm clouds over the skies of Taiwan. FL150.
Aircraft: Freeware Skyspirit 777
Spot View: 8 - 14 FPS depending on view angle, Cockpit View: 10 - 12 FPS depending on view angle

Complex airport: Aerosoft's Mega Heathrow
Aircraft: Freeware Skyspirit 777
Spot View: 16 - 22 FPS depending on view angle, Cockpit View: 18 - 23 FPS depending on view angle (Freeware Virtual Cockpit)

Same Cloud Test with new rig
Spot View: 20 - 24 FPS depending on view angle, Cockpit View: 20 - 24 FPS depending on view angle
Same Mega airport Test with new rig
Spot View: 20 - 30 FPS depending on view angle, Cockpit View: 22 - 30 FPS depending on view angle

Most obvious thing was P3D is much smoother (much less microstutters), especially in heavy clouds thanks to GTX 1070, and around major /complex airports. This was what I was after and the 6800K & GTX1070 delivered. But I won't say this chipset is the magic bullet for FPS.
OTOH, with my professional graphics program, its night and day so this upgrade was totally worth it. Last note, I chose the 6800K over the 6850K due to budget plus I didn't need the extra PCI lanes. Under load, temp is typically 50 - 55F so no heat issues. OC was straightforward.

Good luck with your decision.

Check my video I just posted here showing 5930k clocked to 4.4hz running P3Dv3 flatout with ASN16, Orbx Global, Orbx Vector and Orbx North America LC. See it in the video section or use this link. 

http://www.avsim.com/topic/492990-p3dv3-cpu-overclock-test-in-4k-asn16-orbx-open-lc-na-global-and-vector-14/#entry3463024

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Most obvious thing was P3D is much smoother (much less microstutters), especially in heavy clouds thanks to GTX 1070, and around major /complex airports. This was what I was after and the 6800K & GTX1070 delivered. But I won't say this chipset is the magic bullet for FPS.

And there are numerous posts here in this forum from happy 6700K owners who also remark how "smooth" the sim is with an absence of micro stutters. The difference is that they paid less for their CPU's AND gained frames per second. And of course they benefit from the new Z170 platform and all that provides.

The problem is, without some kind of objective metric to measure smoothness,  we are left with just subjective opinion. 

OTOH, with my professional graphics program, its night and day so this upgrade was totally worth it. 

If you can justify Broadwell E as a result of the other applications you run benefiting fair enough, but for just the sim, not in my opinion.

I can always turn down settings when I have students using my PC as a PCATD for currency, to keep sim fidelity.