Sign in to follow this  
bjratchf

The new build for your proofreading..

I've never used pcpartpicker before, but it looks to be very helpful on viewing compatibilities...

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/K4C3tJ

My concerns:

6700k vs 6850k system... Originally, I went at this thinking, 6850k (Broadwell-E) is the latest, so get that. Luke and I were discussing gains, if any, of getting the 6850k (and resulting X99 motherboard). I'm not on a budget, but I'm also not looking to be that person that notices "oh look, I gained 3 FPS by paying twice as much!" Benchmarks concerning FSX/P3D are somewhat spotty for the 6850k, but very certain run well on 6700k.

Here's a benchmark that puts the 6700k up to the newer broadwell chips, and there isn't much FPS difference. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10337/the-intel-broadwell-e-review-core-i7-6950x-6900k-6850k-and-6800k-tested-up-to-10-cores/8

The one thing that is on my mind- is that the extra cores are used for terrain/texture rendering, and could be very useful for smooth/stutter free operation. 

-----

M.2 SSD. The motherboard has a slot for an M.2, and so I thought that a 500GB samsung EVO would take the place of the main C:/. I'm just worried that the chip won't fit, or the header isn't the right format. There's PCIE Gen 3 x4, (does that mean it goes in a PCI slot?), U.2 (does that not fit in the M.2 slot?) and the various sizes. I'm kind of taking a chance I think. 

EDIT:

It looks like the M.2 I've selected 

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/VrH48d/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mzn5e500bw

Is not a fast "32Gb/s!" module... I don't know why though. 

NickN writes on simforums...

"The primary difference is the DDR4 support and differences with cores and lanes 

To be quite honest I see no reason to sink the money into the platform yet. DDR3 with a higher CPU clock still wins. That may change down the road and probably will but right now CPU speed is still king so designing a system with good high speed DDR3 with the intent of clocking to 4.4-4.5 would be the faster system for FSX

Unless you use the system whereby the software takes advantage of the new Intel instructions and the extended features the 59X series allows, which FSX wont, moving into that processor may actually be a hindrance if you are unable to achieve a high enough clock 

Now I will say this, given the 10-15% increase in efficiency if you can obtain a clock in the range of 4.3 with the platform and assuming the memory isn't dog slow due to timing, it could be better but in my mind marginal at best. This time period is not quite right for jumping ship from one to the other. That probably wont come for another year or so..."

-----------------------------------------

This argument supports the 6700k with its high base clock speeds, rather than "I hope I can overclock a Broadwell 6850k to 4.2"

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

I like the build

Only thing I'd change is to go Seasonic for the power supply example http://pcpartpicker.com/product/W9MFf7/seasonic-power-supply-platinum860

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I would agree with Ryan re the PSU. Corsair, Seasonic, Enermax, Antec, any of the top makes. I favour Enermax multi-rail.

Regrading the graphics card, EVGA for me as opposed to Gigabyte, top quality card and great support.

I believe the NZXT H440 you specified can take a 280 rad on top... if so, I would go for the Corsair H110 for cooling. Cooler and quieter than the H100.

The one thing that is on my mind- is that the extra cores are used for terrain/texture rendering, and could be very useful for smooth/stutter free operation.

Those that have opted for the 6700K are claiming a super smooth experience too. I'll verify that in a few days when I build.

Broadwell E is ridiculously expensive. What you have to ask yourself is if a purely hypothetical increase in smoothness is worth such a huge outlay. I would say absolutely not. Claims that Broadwell E's extra cores are beneficial are purely hypothetical. If there is an advantage it will be minor, and you sacrifice a chunk of megahertz for the privilege.

Z170 is a newer architecture that brings to the table much that is advantageous.

Broadwell E is a rip-off. Don't fall for it.

Broadwell E is a rip-off. Don't fall for it.

Agree, if we're talking about ESP/FSX/P3D usage.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Agree, if we're talking about ESP/FSX/P3D usage.

You could argue that for any application Broadwell E is a rip-off though. 

£1,399 for a Broadwell E 6950X, or £947 for the 6900K is utterly insane. Lets face it, Intel have always taken advantage when it comes to so called "Extreme" CPU's.

I'd love to know how much the mark up is on a £1,399 CPU!  :smile: