Sign in to follow this  
VH_JLC

Landing lights on clouds

Morning all,

I've recently jumped on the Xplane wagon after the FF767 was released and I still fly in P3dV3 a lot to but one thing that has really caught me attention is the the way the landing lights react with the in sim clouds.

In Xplane flying through clouds the lights reflect off them and look great as you're flying through them on approach, I initially thought I was having monitor issues and than common sense kicked in lol 

And it's left me wondering why this can't be achieved in P3D with it's volumetric weather and all this new AS16/cloud art and equivalent Hifi products??

Would it be down to the plane developer?

Cheers

Josh

Cheers Josh Cliff

Agree, that would be very cool.

\Robert Hamlich/

FSFX has attempted to do it with some of their craft but what ends up being the problem is that for some god forsaken reason P3D simply does not know when the plane is entering the cloud so it is very inconsistent. A good example of that is for example the new "Cloud Motion" effect from AS16. It makes no sense the way it makes it. For example I can be in a cloud or approaching it and the effect does not trigger then the plane leaves the cloud and all of a sudden it starts. :unknw: . So for that to happen P3D has to change the whole cloud model in the simulator and I just don't know how committed they are to actually do that. 

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

The p3d cloud model is itself broken at places . .some of the clouds are just plain 2d sprites..the cloud rotation issue becomes very obvious when using oculus rift..you are going through the overcast and all you see is clouds rotating to left and right..breaks the whole immersion..not sure how the light effect would be modeled with these rotating clouds..

Morning all,

I've recently jumped on the Xplane wagon after the FF767 was released and I still fly in P3dV3 a lot to but one thing that has really caught me attention is the the way the landing lights react with the in sim clouds.

In Xplane flying through clouds the lights reflect off them and look great as you're flying through them on approach, I initially thought I was having monitor issues and than common sense kicked in lol 

And it's left me wondering why this can't be achieved in P3D with it's volumetric weather and all this new AS16/cloud art and equivalent Hifi products??

Cheers

Josh

I think you need the latest version of SkyMaxx Pro in order to obtain lights reflecting on clouds. It is not a built in function in default X-Plane.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

As far as I know, unlike XP10, the landing light in P3D is not true 3D lighting, hence the effect you want is totally impossible.

Morning all,

Cheers

Josh

me too

add your support here

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6317&t=117931&p=132148#p132148

Will do mate,

And thanks for the responses guys, so back to my question it means that the guys at Hifi or Rex the weather developers would have to implement it and not so muchnthe Ac or p3d teams

Cheers

Josh

Cheers Josh Cliff

I can't remember anymore, because it's such an old addon, but A2A's 3D Shockwave lights cast light out into space. Their landing light may give the illusion of illuminating the clouds.

• Upvote 1

I can't remember anymore, because it's such an old addon, but A2A's 3D Shockwave lights cast light out into space. Their landing light may give the illusion of illuminating the clouds.

Yes it seems to do. I added a front wheel landing light (as taxi light) to the Shrike and it not only illuminates the sky. And it is volumetric.

It is not optimized for P3D but it does the job for me (seeing the center line while taxiing at night.)

Note to self: I need to learn how to mod effects.

Cool. I wouldn't suggest trying to install all the Shockwave lights into P3dV3 with the native installer, but copying individual effects from an FSX installation like you did, can't hurt anything as long as one makes a backup of each modified aircraft.cfg.

I wouldn't suggest trying to install all the Shockwave lights into P3dV3 with the native installer, but copying individual effects from an FSX installation like you did, can't hurt anything as long as one makes a backup of each modified aircraft.cfg.

Exactly.

Here are 2 pics from Yesterday. MMTO-MMPS. Nasty weather + wind-shear galore  AS16.

My plane was tossed around like a kite.

This was NOT the ideal airplane for this mission, probably should have returned to base and

change to the 350i.

Using Shockwave narrow Xenon LL as Taxi Light.

Light OFF

LL-OFF2016-8-9_23-22-59-82.jpg

Light ON

LL-ON2016-8-9_23-23-1-59.jpg

Sorry, they are a bit dark here.

Cheers

• Upvote 2

Cool. I wouldn't suggest trying to install all the Shockwave lights into P3dV3 with the native installer, but copying individual effects from an FSX installation like you did, can't hurt anything as long as one makes a backup of each modified aircraft.cfg.

Great suggestion. I just wish they would just get along with it and make a native installer. Or if FSFX packages were to take up the baton and make a competitor package, I'd be all over that in a second (miss seeing my AI aircraft at night). Given the magic FSFX have done with weather effects, I'd recon they would do a better job than A2A on the lighting effects as well.

Since a number of the better 3rd party aircraft already have volumetric lighting, maybe A2A doesn't see a big market for the product. Also, it's relatively easy for a user to edit .fx files, once you understand the file structure, which can be found in the P3d SDK. Here's the editing utility:

http://www.scenerydesign.org/fxeditor/

Also, it's relatively easy for a user to edit .fx files, once you understand the file structure, which can be found in the P3d SDK. Here's the editing utility:

http://www.scenerydesign.org/fxeditor/

Jay, thanks for the link. I should have thought of that!