Sign in to follow this  
alderon57

Open LC North America - impressions?

I saw a few comments and photos over in the Orbx' forums.

Anyone here have it installed?  What are your opinions?  I am thinking more about accuracy than beauty; as I'm sure it looks great.

Ron

It's very good overall and in 98% of areas is a huge improvement over anything else (the "full fat" OrbX regions are still better for those areas, although with OpenLC NA installed you also get the new night lighting features overlaid over the regions.)

There are some glitches and such that are being looked at and hopefully will be addressed in service packs (things like autogen appearing on top of certain airports, incorrect landclass here or there, but you have to expect some of this for such a MASSIVE coverage area.)

I think it's outstanding. I did a nice VFR trip during the day and thought "Eh, this is an improvement, albeit a minor one". But then I set up for a nice long flight, which was expected to arrive after sunset and I was greeted with perhaps the greatest enhancement to P3D to date-- the night lighting. I was hooked from the moment I approached the glowing city, and since then I've found that the VFR flights throughout the day are much more enjoyable with the updated land class. All in all, it has grown on me the more I've flown with it, and is something I now consider more of a necessity than an accessory. And it is nice and easy on the frames.

Hope this helps,

HM

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think it's a huge improvement, especially the night lighting, seems like we have full regions all over NA now. One thing I especially love is the night lighting, I love how it's extends so far out in the distance, not even X-Plane does that.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I'll add to the crowd. The night lighting, especially the fact that it overlays the FTX regions, is really, really nice. If you are able to take advantage of the discount from owning the previous OpenLC package, it's worth the price of admission all by itself.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I agree that olcna is terrific but am I the only person that is plagued by the shimmering of the night lights in the distance? I've tried everything to reduce the effect but to no avail. My 970 won't let me run sgss without sending my fps through the floor. I'm running p3d 3.3 on a 3440x1440 monitor so I'd be interested to know what other users are seeing.

I also have that problem with shimmering night lighting in the distance also. I really don't want to use NI, and I have my Antisoptric at 16x and MSAA at 8x in P3D. 

For now I'll have to live with those shimmering lights. I really don't want to lose any more FPS.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Yeah, unfortunately there's not a lot you can do in P3D for AA unless you run something like 1080s in SLI (or are prepared to take the FPS hit.)

To get the night lighting is this the only thing you need? Or do I need all three products?

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Two words from usage:

BUY IT!    :hi:

I also have that problem with shimmering night lighting in the distance also. I really don't want to use NI, and I have my Antisoptric at 16x and MSAA at 8x in P3D. 

For now I'll have to live with those shimmering lights. I really don't want to lose any more FPS.

Actually night gas and arc lighting does shimmer, when viewed on a shallow plane (long distance from your viewing position) caused by thermal currents and difference in air temperature.  Same as the mirage effect upon hot asphalt.

That being, I have no issues with a little shimmer...looks real, just like the star (starlight) twinkle effect you can dial up with Steve's DX10 Fixer. I have that on as well. 

To get the night lighting is this the only thing you need? Or do I need all three products?

I believe that the new lighting system, is included with the N.A. OpenLC complete which overwrites the older system supplied by FTX_Global.

I'm using UTX, open lc and global (no vector) and I have the night lighting.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

If I could ask a huge favor from someone: I would love to see a screenshot of the Shenandoah Valley in VA, from Front Royal looking south towards Luray.  That will tell me whether to stick with my custom "mix-and-match" scenery files, or switch to OLCNA.

I love the Orbx regions, so this new package is very tempting.

It can be posted, or PM me.  Thanks in advance!

Ron

If I could ask a huge favor from someone: I would love to see a screenshot of the Shenandoah Valley in VA, from Front Royal looking south towards Luray.  That will tell me whether to stick with my custom "mix-and-match" scenery files, or switch to OLCNA.

posted some shots of the area here. the 6th 9th and 10th are looking south from that spot. sorry they sort of uploaded out of order. they look sort of blurry for some reason which is probably related to the jpg settings, i did not spend very much time on this

http://imgur.com/a/A6e6o

cheers

-andy crosby