Sign in to follow this  
pb1059

Windows 10 Issues?

I'm a newby to flight simulation in general.  I've procured a new pc with Windows 10 OS.

I'm having several issues with XP10, as follows:

I cannot save a new logbook and X-plane has not created the "X-Plane Pilot.txt" file the instructions mention.

Secondly, I've downloaded some custom scenery for a few local airports but there does not seem to be any additional scenery generated.

Finally, I have not been able to file a flight plan when attempting to use ATC.

I've read elsewhere (don't recall if it was on AVSIM or not) that there are some rumored issues with Windows 10 compatibility.

Can anyone confirm or debunk that rumor, and does anyone have suggestions for me.

Thanks in advance.

Yup... Avoid W10 like the plague.

I've tried several times to upgrade to W10, only to fail with a myriad of issues that were only solved by going back to W8.1

In my humble opinion, W10 is the worst product to ever come out of Microsoft.

Ray S.

Check out my aviation portfolio:

http://scottshangar.net

Encouraging! So Windows 8 would be your suggestion.  Not ideal, but thanks nonetheless.

Does anyone know if fixes are in the works?

I'm a newby to flight simulation in general. I've procured a new pc with Windows 10 OS.

Hope you enjoy yourself! Obviously, many of us think that flight simulation is pretty darn interesting. :smile: If you need XP help, the general forum is a great place to start.

I'm newly upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7, so I'll try to help with a few of these problems.

I cannot save a new logbook and X-plane has not created the "X-Plane Pilot.txt" file the instructions mention.

I've had no issues with this; I just fired up XP and created a new logbook to check. XP isn't the most intuitive in it's creating a new logbook - once you enter a new name, you don't really have an opportunity to press a 'save' button. Once it shows the screen that shows your first would-be entry, you simply close the window by clicking on one of the 'x' buttons in the top corners of the logbook window. It will be created; you can check it by navigating to your XP folder, then to /output/logbooks.

Secondly, I've downloaded some custom scenery for a few local airports but there does not seem to be any additional scenery generated.

It sounds more like you might have some issues in adding your custom scenery. You have to place the folder with the custom scenery in the Custom Scenery Folder, ensuring that the folder you're copying in isn't contained within a folder itself - Custom Scenery/KXXX Airport/KXXX Airport/(actual airport files and folders) won't work, for example, it would need to be Custom Scenery/KXXX Airport/(actual airport files and folders). I bring this point up because I've done it myself. In addition, if you're using a custom scenery from the .org, you may need other libraries. Lastly, you need to open up the Custom Scenery/scenery_packs.ini file with a text editor, general safe rule is that any custom airports go up towards the top of this file.

It's easy - once you get the hang of it. To start with, it's not the most well explained thing. Best thing is to look carefully at what's in the Custom Scenery folder, and then open the Custom Scenery/scenery_packs.ini file to get a feel for how it fits together.

Finally, I have not been able to file a flight plan when attempting to use ATC.

This I can't help you with, I never use the ATC. Perhaps someone else could chime in.

I've read elsewhere (don't recall if it was on AVSIM or not) that there are some rumored issues with Windows 10 compatibility.

I've had absolutely zero issues with compatibility with Win10 and XP.  Everything (for me) simply works the very same as it did before.

To be honest, I'm not sure that you're really seeing issues with Win10 here, I think it's more simply just that it takes a bit to learn the platform.  Again, I suggest posting any individual issues in the General XP forum, there's lots of helpful people there that might see it, and plenty of them know far more than I do!!!

• Upvote 1

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Not only.

As per the problem(s) listed by the OP I'd think to an installation done into some system folders where authorisation issues could be involved.

@pb1059: can you please attach (no copy/paste) your log.txt?

You find it in the root folder of X-Plane.

Our web site: http://ats-simulations.com/

Our MD-82/83 Project Youtube channel: A.T.S. Aircraft Training Solutions

Video development preview created by Thomas Rasmussen: Aircraft Training Solutions (A.T.S.) MD-82 for X-Plane 10 - Preview

Encouraging! So Windows 8 would be your suggestion.  Not ideal, but thanks nonetheless.

Does anyone know if fixes are in the works?

So on the basis of someone saying the have a myriad of problems (whatever they may be) with Windows 10 you intend to use Windows 8? I myself have been using Windows 10 for 1 year and have had no problems whatsoever with X-Plane or any other game or application for that matter. It is more likely the problems you are experiencing have nothing to do with Windows 10 at all.

1. I cannot save a new logbook and X-plane has not created the "X-Plane Pilot.txt" file the instructions mention.
  2. Secondly, I've downloaded some custom scenery for a few local airports but there does not seem to be any additional scenery generated.
  3. Finally, I have not been able to file a flight plan when attempting to use ATC.

1. Where is your X-Plane installed, in which folder. It's usually best to install it to C:\X-Plane or D:\X-Plane whatever and not into ..\Program Files\.. I can create logbooks pretty easily.

2. This would have very little do do with Windows 10 but more on how your scenery_pack,ini is setup I think

3. The ATC in X-Plane is pretty dismal, Windows 8 won't fix that either.

As @Alfamike mentioned attach your log.txt file and it will be easier to see what is going wrong at least with the scenery part. It's all fine and dandy people saying Windows 10 is no good but when they do not back those claims up with evidence or examples then I tend to read over those kind of comments.

My installation is on the desktop as suggested by Laminar Research.  I've tried attaching the log.txt using Ctrl-V and the paste command from the right click pull down.  I get the following when I use the paste icon in the reply menu:

Because of your browser security settings, the editor is not able to access your clipboard data directly. You are required to paste it again in this window.
Please paste inside the following box using the keyboard (Ctrl/Cmd+V) and hit OK

Also an no-go.  I've been using Google Chrome but tried Internet Explorer with the same results.

1. Where is your X-Plane installed, in which folder. It's usually best to install it to C:\X-Plane or D:\X-Plane whatever and not into ..\Program Files\.. I can create logbooks pretty easily.

Just an Info,  this is an relic from FSX/P3D.  X-Plane doesn't care where you put the folder.  You can even close x-plane, move the folder onto another HDD, and then start x-plane again like nothing happend (well apart from some third party drm that might need reactivating)

X-Plane doesn't care where you put the folder. 

X-Plane doesn't care, operating system do... if you put X-Plane root folder inside any system folder you'll have very easily authorisation issues and, therefore, problems with the simulator.

@pb1059: you have to attach the file, not copy/paste it... click on 'more reply options', after that under the text box where you write your post you'll see a section named 'Attach Files', choose the log click on 'attach this file' button and, lastly, click on 'add to post'.

• Upvote 1

Video development preview created by Thomas Rasmussen: Aircraft Training Solutions (A.T.S.) MD-82 for X-Plane 10 - Preview

@pb1059: you have to attach the file, not copy/paste it... click on 'more reply options', after that under the text box where you write your post you'll see a section named 'Attach Files', choose the log click on 'attach this file' button and, lastly, click on 'add to post'.

The "more reply options" page that displays does not have an "attach files" section under the text box.  In the bottom of the border surrounding the text box are buttons marked: 'add reply', 'preview post' or 'cancel', but that's all.

Perhaps I do not have full posting privileges as a new subscriber.   I've made an issue report with AVSIM to try to sort this out.

In the meantime thanks for your input and advice.

Mmmmm, perhaps a new subscriber really do need a minimum number of posts before to be able to attach a file, but I do not find anything specific into the FAQs... try to copy and paste only the first 15/20 lines of the log, you should be able do to that.

Not a single of my sims ever caused me a problem with Win 10. 

Well, TBH, the only quirk happened last week when  upgraded to the Anniversary edition, which is even better than the previous versions, and had to redefine my FSX:SE Nvidia Inspector profile... All other drivers, sims, applications whatever they are, work perfectly with no issues.

I don't really think your problems are related to Win 10. Are you using a specific AV program ? Might that be the cause ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I have several friends,not having X-Plane, who like to "fly" occasionally.

When I visit them I take my WD Elements 1Tb portable harddisk (containing a copy from my X-Plane install,) my Disk1 and my joystick with me. 
Put my Disk1 in their DVD-player, plug in my joystick and fire up X-Plane from my portable disk. (yes, directly from the portable USB3-hard-disk)
Whatever the Windows version ( Vista and later ) it NEVER failed.

Yesterday I installed my complete X-Plane ( without payware, I removed that first at my home) on a friends PC.
He purchased the X-Plane disks himself and flies completely legal with his own Disk1 in the drive.
It only saved him some weeks of installing hundreds of airports, orthofotos, freeware-aircraft with hundreds of liveries, plugins etc.

Also this time on a Win10 machine.

We just had to calibrate his joystick ( we do not have the same ) and assign some buttons.
It took less than an hour and works flawless.

Nothing wrong with Win10 & X- Plane

• Upvote 2

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

And indeed, further to Win 10, X-Plane 10 is probably the most trouble-free simulator to install / configure.... Well, Aerowinx PSX too ( Java-based ).

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Suggestion is to just set "X-Plane.exe" and "X-Plane-32Bit.exe" to run as administrator.

X-Plane will then be able to create and edit files wherever they happen to be. Don't even need to disable UAC.

• Upvote 1