Sign in to follow this  
pb1059

Windows 10 Issues?

Hi,

I have no complaints about Windows 10 and X=Plane 10. They seem to work fine together.

Incidentally, I have X-Plane installed on a separate SSD drive.

Jim Morgan

No problems what so ever with W10. Works like a charm. To say that W10 is the worst that ever came out of MS is.. wel.. not so true.

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Yup... Avoid W10 like the plague.

I've tried several times to upgrade to W10, only to fail with a myriad of issues that were only solved by going back to W8.1

In my humble opinion, W10 is the worst product to ever come out of Microsoft.

Strongly disagree.....Upgraded from 8.1 to 10, and now to the Anniversary Update...no issues whatsoever...and a great operating system..obviously this is very much system dependent...

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Suggestion is to just set "X-Plane.exe" and "X-Plane-32Bit.exe" to run as administrator.

X-Plane will then be able to create and edit files wherever they happen to be. Don't even need to disable UAC.

I strongly advice NOT to do this.

X-Plane will only search for this files in its own directory.

When windows placed those files elswhere X-Plane is getting in trouble.

But even when those things do not happen, doing it will cause X-Plane files being stored outside the X-Plane folder wich is not very handy when making a backup of X-Plane anyways.

• Upvote 1

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

I strongly advice NOT to do this.

X-Plane will only search for this files in its own directory.

When windows placed those files elswhere X-Plane is getting in trouble.

But even when those things do not happen, doing it will cause X-Plane files being stored outside the X-Plane folder wich is not very handy when making a backup of X-Plane anyways.

I am no IT expert but I think this is wrong. X-Plane will always save its files to it's own folder and not anywhere else. The idea of giving the .exe files administrator status is to make sure that the X-Plane folder has the relevant permission to read and write files to itself. Sometime when any folder is copied to another location, the read/write permissions can change making saving files an issue. Feel free to correct me if this is wrong.

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

I am not an expert too, so lets hope a real expert will tell.

Most important is NOT to install X-Plane under Program-files.

Just in its own folder , no matter on wich disk in your computer.
If you do that there is no need for giving the x-plane exe files the administrator status.
I have been using X-Plane onder various Windows versions for many years now and I never had the need to give X-Plane administrator-rights.

Place X-Plane in its own folder on one of your harddisks and NEVER place the X-Plane directory in Program-Files.

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Place X-Plane in its own folder on one of your harddisks and NEVER place the X-Plane directory in Program-Files.

Program Files or every other system folder, no matter which one.

Put the root folder of X-Plane on desktop, on C:\ root, everywhere you want but not in any system folder in order to avoid authorisation issues (yes, you can get them even if you launch the simulator running it as administrator).

Our web site: http://ats-simulations.com/

Our MD-82/83 Project Youtube channel: A.T.S. Aircraft Training Solutions

Video development preview created by Thomas Rasmussen: Aircraft Training Solutions (A.T.S.) MD-82 for X-Plane 10 - Preview

I too just did a fresh install of Windows 10, It's fast and X-Plane runs like a dream. Never been better

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png