Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Starting Kodiak Floatplane.

I just got the Kodiak Quest which I really like. The only problem I was having was starting the Floatplane version in the water,  and trying to follow the instructions in the Pilots Flight Manual, caused the floatplane to start a takeoff roll as soon as I hit the starter switch, even with the prop fully feathered and power lever at zero.Since there is no parking brake on this aircraft, this many times resulted into a crash into the dock or shoreline.  

I found a way to start this turbine, that works every time in the floatplane. Put the condition lever and prop and power levers all at minimum. Then start fuel pump and then starter, and then very slowly advance the red condition lever just barely, around 5% ( rather than the 40% that the manual recommends). After a few seconds, with the prop now spinning,  turn on the ignitor, and you are running, without the aircraft surging forward. Once it is running the condition lever can be advanced to 40% for taxi.  Works every time. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Thought I had this solved, but it is erratic an over half the time I wind up speeding ahead as soon as the engine starts. not very immersive. Back to the beaver. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

OK I have a consistent start procedure now with  amphibian model:

1 Turn on battery and Avionics

2. Start fuel pump. check if fuel pressure is coming up

3. Cycle the Throttle, Prop and Condition levers from full forward to full back

4. Now this is the trick that did it..... Hit  the F2 quickly key once, and only once.  If you hit it multiple times, when the engine starts, the aircraft will surge backwards. 

5. Turn on the start and ignition switches. 

6. Move the condition lever ( red knob) a tiny bit forward, if you use the mouse it should read no more than 5%.  The prop will start turning when you do this, and the engine will start, without the aircraft moving. 

7 Once the engine starts and is running you can move the power lever forward to around 20-40% and the aircraft will remain stationary. 

"7 Once the engine starts and is running you can move the power lever forward to around 20-40% and the aircraft will remain stationary."

Hmmmmm. How does the aircraft stay stationary when adding power especially w/o the help of brakes?

"7 Once the engine starts and is running you can move the power lever forward to around 20-40% and the aircraft will remain stationary."

Hmmmmm. How does the aircraft stay stationary when adding power especially w/o the help of brakes?

In the Flight Manual the red lever is called the " Power Condition Lever"....I tried to use the same terminology as was used in the manual. I probably should have just called it the condition lever, which is the one where you set the idle speed. 

In a turboprop engine, the condition lever acts as a metered fuel-flow valve. By barely cracking open the valve via the lever, you are minimizing the amount of fuel the engine is getting.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

In a turboprop engine, the condition lever acts as a metered fuel-flow valve. By barely cracking open the valve via the lever, you are minimizing the amount of fuel the engine is getting.

And in the real Kodiak, it has three detent positions , low idle, flight idle and full power. 

Bob, what you are doing is working around a defect in the sim's turbine engine algorithm that was never fixed.

Fr. Bill    

Fr. Bill,

A question for you... have you encountered similar issues with PT-6 equipped airplanes, regardless of the Sim platform? If so, have you found an adequate fix?

Thanks!

Alan  :smile:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Unfortunately, except for custom coding a suitable model outside of the sim's engine, no.

Fr. Bill    

Bob, what you are doing is working around a defect in the sim's turbine engine algorithm that was never fixed.

That could be, but since my workaround works 100% of the time, I am happy with this aircraft. Probably have 15 hours in it already, almost all of it on water takeoffs and landings in Alaska and BC.   

It is one of my favorite aircraft to fly as well, Bob!

Fr. Bill    

If that is you favorite Fr Bill make sure you look at the new Xplane Kodiac by Tharanda...even if you do not like X -Plane it shows what can be done....engine modelling and handling not to mention appearance.

Harry Woodrow