Sign in to follow this  
Juergen

Airport Gate Lighting

Hallo,

Anybody know if there is a way to have a parking gate illuminated?

The only light is coming from the windows of the terminal waiting area and vehicle headlights (not realistic - should be spot lights on the terminal building or pole lights). It is difficult to see (GSX operation) if you arrive after dark.

Thanks

Juergen

Brgds

Juergen Mader

Does this happen only at one airport?  Default or payware airport?  Do you have all of the latest "Live Updates" for

GSX?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

The scenery complexity setting in FSX can also affect whether or not lights are visible.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

It happens at all airports at night. I just flew to EDDF(Frankfurt) and parked a LH Cargo plane at spot 34 and there are no lights except from the airport. But it's the same on any gate. I just downloaded GSX about 2 weeks ago, so I would think it's the latest version. Any ideas how to adjust the scenery complexity so that lights should be visible?

Thanks

Juergen

Brgds

Juergen Mader

Adjust the Scenery Complexity slider to the max position!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hi Charly,

Can you take a look at these screenshots and tell me if this is the proper lighting level in particular O'Hare. The Frankfurt Cargo shots I am not so sure. I can't see any light posts or building mounted floods, so it might be the scenery file.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141330124@N05/shares/B78y0i

Thanks for your help

Juergen Mader

Brgds

Juergen Mader

Night lighting at default FSX airports is pretty lacking!

This is default O'Hare at night.

Ohare.jpg

Charlie Aron

It happens at all airports at night. I just flew to EDDF(Frankfurt) and parked a LH Cargo plane at spot 34 and there are no lights except from the airport. But it's the same on any gate. I just downloaded GSX about 2 weeks ago, so I would think it's the latest version. Any ideas how to adjust the scenery complexity so that lights should be visible?

Thanks

Juergen

Not sure what gate lights you are expecting but GSX doesn't have gate lights and the default airports don't usually have any gate lights as well.

Typically the only lighting you'll see at airports will come from after market airports that you'll have to buy or maybe some freeware airports.

In the case of turning up the scenery complexity slider, while it's true that it is linked to scenery objects, such as lights, if an airport doesn't have lights to begin with them the slider won't make a difference.

Keep in mind that default airports are usually lacking in lots of cosmetic features like this and usually only provide the basic lights for runways and taxiways.

Hi Charly,

Can you take a look at these screenshots and tell me if this is the proper lighting level in particular O'Hare. The Frankfurt Cargo shots I am not so sure. I can't see any light posts or building mounted floods, so it might be the scenery file.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141330124@N05/shares/B78y0i

Thanks for your help

Juergen Mader

The lights in you photo are not actually projecting light beams, which is a function of the scenery developer. Default airports don't have projecting light beams from the poles but some Addon airports do.

However, the way FSX works, even airports that have projecting lights will not actually light up the plane when you pull in. They may have light splashes on the ground where the light beam would be hitting but it won't illuminate your plane.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi,

I understand what Jim is saying with the default scenery.

So if I compare my purchased addon O'Hare airport scenery with Charlie's screenshot, I get better lighting from the addon (see screenshot):

https://flic.kr/p/Lv5uNc

Thanks for help

Hi again,

Just made a screenshot of Frankfurt (freeware) and Chicago (payware) to see the lighting difference!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141330124@N05/shares/06Ys6h

Brgds

Juergen Mader

This is a sample of the best addon airport for night lighting that I have.  It's a freeware version of Princess Juliana.

It gives credence to jimburke's  explanation of light that splashes on the ground but not the aircraft.

juliana.jpg

Charlie Aron

The one thing that is nice about GSX is that after selecting a gate, you are hinted to which gate you're going to by the presence of Marshallers and ground service equipment.

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

The one thing that is nice about GSX is that after selecting a gate, you are hinted to which gate you're going to by the presence of Marshallers and ground service equipment.

I gotta ask this......if there isn't much light near the gate at night, can you still see the Marshallers standing there?

Charlie Aron

If I remember correctly - they are night textured. You'll be able to see their reflective vests.

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity