Sign in to follow this  
YukonPete

60 Minutes look at the F35

It's just a matter of time until a way is found to jam UAV signals which will totally invalidate their usefulness. I wouldn't put my eggs in that basket at all. 

jamming mobile phone signals in a building is easy. Jamming directed signals (that are 100x more stronger than mobile phone signals) to satelites, on planes tens of kilometers away from you and you do not know the location from, is nigh on impossible and will always be.  Plus you still have the option of the playing flying autonomous. :)

Ah, but now you're talking autonomous aircraft. If it were just unmanned, you'd still need an armchair pilot flying it from the base.

.... and LM have been training us all for the last few years!!  :Whistle:

• Upvote 1

.... and LM have been training us all for the last few years!!  :Whistle:

Good one, Dave.

Now you've got me worrying when my 'Call-up' papers are going to drop thrugh the letterbox...I've been simming since '86.

Do you think that they've forgotten my details ? :Nail Biting:

Regards

Bill

• Upvote 1

Good one, Dave.

Now you've got me worrying when my 'Call-up' papers are going to drop thrugh the letterbox...I've been simming since '86.

Do you think that they've forgotten my details ? :Nail Biting:

Regards

Bill

I don't mind putting the hours in Bill - just as long as they cover the cost of the broadband! :LMAO:

edit: RAF Woodvale Bill? Sounds like you are in training already!!

• Upvote 1

Excellent conversation!

As a Canadian my country has been caught in the gray foggy middle ground of the valley of indecision with the F35.

The more Canadians are told about it, the less certain we seem to be. One thing for certain, if we go this route the Royal Canadian Air Force will be very small.  Indeed, The F35, if adopted by the RCAF, will result in far fewer aircraft at a much later date than otherwise would have been.

I don't know what we should do, let alone have an informed opinion on its adoption for others. I am quite underwhelmed, but admittedly in a gray fog about it, like many of us might be. 

Kindest regards

Excellent conversation!

As a Canadian my country has been caught in the gray foggy middle ground of the valley of indecision with the F35.

The more Canadians are told about it, the less certain we seem to be. One thing for certain, if we go this route the Royal Canadian Air Force will be very small.  Indeed, The F35, if adopted by the RCAF, will result in far fewer aircraft at a much later date than otherwise would have been.

I don't know what we should do, let alone have an informed opinion on its adoption for others. I am quite underwhelmed, but admittedly in a gray fog about it, like many of us might be. 

Kindest regards

As I am both an Aussie and Canadian the biggest difference I see between Australia and Canada is military spending. Australia spends far more money on national defense then Canada yet Australia has a smaller population. Canada seems to piggy back on America when it comes to national defense. Like the Kiwi's do with Australia. What I really notice here in Canada is all the armed forces use old and tired equipment and when the government says anything about spending money on defense the media and public go crazy.

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Thank you for those helpful observations about Canada and our military ranking Pete. Much appreciated!

All the more, since we do have limited funds available, it is necessary for us to make the right decisions in our military procurement. Whether or not to continue with the F35 program is painful, as others have pointed out, due to considerations regarding cost/benefit per F35 copy, and the timetable for sufficient numbers required for full RCAF implementation.

Kind regards,

My view is Canada should have bought the rights to produce the F-18 Super Hornet from Boeing and build them in Quebec. They did this in the past with the Canadair CF-104 Starfighter.

Matthew Kane

My view is Canada should have bought the rights to produce the F-18 Super Hornet from Boeing and build them in Quebec. They did this in the past with the Canadair CF-104 Starfighter.

The Super Hornet is a great jet! Here is another 60 minutes clip. This time on the Aussie Super Hornets.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHcaI7Sw4II

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Hi Matthew, good to see you.

Apparently another offer is in the making from others, but who knows. Trudeau campaigned against the F35 but after elected backed-down from the back-out, sort-of. 

I expect something a bit more solid will be forthcoming before parliament resumes..

Kind regards, 

A next gen Avro Arrow? ;)

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

The Avro Arrow would have been the F-35 of its day, too bad it never got into production.

Canada is still a Level 3 Industrial Partner in the F-35 program, so even if they never buy a jet they will still be able to supply components for it, and make some of that money back. Another idea is to split the order between a smaller CF-35 fleet and a larger CF-18 Super Hornet fleet, this way to not put all your eggs in one basket. Potentially the CF-35 could be grounded due to problems and the CF-18 makes for a great backup. We will see what comes out of the latest Procurement.

Hi Matthew, good to see you.

Good to see you too Stephen, hope you are enjoying your summer in the Maritimes, I heard its a hot one

Cheers

Matthew Kane

The Avro Arrow would have been the F-35 of its day, too bad it never got into production.

Well, technically it was in production. Much like the F-35, they started manufacturing the production models before the test program was complete. When it was cancelled, there were at least a half dozen, I think, in various stages of production on the assembly line, with a couple essentially flight worthy (or very soon to be).

While a modern Arrow would be cool in some ways, it would cost far too much and take so long, we might as well stick with the F-35. A mix of Super Hornets and F-35s may not be a bad mix, although a little more costly than just having one model in the fleet.

RAF Woodvale Bill? Sounds like you are in training already!!

Nah, I just live under the R03 approach.

Not to hijack the thread, but I've been lucky enough to have flown as baggage with a PPL friend in a Warrior, with a video camera, and as a result I've produced my own scenery, with ai etc. (Look for it in the library)

A frustrating task though - I included some 800 trees, and 12,000 houses....it wasn't until P3d arrived that I had decent frame rates.

Regards

Bill

• Upvote 1