Sign in to follow this  
Midcon113

FSX:SE and Networked Configuration?

So, I'm starting to rebuild my FSX:SE install and thinking of a few things now that I also have a new computer on the way.  I have the AivlaSoft EFB product, purchased for the box version of FSX, and I'm looking to add either Active Sky Next (since it's DLC now) or AS16 for the weather engine.  I have two questions:

1) Can the EFB and AS16/ASN products be run on a networked computer, reducing overhead on the FSX:SE machine? (I'm fairly certain EFB can be run on a network computer for the boxed edition, but how successful is it with the Steam Edition?)

2) Conversely, should I worry about this given the following specs on the new PC:

• i5 6600k
  • 16 gigs DDR4 ram
  • GTX 970 video card
  • Primarily going to fly PMDG 777/J41, Aerosoft Airbus series, potentially Blackbox A330/A340, and miscellaneous Captain Sim products

Bonus Question: If a networked setup is the way to go, what else should I consider running on the networked machine to improve performance while enhancing the FSX:SE experience?  Over time I'm going to add AI traffic, potentially ATC (though Radar Contact is getting a little long in the tooth - any recommendations here?), enhanced scenery, etc. 

Any and all suggestions/ideas are welcome - and I haven't yet ordered the PC parts so if a configuration change is warranted I'd be interested in those thoughts too.

Thanks!

Mark Lam

1) Can the EFB and AS16/ASN products be run on a networked computer, reducing overhead on the FSX:SE machine? (I'm fairly certain EFB can be run on a network computer for the boxed edition, but how successful is it with the Steam Edition?)

Bonus Question: If a networked setup is the way to go, what else should I consider running on the networked machine to improve performance while enhancing the FSX:SE experience?  Over time I'm going to add AI traffic, potentially ATC (though Radar Contact is getting a little long in the tooth - any recommendations here?), enhanced scenery, etc. 

I can confirm that ASN will definitely run networked (via simconnect) as this is exactly what I do - can be tricky to initially configure with simconnect though !

Another programme that I network is AirTrafficManager, which plays very nicely across the network.

Others are FSPS's Runway bumping Effect and PFE.

Basically, if the programme is designed to run across a network, then that's what I do !

If you are planning to use the Steam Edition of ASN there is no network capability with that version.

If you are planning to use the Steam Edition of ASN there is no network capability with that version.

Not too sure what you mean by the 'Steam Edition' of ASN, but I'm certainly running ASN networked with FSX SE without any issues ?

Hi, I can confirm that I use ASN via networked configuration, like TOPCAT, FSCaptain and other addons.

Consider that ASN sold by Steam store should not work like said above, but I can't confirm. What I can confirm is that the one bought via non Steam can work via network. And in my opinin is the best way to play with other addons.

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Not too sure what you mean by the 'Steam Edition' of ASN, but I'm certainly running ASN networked with FSX SE without any issues ?

the one that you can buy as DLC on Steam will not work in a network

the one that you can buy as DLC on Steam will not work in a network

Ah, I see. I guess this begs the question why would anyone buy this version then ?

Flightsim Commander is another one that can be networked.

Matthew Kane

Also PFPX and obviously TOPCAT, and finally all addons that use FSUIPC (WideFS) or SimConnect protocol.

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270