Sign in to follow this  

Quick look at Virtual Fly's TQ6

I'm impressed with the build quality for this price range (about $700 US).

Plus

1.  Metal including the handles, very solid feel

2.  Good spacing between engine throttle, prop angle, and fuel mixture ... large hands will enjoy the spacing

3.  Design of arm support bracket makes the motion less flimsy (no side to side motion)

4.  Arm motion is extremely smooth and no potentiometer jitter when at rest

5.  Multiple mounting options

Cons

1.  VF drivers (more like a control panel since it doesn't install as a driver) didn't work for me under Windows 10 64bit

2.  Tension system doesn't really impact the prop angle arms as much as it does for throttle and mixture

Fortunately the driver/control panel isn't needed, everything is recognized and can be calibrated under Windows 10 64bit.  FSUIPC is not required, but if you want to get exact positioning (i.e. for Mixture cut-off) you'll want to have FSUIPC define the raw data range.

There were some delays getting it thru US customs, but the folks at Jetline systems were VERY helpful in keeping me updated and getting the unit to me.  Last time I ordered direct from Virtual Fly, but this time I went thru Jetline Systems

Cheers, Rob.

Nice review Rob thanks for doing this. I was seriously considering this throttle quad but was a little disappointed that you could not switch out the levers for a jet setup. Looking at the Go Flight unit now. Did you consider this option?

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Hi Mark,

I had the GoFlight TQ6, it was ok, but the arms were flimsy and the handles very small (I guess I have big hands).  I switched to using two Saitek 3 axis units which were a little more consistent but had short arms and had some issues with Windows 10 ... they worked but I would sometimes have to swap their assignments in P3D, no idea why (perhaps because they were two identical USB devices with axis)?  I had look at others also, PFC but they required attachment and purchase of another control unit and that setup just wouldn't work with my existing SimPit.  Also looked at ThrottleTek units, especially the Q400 unit ... if I hadn't gone with the VF TQ6, it was going to be a ThrottleTek unit (but they do have "lead" times 40-50 days or more).

Yeah, it is not ideal for 4 engine setups and that was a consideration when I purchased ... I use 2 engine aircraft for 95% of my flying (777, 737, Q400, etc.).  I have the iFly 747 and assigned 2 engines per throttle arm (Left/Right pairs or Inboard/Outboard pairs).  So if you fly more 4 engine aircraft then you might want to look elsewhere or map engine pairs.

I'm very happy with the VF TQ6, motion is solid and very smooth and no in aircraft animation jitters from variance in potentiometer output.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Mark,

I had the GoFlight TQ6, it was ok, but the arms were flimsy and the handles very small (I guess I have big hands).  I switched to using two Saitek 3 axis units which were a little more consistent but had short arms and had some issues with Windows 10 ... they worked but I would sometimes have to swap their assignments in P3D, no idea why (perhaps because they were two identical USB devices with axis)?  I had look at others also, PFC but they required attachment and purchase of another control unit and that setup just wouldn't work with my existing SimPit.  Also looked at ThrottleTek units, especially the Q400 unit ... if I hadn't gone with the VF TQ6, it was going to be a ThrottleTek unit (but they do have "lead" times 40-50 days or more).

Yeah, it is not ideal for 4 engine setups and that was a consideration when I purchased ... I use 2 engine aircraft for 95% of my flying (777, 737, Q400, etc.).  I have the iFly 747 and assigned 2 engines per throttle arm (Left/Right pairs or Inboard/Outboard pairs).  So if you fly more 4 engine aircraft then you might want to look elsewhere or map engine pairs.

I'm very happy with the VF TQ6, motion is solid and very smooth and no in aircraft animation jitters from variance in potentiometer output.

Cheers, Rob.

I am the same as you Rob, fly 2 engine 95% of the time but I do have my eye on the upcoming PMDG 747 and occasionally fly a 3 holer.  Something for me to think about.  Right now I have the CH Products throttle quad which does the job but certainly not at the same level as these other devices.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Nice review. I have had my eye on this for a while. But I mostly fly jet airliners and not props. So the fact that you can not currently interchange the handles for a jet set-up (like with the GoFlight TQ6) has led me to just stick with the default joystick throttle for now.

I did send a note to Virtual Fly at the time they released this product to say that many more simmers would be interested in a unit that could be converted between Jet and Prop use.  They actually said they would consider this as an option in the future.  I guess time will tell.

Mark W   CYYZ      

That's a nice looking piece of hardware. Those laser cut levers, cast aluminum handles = sexy! For a machinist. Worth the money, IMO. I only wish they made a version with straight levers, and a little more space between the lever pairs. It would make switching between jets and props, that much easier.

I also like the look of their rudder pedals as well. Some very fancy design work under the hood. Pricey at $907.61 US.

Jazz

Very well done video Rob good luck with that bad boy  :wink:

Rich Sennett

They actually said they would consider this as an option in the future.

That would be a nice option, I'd certainly be interested ... the prop arm offset could easily be compensated for (and covered over) to setup two center taller handles ... thanks to the VF TQ6 tension adjustment setup it would be easier to add tension to support the additional weight from taller handles.  The arms use two threaded bolt mounts so they are more than strong enough to support the additional weight.  But not sure about adding button support to the handles?  The device registers with 16 buttons, but it physically has none ... so "I guess" it they could add some buttons.

I need to contact them regarding their "control panel" that doesn't seem to work under Windows 10 64bit ... the device will work for a few seconds then seems to just "disconnect" and stop functioning when using their Control panel.  Works fine without their control panel, so I'm guessing it's a coding issue their side.

Cheers, Rob.