Sign in to follow this  
hesynergy

Quoted from Toposim 64 bit Prepar3d?

My Aerofly FS 2 never OOMs....

lol Jose,  A default FSX (No Ad's) will never OOM either  :smile:  :smile:

There are people enjoying Pokeman go too.  

I do enjoy your humor Bob  :hi:

Let me ask a question...

Can you still OOM with a 64 bit sim??

steve

Yes with ease ;-)

André

There are people enjoying Pokeman go too.  

At least Pokemon Go doesn't have stutters or blurries. :wink:

• Upvote 3

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

tell that to the people getting hit by cars :smile:

steve

• Upvote 3

Yes with ease ;-)

Yeah, turn off the swap file and install only 4 GB physical RAM :-)

No stutters, but, the newest technology in tracking and collecting certain facts.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

My Aerofly FS 2 never OOMs....

That's because you can't add anything to it.

Edit: Well apparently you can, but can you really compare it to the likes of P3D or XP?

No stutters, but, the newest technology in tracking and collecting certain facts.

Just wait till you need your Google account to sign into P3D :-D

• Upvote 1

I don't know about their statement. I don't know what upgrade is needed to make mesh files 64 bit compatible. They are just data files. There's no assembly code in them. A byte of data is a byte of data regardless of the cpu speed or bits. Those mesh files could be read by an old IBM PC from the 80's without a problem. It's how FS processes them that makes the difference.

Not entirely true.  While the source data doesn't necessarily change, the formats and structures for the new platform will have changed and the source data has to then be recompiled to take advantage of the tweaks and tuning of the new engine. 

For example. the transition between FS2004 and FSX . . . While FSX could read FS2004-compiled terrain mesh files, in order to enable the new Multi-LOD enhancement, the source data had to be recompiled in order to take full advantage of the new capabilities.  Conversely, FS2004 would choke on FSX-compiled BGLs because it wouldn't know what to do with the new instructions.

While I am not privy to details at this point, anyone can infer from statements found in this forum and elsewhere by those who would know, that there will not be backward compatibility from DTGFS to FSX.  So that requires time and effort to take what may be similar source data, and compile it for the new terrain engine.

Same regarding the expected new P3Dv4.  I think we can presume that P3D will move to a new 64-bit version.  Also, presuming that the flat-airport limitation will be removed, allowing for undulating airports.  That new feature, if indeed implemented, would most likely require additional source data manipulation on the micro level to tweak the airport surroundings.  And the source data recompiled to take advantage of the new engine.

So there will be much time and effort involved in processing the already-existing source data into new formats in order to fully take advantage of enhanced capabilities of the new platforms.

Cheers,

Justin

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

Strikes me as a bit of opportunistic 'sales speak' Chas. That, allied with their latest 'bogof' offer, sounds more like an ambitious salesman trying to meet the monthly quotas. I would imagine that the likes of FreemeshX have dented their prospective customer base somewhat?

p.s.  It will definitely rain in the next few months. :D

Hi David

Thank you for the smug and cynical accessment. :)

Not a problem, but I have to ask.  Is there anything wrong with an experienced developer, who has made a not-insignificant contribution to this hobby and genre over nearly 20 years, launching a new startup looking towards the future?  The tone of your comment puts the act of starting and building a business in some sort of pejorative light that I don't quite comprehend.

"Opportunistic Sales Speak" - how about operating on a limited marketing budget, and trying to use every creative means to increase brand-awareness, market penetration, bring in more business, and carve my slice of the pie while providing a quality product and supporting it well.  It's trading good value for revenue, and hopefully a win-win situation for both business and customer.  Is there something wrong with that?

"Ambitious Salesman trying to meet monthly quotas" - yes, definitely a monthly quota - to pay rent, car payment, child support, groceries, gas, insurance like everyone else.  My little enterprise, Toposim, is my only livelihood and I have other people depending on me, so yes, there is most definitely a monthly quota.  It's called living expenses, trying to avoid hunger and homelessness, being able to survive at the bottom of this flailing economy, but do it on my own terms.  I am 61 years old, really don't have anything else to fall back on, I love what I do, and I'm scratching and clawing, working hard, putting in long hours, trying to make a contribution that synchoniously provides an adequate, ideally comfortable compensation.  Is there something wrong with that?

Not quite there yet, but any vision of me sitting back in a padded-leather executive chair crossed legs up on the desk surrounded by stacks of cash and gold coins, flipping through a stack of $100 bills, smoking a cigar, laughing maniacally while ripping people off all the way to the bank, is greatly exaggerated lol . . .

And, yes, I'm sure Freemesh has made the challenge of launching a successful new business in this category a bit more daunting.  Don has obviously made a good product, has received good reviews from users, and lots of justifiable back-patting for making his product free.  Good for him. That's his choice to make. It's a nice side-hobby, though I'm sure very time-consuming, and he no doubt has other irons in the fire and doesn't need to make a living from development.

I have a good product, too, but mine is structured, organized, and distributed differently, it squeezes that last little bit of detail out of similar raw source data, and I think my customers can expect a high-quality, elegant, continually-refined product into the future as well as prompt attention to their service and support needs should they choose to support a good, high-quality full-time payware option instead of a part-time freeware option.

So, David, I'm not a bad guy.  I've been around a long time and have been very productive over the years, took a significant loss with the botched sale of FSGenesis, which essentially failed because I gave too much away, and am now in the process of reestablishing my place in the market with a brand-new enterprise building on 20 years of development experience, looking towards a bright future.

Is there something wrong with that? :)

Thanks

Justin

Toposim

• Upvote 1

Justin - Toposim

I have used the FSGenesis/Toposim product range extensively in the past and found them to be top notch

I have been flying P3D for over a year and have never had an OOM

are you sure you are flying with P3D and not the other 64 bit sim?

• Upvote 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

@ Justin Toposim,

Glad to have you back in the Flight Sim circle providing quality mesh products. I much prefer your Toposim mesh products simply because they are available in smaller, affordable, packages, that cover the areas that I usually fly inside. Thank-You.

Jazz

hit the post button too soon.  ;o)

Edited by Jazzfan

Thanks Jazz. :)

As luck would have it, my hosting provider temporarily suspended my account an hour ago due to a spike in resource usage.  The move to a dedicated plan has been planned, but not so soon.  Forced to upgrade now I guess.

Growing pains!

We'll be back up shortly.

Justin

Justin - Toposim

are you sure you are flying with P3D and not the other 64 bit sim?

I also never had an OOm for like the last year. pretty much since V3 as far as I remember.

You just have to be careful.

If you use PMDG 777 FTX Global + Vector with full options and a bigger airport like Aerosoft EGLL you will pretty much get an instant OOM :-)

Every system can be brought to its limits.