Sign in to follow this  
Lon3Wo1f

Active Sky 2016 or FTX Global?

Basically the title says it all.I'm trying to get the most realism out of my sim (P3DV3.3) and don't know which to go for.

Any recommendations are welcome and are greatly appreciated!

(I fly both tubeliners and GA aircraft)

... Both?

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

That's a difficult choice as they both add to the emersion. If you fly heavy's, go with AS2016, if you fly VFR, go with FTX Global. If you have the money, get both....

• Upvote 2

Matt King

If you have ASN, I would go Orbx. If you currently have no weather engine - I would go AS16 with REX soft clouds. From what I have seen the ASCA is too cartoony.

... Both?

I do intend to buy both but can only get one for the time being.

That's a difficult choice as they both add the emersion. If you fly heavy's, go with AS2016, if you're a VFR flyer, go with FTX Global.

I'm tempted to get AS16 as I really do feel that the realism factor is lacking with the PMDG 737 at higher altitudes!

If you have ASN, I would go Orbx. If you currently have no weather engine - I would go AS16 with REX soft clouds. From what I have seen the ASCA is too cartoony.

Already have REX so that is leaning more towards buying AS16

REX will go just fine with AS16. Also note that last year Orbx had a 35% off Black Friday sale. So if you can wait a few months you might save some $$$.

• Upvote 1

REX will go just fine with AS16. Also note that last year Orbx had a 35% off Black Friday sale. So if you can wait a few months you might save some $$$.

Yeah I was actually searching what sale ORBX last did this morning (4pm now), thanks for the help!

Your going to be flying in the Sky   :smile:  

So i would deffo get Active Sky 2016  Its a very nice Ad On,  Really good User Interface as well   

Your going to be flying in the Sky   :smile:

So i would deffo get Active Sky 2016  Its a very nice Ad On,  Really good User Interface as well   

I have no doubt it is a nice add-on, the UI is a more refined and less cluttered version of ASN's UI IMO which isn't a bad thing!

AS16 with Rex soft clouds. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I think ActiveSky is the only addon that works with PMDG 777, so that takes my pick.

Flying is about travelling through the air and then weather is, for me, the primary factor of immersion. I've been using ASN + default clouds to my satisfaction so far. P3D canned themes are nice but...  canned. Nothing better than fresh produce :) .

Second priority would be an excellent mesh as taking off, approach and landing are very much constrained by the relief.

Then comes the navigation and there is no substitute to the wonderful OrbX cake with its three layers : Global, Vector and OpenLCs.  Please also note that OrbX "fat" regions encompass all the three layers in one product, maybe more affordable to begin with.

YMMV.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Basically the title says it all.I'm trying to get the most realism out of my sim (P3DV3.3) and don't know which to go for.

Any recommendations are welcome and are greatly appreciated!

(I fly both tubeliners and GA aircraft)

HI, I'm bit confused by the topic. FTX Global is a texture replacement package while AS16 is a weather engine.....maybe refine your topic......i have both, and can advise you if i know which one you are looking for....cannot compare products with different functionality...

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

HI, I'm bit confused by the topic. FTX Global is a texture replacement package while AS16 is a weather engine.....maybe refine your topic......i have both, and can advise you if i know which one you are looking for....cannot compare products with different functionality...

He doesn't compare them and he knows what the addons do. He just doesn't have the money to buy them both right now so he is asking which addon to get first and adds that realism is his main point of interest.

If I could only choose one, and it was going to be a very long time before I could afford to buy the other, then it would have to be Orbx Global. But I only fly old and /or slow GA and therefore stay close (relatively) to the ground, and the difference it makes world wide is vast. If you only fly tubes over long distances, then AS2016 is the way to go, but I'd still not want to be without Global for long.

They are both amazing add ons, so whichever you go for you still win ;)