Sign in to follow this  
Lon3Wo1f

Active Sky 2016 or FTX Global?

then it would have to be Orbx Global

I second Orbx Global. REX SkyForce 3D also looks promising...choices, choices.;)

AS16 with Rex soft clouds. 

Probably will be getting AS16, the difference between default P3D and AS is night and day!

I think ActiveSky is the only addon that works with PMDG 777, so that takes my pick.

^^^^^ Thanks for the help!

Flying is about travelling through the air and then weather is, for me, the primary factor of immersion. I've been using ASN + default clouds to my satisfaction so far. P3D canned themes are nice but...  canned. Nothing better than fresh produce :) .

Second priority would be an excellent mesh as taking off, approach and landing are very much constrained by the relief.

Then comes the navigation and there is no substitute to the wonderful OrbX cake with its three layers : Global, Vector and OpenLCs.  Please also note that OrbX "fat" regions encompass all the three layers in one product, maybe more affordable to begin with.

YMMV.

Thanks for the help. Liked the references to canned food :smile:

If I could only choose one, and it was going to be a very long time before I could afford to buy the other, then it would have to be Orbx Global. But I only fly old and /or slow GA and therefore stay close (relatively) to the ground, and the difference it makes world wide is vast. If you only fly tubes over long distances, then AS2016 is the way to go, but I'd still not want to be without Global for long.

They are both amazing add ons, so whichever you go for you still win ;)

Currently leaning towards AS16, thanks for the help!

I second Orbx Global. REX SkyForce 3D also looks promising...choices, choices.;)

Looked up Rex SkyForce 3D, looked promising!

Sorry for all the late responses was AFK for a while, thanks to everyone for helping!

I have both but if I had to choose, I'd go with AS2016 all the way.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I personally would say: FTX Global and a weather engine are MUST HAVE addons.

So I vote for both, even if it costs some $.

Here is a short video with FTX Global + OpenLC (no Vector) and AS16 + ASCA (I really like ASCA, most here seem to favour REX SC though):

Hope it helps a little...

Go to 5:30 for a good outside view.

I have both but if I had to choose, I'd go with AS2016 all the way.

^^^^^^^Thanks for the help!

I personally would say: FTX Global and a weather engine are MUST HAVE addons.

So I vote for both, even if it costs some $.

Here is a short video with FTX Global + OpenLC (no Vector) and AS16 + ASCA (I really like ASCA, most here seem to favour REX SC though):

Hope it helps a little...

Go to 5:30 for a good outside view.

I do intend to buy both but not at one go.....both are amazing in their own way!

Really liked the video shows the potential of P3D!

AS16 + ASCA is amazing... seriously makes your landscapes look very cool. Anyone who says they look 'cartoony' has not had a proper play. Put ASCA into 'full dynamics' mode and appreciate dynamic loading in a way nobody has yet done before.

AS16 + ASCA is amazing... seriously makes your landscapes look very cool. Anyone who says they look 'cartoony' has not had a proper play. Put ASCA into 'full dynamics' mode and appreciate dynamic loading in a way nobody has yet done before.

I concur AS16+ASCA is amazing.  In VR these 2 addons make the sky look ultra real.  I get sense of motion with the clouds.  Must have addons AS16+ASCA.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Second priority would be an excellent mesh as taking off, approach and landing are very much constrained by the relief.

Mesh has always been my #1 priority since the default is so bad, but now at least we have the option of FreeMeshX for that so it need not interfere with other purchases !!

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

And with latest hotfix #3 it is even better

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.