Sign in to follow this  
Guest tahomatom

GTX 1060 vs 960

Guest tahomatom

For my new build which I'm pretty close to deciding on everything on the last piece of the puzzle is the graphics card.  I've been trying to get an EVGA GTX 1060 but they are either never in stock or at a huge markup.  The 960 prices look to be steadily dropping and newegg has them at $150 right now with a rebate.  From a purely FSX perspective, is there that much of a difference between the two?  Looking at reviews and youtube videos the 1060 does consistently perform better, but those seem to be more for games that aren't reliant purely on the CPU like FSX is.  Plus, I won't have to play the lottery to try to get my hands on a 1060.  Thoughts?

Edit: Or I could go with a 970 for about the same price as the 1060.  Maybe that's a better option?

The 970 is a solid card... it kind of depends on your budget and how many monitors and visuals you want to throw at it..

Bert

For my new build which I'm pretty close to deciding on everything on the last piece of the puzzle is the graphics card.  I've been trying to get an EVGA GTX 1060 but they are either never in stock or at a huge markup.  The 960 prices look to be steadily dropping and newegg has them at $150 right now with a rebate.  From a purely FSX perspective, is there that much of a difference between the two?  Looking at reviews and youtube videos the 1060 does consistently perform better, but those seem to be more for games that aren't reliant purely on the CPU like FSX is.  Plus, I won't have to play the lottery to try to get my hands on a 1060.  Thoughts?

Edit: Or I could go with a 970 for about the same price as the 1060.  Maybe that's a better option?

If I were you. I'd wait for the 1060. Just sit tight till it gets back to the normal pricing.... Whats the hurry?

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest tahomatom

If I were you. I'd wait for the 1060. Just sit tight till it gets back to the normal pricing.... Whats the hurry?

Not really in a huge hurry.  I'm seeing the 1060 in stock for 280 which is about the best I've seen recently.  It seems on most sites they get it in stock and sell out within 10 minutes (at least according to sites that track the stock).

Guest tahomatom

I guess I got lucky!  I got an email saying the 1060 was in stock at newegg and pounced on it.  Got the $259 version at newegg.  The website kept crashing but it finally went through.  Now I can order the rest!

I guess I got lucky!  I got an email saying the 1060 was in stock at newegg and pounced on it. 

Cool! :)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter