Sign in to follow this  
basementflyguy

How I Know P3D 4.0 Is Just Around The Corner

Well whatever P3D version (x64) is coming, I have to wait untill PMDG brings my lovely 737 to the new sim. Also HiFi and FSDT (GSX) will take a while... So I don't jump into a 64 Version of P3D very soon.

At the moment I am very very happy with 3.3.5. No FPS and VAS problems whatsoever. 

Philipp Schwaegerl

Ha! I nominate this post for worst of the year, or at least the day.

Ha!  You lost as his post and my post below his agree.  :smile:  So, are you going to nominate my post for being the second worst post of the year?  I hope you were just kidding when you posted your comments!!  I do not know about you, but I am finding this product expensive.  Each version (P3D, then V1, then V2, then V3, etc.) is equal to an upgrade equal to going from FS2000 to FS 2002, then FS2004 and then to FSX/Acceleration (in between each version is a bug fix or fixes such as V3, then V3.1, then 3.3, then 3.3.5) and they are supposed to occur every two years or so (just like Microsoft had envisioned).  Those "fixes" in between are free.  Now, if one buys the Professional version like me, then that's $199 every time I upgrade to a new Version (such as P3D, V1, V2, V3).  Every two years is okay but every 6-8 months?  LM is not renaming their product like Microsoft did.  They are just issuing version updates (with a bunch of minor "fixes" in between).  So that's what I think your nominee for being the worst poster of the year was trying to imply (or at least what I was trying to imply). 

Now, they can go ahead and upgrade to V4 and V5 and I can wait until V7 and save some money for the golf course and my car.  I guess that would be okay too.  I'm in no hurry.

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

There was already a statement from ORBX' CEO John Venema that scenery for further Prepar3d main versions will have to be paid for.

BTW, I doubt Prepar3D4 (or whatever it will be called) will just be a 64 bit port which would be pretty lame as several comments show, If LM will have to break compatibility, it would be a good opportunity to resolve a number of long-standing issues like hard-coded runways/navaids, airport elevation issues, sloped runways etc.. Perhaps thay even could include an optional DX12 interface.

Just my personal guess. 

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Now, if one buys the Professional version like me, then that's $199 every time I upgrade to a new Version (such as P3D, V1, V2, V3). Every two years is okay but every 6-8 months? LM is not renaming their product like Microsoft did. They are just issuing version updates (with a bunch of minor "fixes" in between).

First of all, there isn't a new major new version every 6 to 8 months. Not even close. Secondly, calling the new versions 'updates' doesn't do the new version justice. Specially if not renaming is brought into this which of course is a bit nonsense. ;) Third: there is a reason most people buy the academic version which is just as cheap as any regular game out there. 50 bucks every few years is nothing compared to games that get a 'new' version every year (wgich never are renamed btw). Last: if 200 every two years is okay, then I think you are good with P3D because instead of 6 months it usually takes something like 2 years before a new version has been released. And of course, even if there are more new version released: no one forces you to buy them. You can decide to not buy more than one new Pro license every 2 year.

Anyway, IMHO it is a bit odd to request LM to keep v3.3 for 2 years now. Very odd. There is more than enough that can be improved: why wait 2 years wth that?

P.S. I don't expect v4 before 2017. Q4 2017 is more likely.

it would be a good opportunity to resolve a number of long-standing issues like hard-coded runways/navaids, airport elevation issues, sloped runways etc..

This...+++  I'd be more excited to see this than 64b. All data that is subject to change should be in a data format that accommodates updates. Most of us already subscribe to navdata updates while the platform is frozen in time. Silly.

Dan Downs KCRP

On a side note... I just finished watching the Norwegian tv-series Acquitted. After comparing the airial shots from that series with my FTX Norway scenery... I think not even P3D v8 will cut it. We still got a long way to go so hurry up LM. Please, don't let us enjoy 3.3 for 2 years! ;)

Ha!  You lost as his post and my post below his agree.  :smile:  So, are you going to nominate my post for being the second worst post of the year?  I hope you were just kidding when you posted your comments!!  I do not know about you, but I am finding this product expensive.  Each version (P3D, then V1, then V2, then V3, etc.) is equal to an upgrade equal to going from FS2000 to FS 2002, then FS2004 and then to FSX/Acceleration (in between each version is a bug fix or fixes such as V3, then V3.1, then 3.3, then 3.3.5) and they are supposed to occur every two years or so (just like Microsoft had envisioned).  Those "fixes" in between are free.  Now, if one buys the Professional version like me, then that's $199 every time I upgrade to a new Version (such as P3D, V1, V2, V3).  Every two years is okay but every 6-8 months?  LM is not renaming their product like Microsoft did.  They are just issuing version updates (with a bunch of minor "fixes" in between).  So that's what I think your nominee for being the worst poster of the year was trying to imply (or at least what I was trying to imply). 

Now, they can go ahead and upgrade to V4 and V5 and I can wait until V7 and save some money for the golf course and my car.  I guess that would be okay too.  I'm in no hurry.

I'm purchasing all this software in SA Rands so it's costing me a fortune! But for some reason, I always need the latest and greatest! At the moment of release! Can this be classified as an addiction? :smile:

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Man, if they release P3D v4 this year, then I saved myself a pretty penny by just subscribing to the $10 month package.

This is how I do it. Yes it's $120 a year but for a constantly moving target like P3D it works well. Hell, here in the UK it costs more than that to fill up my car with a tank of fuel!

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

Anyway, IMHO it is a bit odd to request LM to keep v3.3 for 2 years now. Very odd. There is more than enough that can be improved: why wait 2 years wth that?

You totally misread by comments.  I did not say anything about v3.3 other than it's an update to fix V3.  V2 had many updates too.  It is my understanding major releases are P3D, V1, V2, V3, and someday, V4.

P3Dv3 was released on 30 Sep 2015 - http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2015/09/113061/.  I, and many others, paid for the Professional version or $199.00.  Going historically, the next major version (V4) (which everyone will be required to purchase just like they purchased V3) should be released in Sep 2017.  So, V3 is not even one year old and everyone wants to see the V4 (which they think might be 64bit capable).  I understand that.  But it will cost another $199 to go to V4 (and I haven't even had V3 installed a year yet!!!).

Isn't V4.0 the version the OP was talking about?

It's always good to talk about new versions and what will be in it or not but one has to understand the implications of a new 'major' version.  It will cost everyone a lot of money (and it hasn't even been a year since V3 was released!!) (Oh, maybe I said that already! :smile: ).

I will leave this discussion now as I hate to confuse everyone even more with my pathetic observations.  But, before I hit "Post", I hope LM continues work on V3 and continues to prepare for the release of V4 someday in the not so near future as they just released V3 less than a year ago!  I look forward to V3.4 soon. :dance:

Best regards,

• Upvote 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I look forward to V3.4 soon

LM hasn't promised anything in the way of a v3.4. Unlike P3Dv2, where they announced, in advance, support up to v2.5. I wouldn't be be surprised if P3Dv3 ends before v3.4. Especially since most major outstanding issues have been resolved. From what I have gathered from the LM forums over the past 18 months, is that P3Dv3 was intended to be a stop gap, before going to x64. Which is why they openly asked, if the community would support another x32 version of P3D, if it offered improved vas handling. We voted a resounding "yes", with our wallets.

just my .02c

Jazz

I look forward to V3.4 soon. :dance:

Best regards,

I hope you are right!

I wouldn't be be surprised if P3Dv3 ends before v3.4.

I hope you are wrong!

Now, they can go ahead and upgrade to V4 and V5 and I can wait until V7 and save some money for the golf course and my car.

If we are REALLY good Jim we should be using our time on the golf course to PAY for our P3D upgrades!

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope

I hope you are wrong!

I very well may be wrong. My post was merely my thoughts on some of the information that has been put out there by LM officials and/or their beta team members. As long as LM continue to develop P3D, I'll be happy. If v4 drops next week or next year, I only hope that it is x64. I can not see myself buying into DTG's rehash of a rehash, FSXx64.

Jazz

I very well may be wrong. My post was merely my thoughts on some of the information that has been put out there by LM officials and/or their beta team members. As long as LM continue to develop P3D, I'll be happy. If v4 drops next week or next year, I only hope that it is x64. I can not see myself buying into DTG's rehash of a rehash, FSXx64.

Jazz

Jazz,

I think you probably are right.

My sense, just reading here and there and listening to the scuttlebutt, is that P3D v4 is closer than most think and is anticipated to arrive at any time.

However, like Jim, I may sit this one out as am unwilling to walk away from my favorite add-ons and sceneries, and won't pay for old technologies a second time around.

Kind regards,

Man, if they release P3D v4 this year, then I saved myself a pretty penny by just subscribing to the $10 month package.

Lol, I've saved even more. Never bought v1, v2 or v3. I'm still waiting until we get what will be considered the last of the last version, or the version that seems like there is not much left to do.

If like to jump in but I'm not up for all the upgrade pricing between new versions and the updates in between, plus anticipation of which addons will work and won't work.

Maybe I'll be waiting a long time for that day?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator