Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

VR is the thing you want - Monitors is so last century

Sorry, I meant first person. Yes, all of the Avatar views work. And yes, exactly at head height. It's perfect. You'll love it.

I find it's really smooth. The only thing is I can't pivot with the joystick, only forward/backward and side to side. To pivot I have to use the Q and E keys which makes me a bit dizzy.

I downloaded it but the colour level adjustment doesn't seem to be working. Nights are still really bright for me.

Good for you mate. How much of an improvement are you seeing? 

SLI is only for Flyinside VR Async.  It allows more frames at higher VR resolutions.  For example, I have running Flyinside at 4K res, and for most of my flights i get XX/93 that XX is depended on airplane those are the normal p3d fps (heavy pmdg 777 is like 30 vs other craft which is much higher) but 90+ is the Async frames which prevents me from getting a headache and nausea.  VR needs those 90 fps.

SLI helps P3D in others too but don't expect massive FPS gain with 980s.  Maybe two 1070s or 1080s or Titan X (pascal) one will get more bump.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

OMG!!!! Avatar mode has First Person Oculus View.  I can see the airplane with my head movement.  Still using joystick or keys to move but I can have no body which is the best (avatar body is freaky, you are just standing in front of him).  But First Person Oculus View - Holy$$$$  I am seeing the airplane life size in my office. 

LM is really going to leverage the hell out of VR as the tech develops further.

You can walk in the airports and what not (In first person view everything is long/big and massive).

• Upvote 1

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

But First Person Oculus View - Holy$$$$  I am seeing the airplane life size

Good to hear Skywolf. I use first person Avatar all the time even in 2D. It is better than worldview in Ezdok because the Avatar stays in correct height with the ground no matter where you go. Have fun and run up a mountain in the Rift or jump out of a plane and skydive Avatar man in first person!

What about shadows? Which shadows either don't work or are unusable in P3D in your opinion?

ou can walk in the airports and what not (In first person view everything is long/big and massive).

That almost makes getting an Oculus worth it on its own. Walkaround excursions would be awesome - especially for exploring new sceneries. Imagine going to the runway threshold and watching your VATSIM buddies land - pretty amazing possibilities

Good to hear Skywolf. I use first person Avatar all the time even in 2D. It is better than worldview in Ezdok because the Avatar stays in correct height with the ground no matter where you go. Have fun and run up a mountain in the Rift or jump out of a plane and skydive Avatar man in first person!

What about shadows? Which shadows either don't work or are unusable in P3D in your opinion?

I will try it out later tonight and report back.  I didn't pay attention to shadows last time.  I know I saw the plane shadows and what not.

That almost makes getting an Oculus worth it on its own. Walkaround excursions would be awesome - especially for exploring new sceneries. Imagine going to the runway threshold and watching your VATSIM buddies land - pretty amazing possibilities

Walking around the airport can take the same amount of time that it would take someone in real life.  The distance just becomes real.  Yeah, I expect down the road people even using this for ground crew training (expect all these when we are in 64 bit land - 32 bit world is already maxed out with addons).  I can see AI planes land and stuff.  

Can you run in avatar mode?

Apparentlly LM designed Avatar mode in a way that 2 planes are there and one use can get off one bird and hop in another bird.  Sim director helps in creating scenarios where 2 planes are loaded at once.  I am sure there is standard VAS hit if it is 2 complex birds.  I read that on their own forums some time ago. 

Help for the challenged please - how to select Avatar mode?

Ctrl-Shift-E

and to jump back into the airplane you have to walk back to your airplane and execute those keys again to see cockpit mode.

Besides joystick controls for movement, keys A,W,S,D are also for movement

Ctrl-Shift-E

and to jump back into the airplane you have to walk back to your airplane and execute those keys again to see cockpit mode.

Has that invisible wall arrund the aircraft been eliminated ?

Has that invisible wall arrund the aircraft been eliminated ?

I believe that is still there. I assume what you are talking about is like walking under the wings of 737.  I am not fully able to do that.  Though I can walk pretty close to them and look at the engines

I believe that is still there. I assume what you are talking about is like walking under the wings of 737.  I am not fully able to do that.  Though I can walk pretty close to them and look at the engines

Cool.  I never really use avatar mode, although I did try it when it was introdced -  I use the OpusFSI external camera function.  

Ctrl-Shift-E

Besides joystick controls for movement, keys A,W,S,D are also for movement

Thanks for that. That gives me a figure I can move around (3rd person?) - how do I get 1st person?

I'm in 3-screen 2D currently, trying to decide when to invest in VR.

Thanks for that. That gives me a figure I can move around (3rd person?) - how do I get 1st person?

I'm in 3-screen 2D currently, trying to decide when to invest in VR.

Once in Avatar mode.  Look in options and you will see change view.  In the view First person (with body or without body) is listed.

I to went from multimonitor setup to VR.  VR screen is slightly lower res and you have to have Flyinside-FSX (they have it for p3d also - try the demo).  Just remember VR is very cutting edge tech. It is like this when the first Atari's came out for home use.  That is the stage VR is in.

Other VR apps and demos (including some video stuff out there) is amazing.  Right now there is Vive and Rift.  Both have pros and cons.  Resolution is same.  Vive is tied to steam store and Rift is by itself and they have their own store.  Rift will get hand controllers in the fall.  Read flyinside forums to see which people like more.  I am in the Rift camp for now.

Again, VR is all about VC flying.  I disabled external model to save VAS on my vas heavy 777 and VC is just awesome.  737 VC is way better than 777 due to almost everything is modeled in it.  Q400 is Number 1 in VC for me.  I will post a list in the p3d section detailing VR experience (was going to do this weekend - now it will happen in few days).

But one thing is for sure - I can never ever go back to 2D monitors now.  It is like taking someone to the moon, and then tell them that you can visit moon by looking photos only.

• Upvote 1

VR screen is slightly lower res

That's a bit of an understatement! The Rift has about 1/5 of the resolution of your typical 3-screen setup.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Once in Avatar mode.  Look in options and you will see change view.  In the view First person (with body or without body) is listed.

I to went from multimonitor setup to VR.  VR screen is slightly lower res and you have to have Flyinside-FSX (they have it for p3d also - try the demo).  Just remember VR is very cutting edge tech. It is like this when the first Atari's came out for home use.  That is the stage VR is in.

Other VR apps and demos (including some video stuff out there) is amazing.  Right now there is Vive and Rift.  Both have pros and cons.  Resolution is same.  Vive is tied to steam store and Rift is by itself and they have their own store.  Rift will get hand controllers in the fall.  Read flyinside forums to see which people like more.  I am in the Rift camp for now.

Again, VR is all about VC flying.  I disabled external model to save VAS on my vas heavy 777 and VC is just awesome.  737 VC is way better than 777 due to almost everything is modeled in it.  Q400 is Number 1 in VC for me.  I will post a list in the p3d section detailing VR experience (was going to do this weekend - now it will happen in few days).

But one thing is for sure - I can never ever go back to 2D monitors now.  It is like taking someone to the moon, and then tell them that you can visit moon by looking photos only.

Thanks again - it looks really good so I'll use it to do my next external walkaround check. It seems to me though that the Touch facility must be required to operate virtual cockpit switches and knobs?

Can you run in avatar mode?

Yep. One good way of seeing what controls are possible for avatar is to go into P3D settings->controls and in the search box type "avatar". I think running is crtl+shift+E for avatar then R. I'm constantly running around in Avatar even in 2D.

I've ordered the Rift its in the mail. I'm committed to 3D now!