Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

VR is the thing you want - Monitors is so last century

I'd strongly recommend a TrackIR

It really adds to the immersion. Kind of a place in the middle of the 2D and the VR

Agreed! I already have TrackIR :)

About the screen door effect, it is the pixelization of the screen like in this pic:

1280px-Screen-door_effect.jpg

Before I googled it I  thought it was something like the keyhole effect which I didn't have with the Oculus Rift. the FOV was nice and very wide.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

I agree, until the VR hardware improves, a 4K monitor combined with TrackIR is a nice stopgap measure.

Yeah, that was my thinking. Until things improve to the point where people are excited about the visual quality as well as the immersion I'm happy to wait. In the meantime, my new 34" curved 3440x1440 gsync monitor is keeping me more than happy. 

• Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Waiting for perfection becomes meaningless once the cats killed you.  Raised%20Eyebrow.gif

Keep feeding them and pat them now and again and they will never kill you :-)

VR is definitely for me. I know it will get better in future, but why miss out for the foreseeable? I had a DK2 and was glad of the year I spent in VR before the CV1 came along. I don't think of it as money wasted, as I gave it to a friend who really appreciates his new virtual Home Cinema. To him it was 3 months wages worth....

I will enjoy my CV1 and probably will move it along when the CV2 comes out and enjoy that too. Always waiting for the next big thing, means you never enjoy what today has to offer. Who know's how long any of us will be around anyway. 

I know of friends who looked at the new iPhone and waited because the next one would be better. I've got an iPhon e 6 still, and my friend, his 3330 Nokia. He's still waiting....

Paul, you are fully entitled to your opinion, I am not disagreeing with your analysis. Logically, there is room for a lot of improvement.

As I fly low level along the strip in Vegas in the Hawk, Do I think I wasted my money and should have waited...

Er, no. Lets just pull up and see how far she'll zoom!

I'm a happy simmer.... that is all. 

• Upvote 1

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

Keep feeding them and pat them now and again and they will never kill you :-)

how-to-tell-if-your-cat-is-plotting-to-k

As I fly low level along the strip in Vegas in the Hawk, Do I think I wasted my money and should have waited...

Er, no. Lets just pull up and see how far she'll zoom!

I'm a happy simmer.... that is all. 

This is kinda' where I'm at.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Using Oculus Rift and Flyinside, is for me a new and pretty darn good deal. Flyinside is Beta and a little raw but I have been able to make it more than just flyable. I set up a flight from LAX to Boston long before family and friends arrived for dinner and the evening last night. At the time I thought was right I asked if they knew anything about VR, they did not. A few said they heard of it but that's all. I introduced them to HMD and they put it on to take a look. They were all amazed, some got a little queezy, some said my stomach felt like I was in a real plane. The guy's I knew who tried FS's at some point said "I'm going to take another look at the flight sim game", " You mean all those systems with the switches and buttons etc., actually work". Most only saw FS9 or earlier stuff.
I was able to set up Flyinside and to work around a few issues. I found adjusting the eye point in the 'VIEW' section of the air crafts ,cfg file put me in the seat and closer to the panel . This made seeing textures and reading numbers much better and more comfortable. Care full placement of the sensor/sensors makes a difference. The shimmering oversized mouse problem with respect to programing the FMC was cured for me by simply grabbing the double arrows just like when expanding the width of any other windows. The problem is it kicks you out of VR. You the need to "Enter the simulator" menu to get back in. You only need to do it when you start. it stays expanded after that, same as windows. When you do go back to the FMC you find a little cursor in the shape of the finger type that can fit over/to one button and is not oversized at all, perfect! We are talking Beta software. Dan Church is a dedicated man who will produce the goods, that I can see from my 81 years. The next round of VR hardware, computer power, video cards, and software will usher in a flood of interest in VR. Particularly in the flight sim community.
I find it pleasurable to be involved in this, I know, not for everyone.
Landing in Boston after mu guests left was off the charts, now monitors are only...
Happy New Year!
BaldyB

Hi Guys,

Just reading through the last 10 pages has pretty much turned me off buying Oculus at the moment.  Sounds like waiting for the next version to come out is probably the way to go.  However, just a few questions.  Has anyone tried the Oculus touch with P3D?  Are the graphics good enough to be able to turn knobs and flick switches and not accidentally bump the wrong one?  And would SLIing the GPU make for much of an improvement?

I'm getting about 25-30FPS with my setup at the moment, and could go a bit further with overclocking, but its a lot of money to spend on something that has poor graphics and is unusable  If I could spend a bit more money on my rig and knew for sure VR would work I'd definitely be thinking harder about it.  The worst thing I guess is not being able to sample before you buy.

Anyway guys, Merry Xmas and happy new year.

Mark

Hello Mark,

I was on the same boat 10 days ago, before I return my Oculus Rift. I had purchased both oculus touch and leap motion, though before I returned them I only tried Leap Motion. As far as I know, Oculus Touch function will have (when supported) the same interface in FI, though more accurate tracking. What bothered me in Leap Motion implementation was:

1) support in payware airplanes: PMDG, Majestic are not yet supported, though they will in the future.

2) I didn't like the rotating gesture which was actually a linear slider that you had to slide your finger to dial a number. Not so accurate and certainly not fast when you are in a hurry. I would prefer a rotating more natural gesture. I can imagine with Touch this will be easier as it has a rotation tracking if a rotating gesture is implemented.

To add up for Oculus Touch, while I find the controllers an amazing product, I didn't find intuitive the idea of holding something all the time and having to exhange it with my hardware throttles, especially in the critical phases of takeoff and landing. Of course with some learning this may be not a problem. Though added to the resolution limitation, you should have in mind that you should be equipped with a lot of patience and acceptnce that you will not fly all your add on aircract out of the box. FI is a nice software and the developer nice and hard working guy to solve all problems, but these fixes take a lot of time.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

I've read about flyinside, but haven't tried it. I would only note that as a sim with native VR support Aerofly FS 2 seems to handle the VR interface about as well as could be expected.

As AF is my only experience with Flight simming and VR (besides DCS) and so far its been a good one, I tend to be a lot more sanguine about the potential of it all.

On the other hand.......  :lol:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hi Daedalus,

Thanks for the reply.  Sounds like using VR straight out of the box with addon aircraft with decent textures and resolution is a fair way off.  I guess the plan is to hold off until there is support for the majority of payware aircraft and a decent testing phase has been completed?  Its a shame really, but flightsim for me has been almost 20 years of slow improvements and hardware upgrades.  A few more shouldn't hurt.

Can't wait for the technology to get here and make this achievable.

Mark

Hmm, don't shoot me for saying this, but IMO VR is for gamers. I fail to see how it can benefit those of us who enjoy the cockpit 'experience' ie, instrument panels, separate screens etc. For me, I enjoy having hands on experience with the VR MCP, Saitek radio and switch panels, Ipad CDU,and displays on two extra monitors. To use VR would be to sacrifice the very things that provide me with an amazing immersive experience. At the end of the day it's whatever gives you the most pleasure, so sure, for some VR will be a turning point in simming but for others, like me personally, it will be something of little interest. Although I would be very interested in checking it out!  :wink:

• Upvote 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Although I would be very interested in checking it out! :wink:

With all due respect how do you evaluate something you have not checked out?

I fly the PMDG 777-200 and 300-in Flyinside with VR. It's a Beta, a public Beta!

Again with all due respect, I need to turn knobs and switch...switches. It's Beta!

With anything new and under development you will need to make corrections, add features, KILL bugs.

bugs Etc. Some look at unfinished work and judge it like it's done. Some don't even look at the work and proclaim it junk, not ready, etc

. They have that right but, it's not constructive. I've seen those same individuals

complain about the price of the so called junk when it is released,why? They want to buy that junk?

To each his own i guess.

best

BaldyB

PS: The PMDG 777 does not Fly Itself, no matter where it is.

Hmm, don't shoot me for saying this, but IMO VR is for gamers.

So is the guy in this video an obvious "gamer?"

For me, I enjoy having hands on experience with the VR MCP, Saitek radio and switch panels, Ipad CDU,and displays on two extra monitors.

A new way to experience controlling a simulation is being born. For many its a very exciting time, and we're here to be part of it!   :smile:

Devons rig

Sure, I hear what you're saying. But I don't understand how you can use a VR headset in a cockpit with switches and hardware.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776