Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

VR is the thing you want - Monitors is so last century

Sure, I hear what you're saying. But I don't understand how you can use a VR headset in a cockpit with switches and hardware.

I think we might see a paradigm change where home-cockpit type setups eventually go the way of the dinosaur. Why cause trouble with the spouse/significant other with all sorts of gear generally representing only one specific type of aircraft, when you can don a headset and seem to be actually inside any type of aircraft in the world in full 3D, controlling the instruments realistically with your cyber-hands?

Cost effectively, how will expensive instrument panels compete?

Might be the end of an era.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I think we might see a paradigm change where home-cockpit type setups eventually go the way of the dinosaur. Why cause trouble with the spouse/significant other with all sorts of gear generally representing only one specific type of aircraft, when you can don a headset and seem to be actually inside any type of aircraft in the world in full 3D, controlling the instruments realistically with your cyber-hands?

Cost effectively, how will expensive instrument panels compete?

Might be the end of an era.

I agree, that would be the ultimate solution. But when 4K googles arrive and hardware to support it. So I wouldn't say that its now the end of an era. The following graphic demonstrates that:

NVIDIA-GeForce-VR-635x357.jpg

We will need an exponential increase in computer performance for this to happen, especially in FlightSim where CPU matters a lot.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

At the rate at which VR is developing, (including ways to decrease the needed horsepower) I suspect we will see many of these improvements sooner rather than later.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

At the rate at which VR is developing, (including ways to decrease the needed horsepower) I suspect we will see many of these improvements sooner rather than later.

In Flyinside i get 35/90/ 45 Actual 90 FPS is what the Warp Speed setup. It looks to the user like 90FPS because the software shows an extra frame between frames. Read about it on Flyinsides message boards. Flyind-fsx.com

Best

BaldyB

Rockliffe, on 28 Dec 2016 - 10:18 AM, said:

Sure, I hear what you're saying. But I don't understand how you can use a VR headset in a cockpit with switches and hardware.

The switches and buttons are in the cockpit. Your yoke or flight stick is out side. I just feel it like the hood is of. I seeit react to my touch inside the cockpit. It's the feeling of being IN the cockpit that makes the difference.

The way VR's immersion grabs you is what makes the difference, your there IN the plane, not in front of a picture!

Many things, almost all can be controlled by key presses with putting the focus on a button or switch using a blue dot on the controlling image. It consists of an

<X>, the X shuts off and the < switches one and the > the other way. A simple press is to put the blue dot on the button and click the revert key.

The revert key is any button on your Yoke, flight stick, throttle or linked key you want. I use the trigger key on my C&H yoke, the right one.

You do need to do things a bit differently and PMDG aircraft are tougher to use, but of course, are well worth the effort IMHO.

Leap Motion is very new. Those white glove like hands you see in video's are able to do things like move flap levers and push buttons, also flip toggle switches pretty well.

Turning knobs is still a work in progress. The answer in opinion is to wear a lite pair of gloves with tactical feedback sensors.

They are in service today in other places. My grandson had a vest in the Army. When he got shot in war games he felt a pretty good tap at or near that spot he got hit at, that's tactical feedback

All of those things I speak of exist! They simply have not been assembled into way to serve our community, OR insome cases may still be a bit expensive or whatever.

All that will change quickly IMHO.

Best

BaldyB

ack

:lol:

Kyv9Sx.jpg

Devons rig

Are there any videos of VR using a decent payware aircraft like PMDG 777 at a high resolution payware airport?  I've searched youtube and there aren't many out there.  Would be nice to actually see how the quality is and whether or not its worth buying yet.

Mark

Are there any videos of VR using a decent payware aircraft like PMDG 777 at a high resolution payware airport?  I've searched youtube and there aren't many out there.  Would be nice to actually see how the quality is and whether or not its worth buying yet.

Mark

I recently took the plunge and got the oculus despite the threads about how bad the graphics are. I have to say, the first time I put the oculus on, I was totally impressed and couldn't stop saying WOW despite the low quality of the graphics. I do not see VR getting close to the quality of graphics you may see on a 4K monitor for many years as I see this as a technology which will take a while to mature. The experience you are gaining from using VR is the immersion, the fact these googles tricks you in thinking you are really in a cockpit. It's been a few weeks since I got the rift and I do find myself using the monitor less (despite the better graphics) as the VR experience is just too immersive, something even the best 4K monitors cannot match.

Mark

Devons rig

Hello,

I have both hardware the Occlus Rift and HTC-Vive, and I don't see  much image quality difference among them.

If you are using a prescription lenses, then you can read the gauges much better then what the stock lenses can show.

I did a flight in PMDG 777-300ER using flyinside software for prepar3d, from KIAD to KJFK the airport I used were Flightbeam studios KIAD,

and FSDREAMTEAM KJFK, the flight lasts around 30 minutes or so , I hear the first windows low memory sound while  the flight is over KBWI,

passing KPHL the low memory sounds are getting more frequent, on approach to runway 31L KJFK I see the rear part of PMDG 777 plane become a skelton, and,

windows low memory sounds are like 3 seconds apart, when I hear the altitude calls of 1000 ft, and below the runway textures turn all black, and the plane is half skelton,

and it is like this all the way to KJFK Terminal gate.

All this happens with all my settings to the lowest graphical settings of 2x and mid resolution selectable in VR software.

Thanking You,

Best regards,

Aftab.  

AFTAB HINGORO

The consumer VR products are priced way too high for the average gamer. So, what needs to happen is either a major price drop for the present entry level VR units or high resolution models at the present price point. Either of those possibilities are at least a year or more away IMO.

As to VR eliminating home cockpits as an option, since home cockpits are both a rarity and a labor of love, I don't see this happening. The automobile replaced the horse as the common mode of transportation but a few people still ride horses for the fun of it.

• Upvote 1

For me the resolution inside the cockpit is acceptable as everything is much closer. Its the outside world that needs much higher resolution. Difficult to see the runway on approach.

I have a dk2 and dont think it was worth it to upgrade to cv1. Saving myself for CV2. If they are able to apply the foveated rendering techinque with high resolution together with better gpu, then I see everyone moving to VR simming. Mind you, it has to be a 64 bits simulator otherwise we will get ooms all the time.

Its difficult to know if VR is for you or not as it depends on your expectations. I bought the dk2 in 2014 for about 450 dollars and have spent unnumbered hours with it. Its money well spent. Next generation will take another 2 years. If I didnt have my dk2 I dont think I would be able to wait without the experience.

you guys have me worked up to buy this for x-plane, but 600 is like 6,000 in my world. is the dk2 kit worth buying? its 300 used, i don't know much about vr.

Can you not get a dk2 for about 200? In Spain you can find them for about 250 euros second hand. I am quite happy with mine. I havent tried the cv1 but i dont think its such a big leap. At least you are not investing too much

Looking at your computer specs what is another 200£ more?

thats one of my questions, is the dk2 worth it and will it work with fly inside? i found several used local for about 200 usd, i just want to make sure i am buying the correct thing.