Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

VR is the thing you want - Monitors is so last century

wow, my pc specs changed, i just haven't updated it. i am using a 6600k at 5ghz, a gtx 1070 and 32 gb of ddr4 3,000 mhz. i found someone online willing to sell me the dk2 kit with everything with the box for 200.00, i just have to go pick it up.will my specs run it ok?

wow, my pc specs changed, i just haven't updated it. i am using a 6600k at 5ghz, a gtx 1070 and 32 gb of ddr4 3,000 mhz. i found someone online willing to sell me the dk2 kit with everything with the box for 200.00, i just have to go pick it up.will my specs run it ok?

Yup you should be fine. Just keep in mind the DK2 is the previous generation, which means a lower framerate and a more pronounced screen door effect.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Oh yes, your pc is great. As I said before for 200$ you can enjoy VR for the next 2 years until next generation comes.

PD 350 for the cv1? Quite cheap, for that price its worht it.

As to VR eliminating home cockpits as an option, since home cockpits are both a rarity and a labor of love, I don't see this happening. The automobile replaced the horse as the common mode of transportation but a few people still ride horses for the fun of it.

Full sized cockpits cut off the noses of real planes..... I agree that those folks have a rare passion. But when I said home cockpit I was really thinking of that big klunky thing in the living room that most spouses tolerate with a sigh, and those will likely become a lot less common.

Perhaps I should have more accurately said SimPit.

maxresdefault.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hello,

Further to my post of getting low memory situations, while completing a flight from KIAD (Washington Dulles International Airport, Washington D.C) to KJFK (  J.F. Kennedy International Airport, New York City)

My computer Specifications are as follows:

1. Motherboard:  Asus Rampage Edition 10.

2. Memory:   128GB Gskill Trident z DDR 4 3200mhz.

3. CPU:        Intel I7 6950X.

4.Video cards:    2 Gigabyte Geforce GTX premium gaming package in SLI, (For this flight SLI was disabled).

5.Cooling:    Custom water cooling using Ramapage edition 10 all in one Mono Block for CPU and Chipset with 360mm Radiator.(operating tempratures 30 degrees)

6. Hardrives:   one crucial 525 GB solid state drive,(for windows 10 pro 64 bit operating system),  one Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB capacity with latest Samsung M.2 Drivers for the hardrive,(for prepar3d Version3.4)

7. HTC-VIVE or Occulus Rift Display VR hardware.

8: ORBX global and ORBX global Vector.

9: Logitech G-940 force feedback gaming joystick.

10: Samsung 55inches LED primary display monitor .

Thanking you,

Best Regards,

Aftab

AFTAB HINGORO

Aftab something isn't right!Your machine should blow mine right out of the water!

I run a ASUS Sabertooth Gen.1, AMD 8053, 8GB Gskil ddr3 1600 Mhz Memory, And an RX-480.

Run AS, Soft clouds. GSX, my great grandson loves to watch GSX when I'm not flying.

I only run Steam Edition of FSX. I never have OOM's,no screen door effect. i saw a picture of it on line. I would never put up with the screen door deal.

I would have brought it back instantly. I had the PMDG 777-200 FedX fly from KLAX to KBOS Xmas eve. Showed all my company visiting VR. I'm talking 14 people. After they were gone it was time to land. I did pause the flight for a time.

Landing im Boston at night in VR was really a blast. Passing over Deer Island where I actually worked and looking down felt real.

You must need a driver update or have some other issue. Asi say, your machine should much more capable than mine. Yet I do not see your issues.

Best

BaldyB

Thanks for the videos and comments.  Its hard to get a sense of the VR experience through video, but the VR image looks smooth and most of the gauges/instruments look clear enough to use.  Are the graphics good enough to look down and use the FMC and view things like correct speed for take-off at a quick glance?  Does SLIing make any difference to the VR experience?

The consumer VR products are priced way too high for the average gamer. So, what needs to happen is either a major price drop for the present entry level VR units or high resolution models at the present price point. Either of those possibilities are at least a year or more away IMO.

As to VR eliminating home cockpits as an option, since home cockpits are both a rarity and a labor of love, I don't see this happening. The automobile replaced the horse as the common mode of transportation but a few people still ride horses for the fun of it.

I bought my Oculus Rift earlier this month from Amazon. I don't know how I managed to find this deal but Amazon allowed you to select a package deal of $599 total for the Rift and a $100 Amazon gift card. You had to buy both which I did, so essentially I got the rift for $499 with $100 to spend for gifts for others. I have heard supposedly the Rift was coming down in price. I agree that the Rift does have a long ways to go for the product to mature. The resolution does need to get better. I suspect though the next generations we will see soon would focus more on how VR can adapt to the home game consoles like the XBox, PS4 and also lower performance PC's as these are where the major revenues are generated. Oculus and HTC are not going to get rich by making better resolution units to satisfy a small segment (like us) when they can target the larger segments who can't support this technology today. I would think it would be many, many years before we see VR even come close to 4K, which by then 8K may be the norm in television. Despite the grainy graphics of current VR, I have to say, the immersion is still incredible and something I find myself doing more in flight sim than the traditional monitor that I have been accustomed to.

Hello BaldyB,

I selected a different livery for my PMDG 777 and flew the exact same route again with no change in hardware specs that  I posted in my earlier post,

this time  I had no out of memory errors, I am wondering it was the livery that was causing this OOM issues, because on each of my attempt flying that route I was using the same livery,

and I flew like at least five times and each time it OOM, but as soon as I changed livery and I choose TIGER CARGO, it was a old livery , I don't remember the name of the painter though,

but , the flight was flawless, without any OOM's, the livery that gave me OOM's was Air Austral, that was released here at AVSIM about 2 month ago, don't remember the author's name. 

Next, I will change to different  livery and fly that route again with , Active sky 2016 and cloud art.

I think flight simulator using virtual reality hardware is the future of flight sim, I had a crisp image displays on  my primary monitor of the cockpit and surrounding sceneries, but,

nothing can come close to the immersion factor that you experience in virtual reality, if you zoom in the gauges you can read them very well just as in your regular monitors,

I use prescription contact lenses with my Occulus Rift and HTC-Vive and the image becomes even more clear and I don't need to zoom in the gauges to read them.

Using the leap motion software and hardware, you can manipulate the switches, levers and knobs, in your PMDG 777 to a limited extent, most of the common functions in the

cockpit needed to fly a route are accomplished with leap motion, that enhance the realism and immersion factor further.

I am also flying Aerofly Fs2 with virtual reality and it is a very smooth and  immersive experience.

Thanking you,

Best regards,

Aftab    

AFTAB HINGORO

I'm interested in the prescription lenses, I've not heard of that before. Are you able to order Oculus with your specific prescription?

https://vr-lens-lab.com

Reviews are mixed, and i've only ever seen availability for the vive, though supposedly they make oculus lenses as well.

Devons rig

Using the leap motion software and hardware, you can manipulate the switches, levers and knobs, in your PMDG 777 to a limited extent, most of the common functions in the

cockpit needed to fly a route are accomplished with leap motion, that enhance the realism and immersion factor further.

I am also flying Aerofly Fs2 with virtual reality and it is a very smooth and immersive experience.

Aftab.

Glad you solved your issue. I found your reply interesting regarding the livery choice.

I will try Tiger and a few others to investigate. I think it would be in any aircraft developers interest to attempt to create VR friendly aircraft. I do indeed think VR has a big future.

I did order another sensor from Oculus, they seem to be in short supply, back ordered. I have not ordered Leap Motion. I was waiting to read how well the Oculus Touch Controllers function in a Flight Sim?

How well do you like the Leap Motion controller & software? It looks to me like a slider or press is very good but a button twist is a bit tougher to accomplish? I suppose one could revert to the revert button and use the blue dot? Dan Church is a man I have faith in. He has done a fabulous job so far and I don't think he will stop until it's done a a viable, finished first class FS application.

I had an eye problem 16 years ago when retiring, cataracts, had two brand new silicone I think lenses installed in Boston. A new world seemed to open up. In any event I think perhaps Leap Motion will win the day. I have been busy building cabinets, installing s sink, garbage disposer and associated fixtures and plumbing. Waiting for counter top contractor, should have done myself. The say they cannot cut an exact matching curve around a farm house sink. Had to show them how?

As soon as I get some time I will most likely order Leap Motion Controllers. Dan did make the hands look a lot better. Next feedback glove would be, I think, the next step. It would be a big one I believe because it seems to me they would more adapt at squeezing/twisting?

Will be good to read your thoughts!

Best

BaldyB

Hello BaldyB,

Hope Dan and aircraft developers introduce VR specifications cockpits, for future developments.

For now , the leap motion solution of pushing and sliding switches and knobs in combination with

addon aircraft own native keyboard assigned functions for cockpit perform well.

The livery was a real hog on my system , when I flew in it, immediately passing Air and space meusem near Washington Dulles Airport, PMDG 777 engine and rudder fin textures changed to black colors, but no low memory chime from windows, as the flight progressed further towards Baltimore, windows low memory chimed regularly , nearing New York the plane was missing complete set of rear fuselage textures and ultimately leading to OOM.

After changing livery I had an uneventful flight on the same route. Today I will try to fly the route, with Active sky 2016 with its cloud Art combination .

Thanking you,

Best Regards,

Aftab

AFTAB HINGORO