Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

VR is the thing you want - Monitors is so last century

The image projected appears like your looking through a sheer nylon stocking.

See, that makes it sound kind of ugly right there.  Is that just in FS or all VR stuff?!

Bruce Wood

So Skywolf what you are saying can be summarised as this: the immersion the Rift brings by far exceeds the loss in eye candy.

Good summary?

Can you switch into the Avatar and see the world from the Avatar's point of view in the Rift?

See, that makes it sound kind of ugly right there.  Is that just in FS or all VR stuff?!

This is still for all VR Stuff.  While the Rift is slightly better than all the other avialable headsets if you add the occulous touch controllers (you need some kind of those controllers), the price is even higher compared to the Vive.

All first generation VR still suffers from a simple fact that the resolution in the glasses is not high enough.  Mind you, it is still worlds better than the first 3D phase in the 90s and for tech demos and "wow" effects it is great. But once the novelity wears of you realize that this is barely the beginning first steps of this technology. 

Currently only buy into VR if you really dont care about money, are a tech nerd or like new things to try out. The technology advances at the moment are so big that once the next generation comes out, the last one will be immediately obsolete.  When the DK2 came out, it was so vastly superior, that everybody developed for that and you had to buy the new headset. Same happend with the CV1.  When the second generation will appear in the next years it will have a way higher resolution than now and improve the shortcommings of today.

So if you have 800-1000$ spare and don't care for the money, go for it. Otherwise wait until the early adaptors financed the development of the real consumer product :D

• Upvote 1

So Skywolf what you are saying can be summarised as this: the immersion the Rift brings by far exceeds the loss in eye candy.

Good summary?

Can you switch into the Avatar and see the world from the Avatar's point of view in the Rift?

For me the immersion in the Rift far exceeds the loss in eye candy.  I am using AS16+ASCA and that alone makes the clouds super real - far better than ASN and Rex Soft clouds.  Performance is much higher with ASCA.

Avatar mode isn't working right for me properly or it could be that I haven't set my controls right for it - Tried for first time in Rift yesterday for about a minute.

Other games the graphics is amazing - it just that flightsim software as well know it is not super optimized.  P3Dv3 helps but Flyinside p3d does create additional stress on the gpu as it is a layer between P3Dv3.  I hope LM buys out Flyinside P3D or help the Flyinside P3D to reduce additional overheard.  All the flightsim software for Rift is beta stage.  There are bugs for sure (one has to expect it) but the immersion is what you are paying for.  The ability to be inside the airplane is one of a kind experience.

On monitors one sees the world it feels super small but in VR - I alone could spends hours around the airport as the world seems real scale and sense of massiveness is unreal.  I am sitting in my room yet in VR I am above the clouds.

This is still for all VR Stuff.  While the Rift is slightly better than all the other avialable headsets if you add the occulous touch controllers (you need some kind of those controllers), the price is even higher compared to the Vive.

All first generation VR still suffers from a simple fact that the resolution in the glasses is not high enough.  Mind you, it is still worlds better than the first 3D phase in the 90s and for tech demos and "wow" effects it is great. But once the novelity wears of you realize that this is barely the beginning first steps of this technology. 

Currently only buy into VR if you really dont care about money, are a tech nerd or like new things to try out. The technology advances at the moment are so big that once the next generation comes out, the last one will be immediately obsolete.  When the DK2 came out, it was so vastly superior, that everybody developed for that and you had to buy the new headset. Same happend with the CV1.  When the second generation will appear in the next years it will have a way higher resolution than now and improve the shortcommings of today.

So if you have 800-1000$ spare and don't care for the money, go for it. Otherwise wait until the early adaptors financed the development of the real consumer product :D

It is expensive but honestly - I didn't even sim whole of last year and I am sitting on expensive pc eqiupment for doing my work and my pc doesn't need 2 980s for work - just one AMD 6 eyefinity display port card 7750 will do the job 100% - but I had the hardware unused and before CV2 comes out and forces me to get new video cards - I factored I might as well use the current hardware that I have at my disposable right now.  I am skipping 1080 pascal current generation.  It is the generation which comes next will push VR even further.  CV1 requires 970 and I got 980 - that is good enough for me.

Now if you do A2A airplanes or GA flight (Later in the year, I will go RealAirSimulations birds) - you can push the graphics hard and the Sim is very responsive.

I still recommend that if you get a chance - try out the demo.  And if you decide to buy it - test it out and if it doesn't work you can indeed return it.  It also depends on how one sims. 

But the price to see VR cockpit for me is a dream come true in itself.

Space in Elite Dangerous is amazing.  That game is designed for VR, you have a body and maps super sweet with hotas joysticks.  Can't wait for virtual Bodies in VR.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

For many folks, like me, much of the flight sim bubble lies outside of what goes up on the (primary) monitor...for me that includes my yoke, throttle quad, kneepad, iPad with CDU, iPad with approach plates, and the side PC that runs weather, ATC, AI traffic management, and moving map.  So restricting myself to the view in a pair of VR goggles might be more immersive in one facet of the simming experience, but much less so elsewhere.  I need to see/use my hands, and I need access to all the other stuff I have that goes into the process.  So for me, a massive display system, e.g. one or more large 4K monitors, answers that mail better than anything I could do on goggles.

Perhaps for some kinds of flying--a fighter with HOTAS for example--it might make more sense.  But all the technical limitations associated with the current generation of VR goggles aside, I don't see how to bridge a strictly in-the-headset VR world with the other necessary elements of the physical environment I operate in.

Regards

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

On monitors one sees the world it feels super small but in VR - I alone could spends hours around the airport as the world seems real scale and sense of massiveness is unreal.  I am sitting in my room yet in VR I am above the clouds.

Thanks Skywolf nicely put. Do try Avatar mode if you can. It is working really well in the latest P3D. It used to be bugged but is now a really useful way for interacting with the world and seeing your replays in 3rd person. You turn it on under general settings and then use a hot key to switch back and forth from pilot to avatar view. There are also a few keys for moving around. They are all listed in the control settings if you search for avatar. It would be a great feature to know if you can view the VR world in the Rift from the Avatar's perspective.

I haven’t tried the Avatar in VR yet. Will do so and let everyone know.

I have had the Rift for a few months but didn’t bother trying with flight sim as some youtube guy said the tech won’t be ready for years.

Saw people on avsim talking bout Flyinside and gave it a crack last weekend. Holy smokes!

This changes everything. Even with the low resolution, the experience is indescribable. I cannot ever go back to monitor. Have tried Aerosoft airbus and PMDG 777 and they are both remarkable.

You cannot get any closer to the real thing than this. I can almost touch the buttons on the overhead! The cockpit dimensions are incredible. Looking out over the glairshield. Wow.

Landing is so different due to depth perception. I keep thinking i am coming in too high, cos the monitor just flattens things out.

Performance is great. Setting are high. But to be honest, i dont care much for sharp scenery anymore. Just being in the cockpit is good enough. Even on external views in flight, the experience is immense. Flying alongside a ginormous 777 on the edge of its wing! Can’t wait for the 747!

Even just sitting on the ramp is an experience. But yesterday i was in cruise on the 777 and was sitting looking out over the glairshield, a line of clouds ahead on the horizon and a thunderstorm below. Almost for the first time felt what a real pilot must feel when the are facing a long flight ahead and they simply stare outside as the time passes during their down time. Awesome!

The future for flightsim is so promising. In a year or two the resolution will improve and we will have flightsim nirvava.

• Upvote 1

I haven’t tried the Avatar in VR yet. Will do so and let everyone know.

I have had the Rift for a few months but didn’t bother trying with flight sim as some youtube guy said the tech won’t be ready for years.

Saw people on avsim talking bout Flyinside and gave it a crack last weekend. Holy smokes!

This changes everything. Even with the low resolution, the experience is indescribable. I cannot ever go back to monitor. Have tried Aerosoft airbus and PMDG 777 and they are both remarkable.

You cannot get any closer to the real thing than this. I can almost touch the buttons on the overhead! The cockpit dimensions are incredible. Looking out over the glairshield. Wow.

Landing is so different due to depth perception. I keep thinking i am coming in too high, cos the monitor just flattens things out.

Performance is great. Setting are high. But to be honest, i dont care much for sharp scenery anymore. Just being in the cockpit is good enough. Even on external views in flight, the experience is immense. Flying alongside a ginormous 777 on the edge of its wing! Can’t wait for the 747!

Even just sitting on the ramp is an experience. But yesterday i was in cruise on the 777 and was sitting looking out over the glairshield, a line of clouds ahead on the horizon and a thunderstorm below. Almost for the first time felt what a real pilot must feel when the are facing a long flight ahead and they simply stare outside as the time passes during their down time. Awesome!

The future for flightsim is so promising. In a year or two the resolution will improve and we will have flightsim nirvava.

Excellent....Yep the immersion is out of this world.  Do please watch the Airplane documentary for free in the Jaunt Video App.

Get AS16+ASCA - I know it is expensive but OMG - the effect it creates is like the real sky and wind effects around the plane.  It is Magic in VR.

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I had an Oculus Rift CV1, but had to take it back because the resolution was too low and the visuals seemed too dark, although I am reconsidering trying it out again. I do have to say it is the most incredible experience you will ever have within a flight simulator. It cannot be described with words and there is no way to show the experience via video. It simply requires one to experience it. One question though for those who have VR, my biggest frustration is I could not get HDR to work and I do not believe it is supported. Can any of you good VR pilots see if you can get HDR to work. 

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I will wait for the second or third generation before I bite!  First Gen products always have issues.

• Upvote 1

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Excellent....Yep the immersion is out of this world.  Do please watch the Airplane documentary for free in the Jaunt Video App.

Get AS16+ASCA - I know it is expensive but OMG - the effect it creates is like the real sky and wind effects around the plane.  It is Magic in VR.

Argggh. Just used up my 7 day trial before i discovered Flyinside. Gonna have to buy!

Just watched the doc. Great stuff mate. Didn’nt know about that.

I had an Oculus Rift CV1, but had to take it back because the resolution was too low and the visuals seemed too dark, although I am reconsidering trying it out again. I do have to say it is the most incredible experience you will ever have within a flight simulator. It cannot be described with words and there is no way to show the experience via video. It simply requires one to experience it. One question though for those who have VR, my biggest frustration is I could not get HDR to work and I do not believe it is supported. Can any of you good VR pilots see if you can get HDR to work.

Strange. I find that, if anything it is too bright. Especially at night. The PMDG cockpit is a little too bright.

I ran a DK2 for a year while away and it was OK, but the CV1 is light years better. You cannot make a decision on VR after the first go! Train yourself and gradually get used to the feeling and you'll not look back. Flyinside is fantastic in it's ability to give frame rates despite the sim itself only giving 20-30fps.

W6KD. I know how you feel and you've invested a lot in peripherals. However, what you will want is Leap Motion. Flyinside allows you to run a chart app inside and you p[osition the screen where your chart holder would be. The yolk and physical controls remain. but soon the Leap Motion may allow finger presses so you can lean forward and programme the on-screen CDU accurately. Add to that the prospect of being able to push and pull saittek throttles yet operate the TOGA and A/T disconnect buttons with Leap Motion means Tubes will be so more accessable than ever before.

I think there is a major upgrade soon to get the fidelity in the Leap Motion that is currently missing but the CV1 is just amazing and I'm more than happy with the graphics.

I run yolk/throttles and pedals too. plus I change to a Warthog setup when I fly in DCS with Cougar MFCDs. 

Stick with it and once the brain is trained, the Oculus or Vive will be all you wish.

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

I ran a DK2 for a year while away and it was OK, but the CV1 is light years better. You cannot make a decision on VR after the first go! Train yourself and gradually get used to the feeling and you'll not look back. Flyinside is fantastic in it's ability to give frame rates despite the sim itself only giving 20-30fps.

W6KD. I know how you feel and you've invested a lot in peripherals. However, what you will want is Leap Motion. Flyinside allows you to run a chart app inside and you p[osition the screen where your chart holder would be. The yolk and physical controls remain. but soon the Leap Motion may allow finger presses so you can lean forward and programme the on-screen CDU accurately. Add to that the prospect of being able to push and pull saittek throttles yet operate the TOGA and A/T disconnect buttons with Leap Motion means Tubes will be so more accessable than ever before.

I think there is a major upgrade soon to get the fidelity in the Leap Motion that is currently missing but the CV1 is just amazing and I'm more than happy with the graphics.

I run yolk/throttles and pedals too. plus I change to a Warthog setup when I fly in DCS with Cougar MFCDs. 

Stick with it and once the brain is trained, the Oculus or Vive will be all you wish.

Awesome post - Few months ago I did see Leap Motion on sale was contemplating it but I am sure they will be on sale again.  That is my next purchase and I am glad to hear that Leap Motion is working as promised. 

VR makes my whole room in a flight deck or if you have tried Elite Dangerous: spaceship with full VR body without head (that way it feels like it is your own - social ramifications down the road with VR will be crazy)

Back to Flightsim : I am very excited about the upcoming release and Mark you will like it as it will have better Leap Motion integration.

If you are into VR flying, it might be profitable to take a look at Aerofly FS2 which is making quite a name for itself, especially in VR Flight simulation circles.

http://www.roadtovr.com/aerofly-fs2-brings-ultra-realistic-flight-simulation-to-rift-and-vive/

Or scroll down the page here and look at all the favorable reviews by users.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/434030/

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5