Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMoser

OFX USA 5-m Mesh Users -- Am I missing something here?

Hi folks,

I know some of you (for example, Richard Sennett) are using OFX Mega USA 5-m mesh which was formerly payware (http://secure.simmarket.com/ofx-simulation-ofx-usa-mega-mesh-fsx.phtml).

I downloaded it to test it against my WIP 10-meter USA mesh, assuming they used the same NED data. But after opening up each of the 7-parts with tmfviewer.exe from the SDK, I realized all the mesh files are at a maximum LOD10, or 38 meters, and not 5-meters as advertised. This is significant because the stock USA mesh is already 38 meters, so this wouldn't improve the resolution of the USA terrain mesh at all.

Am I missing something obvious here, or is this a case of false advertising? If I am just neglecting something obvious, then I ask for this post to be removed, but if it's the latter, then I'd thought I let those who had bought this in the past be aware of this. Or when they say "5-m precision mesh", are they saying the resolution is 5-m, or that the mesh is just accurate within 5-m. I'm just confused now.

Here are the images from each of the 7 parts. You can see the maximum LOD is only 10 (stock USA mesh LOD), and not LOD13 which we be equivalent to 5 meters as advertised.

sXhxIVD.png

pJULmCd.png

Ov3i4Te.png

x8NQU1p.png

vBAGOmv.png

xuzCkdx.png

pR1Vh0J.png

Well, Daniel, thanks for posting this. I have it installed and was not noticing any difference. Glad I didn't pay for it. Going to uninstall and wait for the real deal from you. Hopefully within the next couple of months.

Eric 

Well, Daniel, thanks for posting this. I have it installed and was not noticing any difference. Glad I didn't pay for it. Going to uninstall and wait for the real deal from you. Hopefully within the next couple of months.

How did you install it although you didnt pay for it? Magic?

It was payware until it was recently made freeware.

What would be magical is if you did a little research before posting.

Eric 

What would be magical is if you did a little research before posting.

Why should I do a little research when I am not interested in that addon?

Why are you so interested in how he installed it, then?

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Simple because you made it a point to come into this thread asking how I would know details about a product. A reader would surmise because you came into the thread asking the question you did that you may have an interest in the product. Unless of course you came here mearly hoping to try and stir something up thinking someone pirated a piece of software without realizing prior to posting that it is now freeware. Hence the reason I suggested you research prior to coming into a thread in a thinly veiled amateurish attempt to try to stir the pot. Good day.

• Upvote 4

Eric 

Am I missing something obvious here, or is this a case of false advertising? If I am just neglecting something obvious, then I ask for this post to be removed, but if it's the latter, then I'd thought I let those who had bought this in the past be aware of this. Or when they say "5-m precision mesh", are they saying the resolution is 5-m, or that the mesh is just accurate within 5-m. I'm just confused now.

Back on topic, anyway...

Chances are the author is using 5m source data to create the LOD10/38m mesh files. Even though the default terrain is also LOD10/38m, the higher resolution source data should provide some modest improvements to the accuracy of the terrain. Obviously, improvements will not be as dramatic as other mesh sets which provide both better source data and a better LOD.

Most other vendors who have used higher res source data than their LOD output have noted this in their product descriptions to help avoid confusion.

• Upvote 2

Most other vendors who have used higher res source data than their LOD output have noted this in their product descriptions to help avoid confusion.

Right, and I think maybe this is the case here. They may have used a high-res source, but only outputted it at LOD10. The way they presented it though feels a bit misleading though, but it could be a language barrier thing.

Right, and I think maybe this is the case here. They may have used a high-res source, but only outputted it at LOD10. The way they presented it though feels a bit misleading though, but it could be a language barrier thing.

Good find - I am now using freemesh - but havent tried comparing - keeping my installs clean now all orxb stuff and all freemesh 

Rich Sennett

I tried the OFX mesh and was disappointed.  Tried numerous other products too, and the best I've found is LCSims 10M mesh.  A bonus is that it installs the old fashioned way... takes a bit more work but much neater and manageable.  Great mesh and I have yet to find any anomalies (although the CONUS is a lot of ground to check :smile:  ).

http://www.lcsims.com/html/products.php

Greg

I tried the OFX mesh and was disappointed.  Tried numerous other products too, and the best I've found is LCSims 10M mesh.  A bonus is that it installs the old fashioned way... takes a bit more work but much neater and manageable.  Great mesh and I have yet to find any anomalies (although the CONUS is a lot of ground to check :smile:  ).

http://www.lcsims.com/html/products.php

Greg

Yeah, I've heard good things about his mesh.

The price is right, too! :good:

Is your upcoming USA going to be at 10m or 5m? Thank you

Nevermind, just reread the OP.

Eric