Sign in to follow this  
Stearmandriver

MCE customization - my experience, and a couple questions

Is there perhaps some logic or reason that the MCE FO won't move the start lever to cutoff if he realizes the engine is already not running??

Spot on. Indeed!

The procedure that handles engine shutdown was checking engine status first. It will be patched in next update, hopefully by the end of this week.

The procedure that handles start lever switching is separate and will set the lever to desired position.

That means, until the patch comes out, one way you can get your flow going is to replace the command "shutdown engine one" with these 2 commands

engine one to idle

close fuel lever engine one

No need to change a procedure just for me. If nothing else, using a voxkey command should work for my situation. If the current set up makes sense for the majority of users then it's all good. I know I'm trying something a little more challenging...

But thanks for the explanation!

Andrew Crowley

No need to change a procedure just for me. If nothing else, using a voxkey command should work for my situation. If the current set up makes sense for the majority of users then it's all good. I know I'm trying something a little more challenging...

But thanks for the explanation!

Not changing it to accommodate your specific scenario.

It has a flawed logic and needs to be fixed ASAP.

When engine is down, all jet aircraft require to put the fuel lever to OFF, irrespective of whether it was running, flamed-out or on fire. 

Be aware Voxkey isn't very suitable for cockpit switches handling, as it doesn't have any knowledge of current state. If you had a key combination to trigger the fuel lever for instance, you'd have to visually check its current state before activating the command or you'd get unintended results.

Voxkey can be useful with non-supported aircraft, or to control other add-ons that respond to key combinations. Things like starting and stopping TrackIR...

I do have one last issue for now: when I run my engine failure / shutdown procedure on the ground, the first officer obediently moves the engine start lever to cutoff. In flight, he won't. He just pauses at that step, says nothing, and eventually skips it and moves on

Now fixed in the new patch. Unzip and replace files as per folder structure. 

http://www.multicrewxp.com/MCE-Patch2675.zip

It assumes you have already installed V2.6.7.4. Manually replace...

- "mce.exe" in C:\Program Files (x86)\Multi Crew Experience\ folder

- A few speech grammar files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Multi Crew Experience\CandC\ folder

- 3 dlls in \flightsim root folder\MCE dlls\ folder

It should also now be possible to practice your CAT III approaches.

Add the following section to your "mce.ini"

[CAT_III]

FlightCalloutHeight=

FlightCalloutText=

GroundCalloutSpeed=

GroundCalloutText=

I think above items are self explanatory. Type whatever is required.

This is a new feature and we expect it to require refinement once people start using it.

FO needs to be told about your intention to perform a CAT II approach.

Anytime after takeoff, just tell him/her

we will perform a category three ils approach
      we will perform a cat three ils approach
      we will perform a category three approach
      we will perform a cat three approach
      will perform a category three ils approach
      will perform a category three approach
      it will be a category three ils approach
      it will be a category three approach
      it will be a cat three ils approach
      it will be a cat three approach
      approach will be category three ils
      approach will be cat three ils
      approach will be category three
      approach will be cat three

Optionally_speak_whatever_you_want_here  (example, "on arrival", "at our destination", "etc..."

And of course if you can't be bothered to remember the exact wording, create your own sentence to inform him about your intention to perform a CAT III approach, and tie it to one of the existing commands above.

Hello,

This also works in the Aerosoft Airbus...."It will be a Cat Three Approach", is met with a confirmation request from the FO and then "No training for a CAT three has been done"! :fool: I just knew I needed a type rating refresher. :fool:

Happy days!

Regards

David

"No training for a CAT three has been done"!  I just knew I needed a type rating refresher.

:LMAO:  :LMAO:  :LMAO:

That's what happens when you don't provide info in "mce.ini". He doesn't have a clue what you expect from him.

Tell him at which radio altitude in feet he must make the custom call-out

FlightCalloutHeight=

FlightCalloutText=

If info is missing in any of the above, both are ignored.

Optionally tell him which ground call-out to make after landing, and at which speed.

GroundCalloutSpeed=

GroundCalloutText=

Again, if info is missing for any of the 2 items above, no call-out will happen.

Maybe should have been named "FlightCalloutSpeech" and "GoundCalloutSpeech". Too late now.  :smile:

That's great work! Way to go! You guys even thought of what FO would say if a dozy pilot like me forgets to add the lines to the .ini!:-)

Just thinking, we can now tell FO "our clean config speed will be xxx" and he acknowledges and resets the speed.

Is there a way you can write a routine where we can say "it will be a CAT three approach, callout height xXxX,(text), ground callout speed xxx (text)"....so the routine then adds this to the .ini.? Or perhaps in a similar way to the clean config speed setting?

Is there no limit to how good this add on can be? Answer, not when you have got a guy who knows how to code his program and doesn't need 3rd party devs?;) Instant support and instant upgrades!

Regards

David

Well, here's a video of a V1 cut and air return to Juneau, using my customized checklists.  Works pretty well.  Video looks lousy, must be something I don't know about video uploads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRLYAwDFM9c

Only two issues I can think of with MCE:

1.  The "bug up" command has to be spoken twice.  First time, it says it's setting clean maneuver, but it actually sets something around 230kts.  Second "bug up" command sets the speed properly.

2.  Minimums - MCE does not reference the minimums bug, it seems to always call mins at a default 200ft.  This is a problem on non-ILS approaches, and on CAT II/III as well.

But overall, pretty slick!

Andrew Crowley

Enjoyed that Andrew!

A couple of things.

Are those "failures" the PMDG set ones? I see you loose number one at V one?

Following that, would the clean maneuver speed not be single engine Vref? I have not tried it in the NGX, but if you said "our clean maneuver speed is xxx" then "bug up", would that work ok?

Great use of the "notify" and the //2 in the checklist.

I am experimenting with some .wav files. If you record some verbal instructions (or get one of your crew mates to volunteer) and then call them from a vox script with the "sound" command.....?:-)

I don't know about the minimums bug not referenced, that's one for Gerald.

Love that area, its always got interesting weather..read challenging, or plain scary?:-):-):-)

best regards,

David.

Hi David,

Yep, the failure was a built in PMDG failure, the ones you can select from the PMDG menu within the FMC. That was actually the "Vr cut"; as you said, it works out to be a V1 cut. They all happen about a second early for me, so the V1 cut is too early, and the Vr cut actually becomes a V1 cut. There's also a V2 cut, if you want something a bit later. PMDG has really done a great job modeling all their failures. They aren't all perfect but they're pretty darn good... but the engine failures actually ARE perfect, unless I'm missing something.

Clean maneuver speed is what you want after an engine failure, it's the minimum speed that provides adequate buffet margin in the clean configuration in a 30 degree bank (with 15 degrees overshoot, so really a 45 degree bank). Single engine Vref is an approach speed; I don't know off the top of my head what a clean Vref would be, but I think it'd be a bit slower since ref is 1.3 Vso and doesn't usually provide for full maneuvering.

ANYway, that's for the engineers ;-). Point is, you can see clean maneuver speed on the airspeed tape, it's the little green "up". It's actually a little slower than 214 in my video, so you can see the "up" a few knots below the bug. It's nice that you can tell MCE what your bug up speed is, but since you don't really know (unless you look it up in a performance manual) prior to takeoff because you can't see it on the tape then, MCE can never really get it right. I assume this must be written in a .dll somewhere or must be available via the sdk as other software can reference it without being told; that'd really be ideal. But this is close. The only actual problem is no matter what you tell MCE your bug up speed is (and he confirms it), he still bugs like 231 the first time, so I always have to ask for bug up twice.

The mins bug: there may be a glitch in there somewhere, maybe just for the NGX, I haven't tried MCE with any other types. But about half the time I tell MCE what our decision height is, he tries to set it but blows right by the specified value and just keeps scrolling forever, and locks up. The other half of the time he sets it correctly, but still only makes the proper verbal call out about half of THOSE times. And there doesn't seem to be a provision to specify whether he uses the baro bug or the radio alt bug; the actual plane will make its callout based on whichever bug you leave visible.

But that's all small stuff. Overall, this works really well! And yeah, Juneau is a cool place... I left the weather nice for performance reasons, but descending into the channel on a snotty day will get your attention!

Andrew Crowley

I really cant say I have used the MCE Bug Up speed setting. If its not being inputted into the PFD then it must be a code issue?

Aha, VRef single engine approach...I think its up 20 knots over the previously set flaps 30 or 40 VREF. This is equal to at least VREF for flaps 15. Bit spoiled in the Airbus with all that Mini GS malarkey...the on board computers fly the aircraft for you...."driverless cars...? :Hmmmph: Engine out, no problem, go and have a cup of tea while the 'Bus lands itself.. :wink:

I haven't noticed the decision height call, I will give it a test this weekend!

Juneau.....yes cool is the word and that offset localiser when approaching from the north.......provides many Oh My Gosh moments! :smile:

Good job!

Cheers

David

Well, here's a video of a V1 cut and air return to Juneau, using my customized checklists.  Works pretty well.  Video looks lousy, must be something I don't know about video uploads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRLYAwDFM9c

Only two issues I can think of with MCE:

1.  The "bug up" command has to be spoken twice.  First time, it says it's setting clean maneuver, but it actually sets something around 230kts.  Second "bug up" command sets the speed properly.

2.  Minimums - MCE does not reference the minimums bug, it seems to always call mins at a default 200ft.  This is a problem on non-ILS approaches, and on CAT II/III as well.

But overall, pretty slick!

Great video. More so coming from a rooky film director.

Thank you for showcasing another facet of MCE, which is to get FO to handle emergencies while going through precise QRH steps (reading instructions aloud), with any supported aircraft, and for ANY real world or virtual airline.

Obviously TTS voices don't sound as good as the other pre-recorded voices we ship. But for extreme flexibility, why not. In this case, training takes precedence over ear candy.

We hope your crew mates don't discover what gives you the advantage when going through those Level-D sim recurrent training sessions. :P

Looking forward for more engaging emergency flows.

As for the other glitches you reported, we'll do something about them.

Minimums call-out is set to 200 by default, unless you tell FO at some stage....

our decision height is XXX (and he should acknowledge before you can assume he got the information).

Not sure what MCE version you're running. If it's lower than V2.6.7.84, suggest you update to the latest version which features slightly faster flow execution and better PTT functionality.

http://www.multicrewxp.com/Downloads.html

Thanks Gerald. Regarding the minimums call out, he does ask for confirmation before setting the mins, then does attempt to set them. But most of the time, he blows right through the specified minimums altitude and just keeps scrolling until I stop him by setting the mins myself. For example, I say "decision height is 391". He asks for confirmation, then starts scrolling. When he reaches 900ft (and still scrolling), I crank the mins back down to 391 myself. This sometimes causes MCE to become unresponsive, but even when it doesn't, MCE doesn't usually make the right mins call.

Hope that makes sense. I'm not sure what version I'm on either, I haven't updated in maybe 6 weeks, I'll check.

Andrew Crowley

Hope that makes sense.

Yes, it does. Will get back to you on that later.

Regarding "bug up", one way for FO to get it without you telling him is if he had some kind of bug-up look-up based on current gross weight.

Is there such table or info in FCOM?

I'm pretty sure there's a table like that in my company performance manual, but I'm also pretty sure I'm restricted from reproducing it. I did find this in the PMDG docs though, if you can read Vref 40 for a given weight, looks like you just need to add 70:

FLAP POSITION MANEUVER SPEEDS

UP VREF40 + 70

1 VREF40 + 50

5 VREF40 + 30

10 VREF40 + 30

15 VREF40 + 20

25 VREF40 + 10

30 VREF30

40 VREF40

Andrew Crowley