Sign in to follow this  
frankolynn400

FSX Vanilla install won't write cfg

Hello

There seems to be a huge volume of correspondence dealing with what one should do if one's FSX installation suddenly goes on strike.

None of it, however, seems to be pertinent to a vanilla install that simply refuses to write the cfg file.

I clean out my system with Revo pro, make sure all the FSX files are gone, reboot, say a quick prayer and install direct to c:|FSX.

After install, try to start. Goes as far as the flash screen......

Performance graph proves that it is doing nothing, yet the icon is up on the taskbar and Task Manager affirms that FSX is running.......

Any ideas.

The same happened to my FSX-SE, which I have since removed, and will try to re-install after I've got FSX running. Probably the same infinitesimal problem screwing both programmes up.

Thanks

N

Goes as far as the "Splash Screen" and no further?  It's got to get past that to write the FSX.cfg.  Since this

is a new install, go to My Documents/Flight Simulator X folder, open it and delete Logbook.bin.  Now restart

FSX and see if it will go past your Splash Screen to you Opening Page.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hi franko

I suspect something left over from your previous install.  I'm not familiar with Revo Pro so I'll just tell you what I do.  I use the IObit Uninstaller.  I have the freeware version of Advanced SystemCare  and the Uninstaller is included with it.  During all phases of uninstall, whether through Control Panel or using IObit it checks for leftover files and asks if you'd like to delete them.  I'm always surprised at the amount of stuff that is generally found.

Here's the cheatsheet I use:

Uninstall
Programs and Features
- All FSX related until clean

Delete
- C:\FS\Microsoft Flight Simulator X
- C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
- C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX
- C:\Users\username\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files

General Cleaning
Check
- C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX
- C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\FSX
- C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Pictures\Flight Simulator X Files
- C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX
- C:\Users\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX
- C:\Users\username\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files
- C:\FS\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\

Jim F.

Thank you, gentlemen, for your replies. Your help is much more than I got from Microsoft, Dovetail or Steam. Just proves that one volunteer is worth ten pressed men (old naval saying)

Airline2Sim: Thanks. Will keep that option on the back-burner until I have absolutely no hair left to tear out.

CharlieAron: There ain't no logbook either, so the thing is getting stuck even before that!!!!

Jim F: Am busy doing a removal using your checklist..................There are a pair of things I never looked to delete before. Keep your fingers crossed, please.

F

By the way, Jim, Revo and Iobit sound very similar. There is sreeds and screeds of stuff left over after a normal removal  ( I am NOT going to use the word "uninstall!!!!)

Welcome to the forum(s). Many of us think this is the best guide available for uninstalling/reinstalling FSX: http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx . Luck.....

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.