Sign in to follow this  

Hi all

I'm looking for a new laptop to run fsx on. I will be using the PMDG 737 with it and I will also want to run relatively high graphic settings so that the game looks fairly good at least.

The laptop specs below is the one I am thinking. Would anybody be able to advise on if they think this would be a good one to run fsx on. I appreciate this is a common question so I apologise and also really appreciate any responses.

MSI GP62 6QF

Windows 10

Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ processor

15.6 inch Full HD LCD display (1920 x 1080)

16Gb RAM DDR4-2133

1Tb (1000Gb) hard drive storage with 128Gb SSD

NVIDIA GeForce 960M 2Gb GDDR5 graphics

DVD SuperMulti drive

4 speakers with Nahimic Audio Enhancer

2x USB 3.0, 1x USB 3.0 Type-

Bluetooth 4.0

Webcam

Weight: 2.3 kg

MSI GP62 6QF-453UK Leopard Pro Gaming Laptop

Depth: 249.5 MM

Display Size: 15.6in

Height: 37.6 MM

Width: 383 MM

Dongle Required: N

Graphics: Intel i7-6700HQ

Hard Drive Storage: 1 Tb

RAM Memory: 16 GB

Screen Resolution: 1920x1080

Screen Type: LCD

Touch Screen: N

Wifi Enabled: Y

I have a laptop as a secondary sim machine, with the following specs:

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT72S-6QE-DOMINATOR-PRO-G.html#hero-overview

I would recommend this one to you. It has more RAM memory, bigger screen and better video card (GTX 980M, with 8 GB video memory), that the machine you're looking for.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I've got basically the same laptop for when I'm on the road, and it runs P3D and X-Plane with relatively higher settings and good FPS. PMDG and the like runs very well on it as well. Nice little laptop! Haven't had any issues with it so far. The only downside is the battery doesn't last long at all when it's not plugged in.

-Chris Crawford

-ATP/MEL

- B737 / B777 / B-727 / EMB-145 / LR-JET

Thanks for the replies there to you both.

Chris, do you mean the same as the one I posted or as Ed said?

Do you feel as though the graphics are good on it too? I would hate to install PMDG or the good Airbus add-on and for it to lag and have to use lower settings.

Thanks

Jon

The same one as yours. I have the PE60 6QE. I'll take some screenshots in a sec, so you can see how it looks

settings2_zpsotc1qgq0.png

settings_zpszlwz3wl8.png

2016-8-10_12-46-28-899_zpscb43hmtp.png

2016-8-10_12-46-46-736_zps0mikeozf.png

2016-8-10_12-50-48-22_zpsbnswujq6.png

2016-8-10_12-51-30-699_zpsoryaw7zt.png

With those settings, it looks pretty decent to me, and runs nicely as well! I'm sure you could fine-tune it some more to get more details, but I'm happy with where I am now

-Chris Crawford

-ATP/MEL

Looks great to me. Thanks for taking the time screenshot those for me.i think my mind is made up to be honest.

Thanks again!

Last winter I purchased a MSI gt72......i7-6820, 4 gig 980m, 24 gigs ram, 2 m.2. Works beautifully. Buy as much horsepower as you can as you'll get the longest useful life out of it. I've been using laptops for flight sim since 2002.

We could use a dedicated forum for laptops.

Dave

We could indeed - there must be an awful lot of us who use just a laptop for FS for one reason or another. Any word on heat problems with any of those machines?

Gerry

I use a cooling pad that that the laptop sits on top of. It was about 30 bucks or so, and I haven't had any problems with overheating. The MSI I have, also comes with a button that speeds up the fans inside the computer. It was pretty loud, which is why I got the external fan. While my laptop isn't as powerful as my desktop, it can run most games reasonably well, and it makes overnights in crappy places more bearable

-Chris Crawford

-ATP/MEL