Sign in to follow this  
mabe54

FS9 Dies a Cold Death on My Machine

I have been flight simming since about 1996 and have never run into this problem with any version of flight simulator.I installed a couple new Reality XP guages this morning (the TAWS and the weather radar system), and immediately after, FS9 will no longer run. It simply hangs at the start screen, and then stops running after driving my CPU up over 60%....So I uninstalled this software, still no luck.Deleted my fs9.cfg file so FS would create a new one. No luck.Restarted computer several times, same result.Last, attempted to uninstall FS9 completely, and sure enough, the computer hangs again and reports FS9 is not responding...in the windows task manager. Loath as I am to do a reinstallation, I can't even uninstall FS9!Has anyone experienced this before. 'Cause I never have.If I don't check "save all files and settings" will I lose everything I've ever added on to FS9?All other programs work fine on my mid-high end computer.thanks, I've never been this stumped.chris conklin

hi chris,so doing a complete uninstall of fs9 then reinstalling didnt fix it? :-hmmmmaybe try that again if your patience allow, but im not promising anything. Dont worry though buddy, im shure some one here will show up with better advice than mine, and i bet the problem is resolved soon...Ill look around and see if i can help you out any...:-wave

Thanks Chase. Problem is I can't even uninstall the game, that hangs up after I start it, just like FS9 does. It won't work using the control panel "Remove Programs" either. That's weird, and that's the rub.chris

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

Oh man, not good. I haven't had that happen to me, yet. (finding some wood to knock on)I really hope you get 'er going again. The only thing I can think of is REFORMAT and that's not a picnic and rather severe so ONLY use that as a last resort. I'm sure once the Avsim Techno Army wakes up and reads this that they'll get you fixed up :) May have to wait a bit though, but I have high hopes.Good luck Chris.-Jeremy BurchThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying! North Carolina's worst air disaster occurred when a small two-seater Cessna 150 plane,piloted by two Duke students, crashed into a cemetery earlier today.Search and rescue workers have recovered 300 bodies so farand expect the number to climb as digging continues into the evening.The pilot and copilot survived and are helping in the recovery efforts. :-lol

Try a re-install over the existing copy as this could fix whatever is stopping the un-install......it may even fix the crash issue.I recently had a similar problem with FS crashing on start-up and for the first time in years decided to re-install instead of wasting hours and hours trying to fix an unknown problem. I can't tell you how pleased I am that I did!!Once you get the un-install sorted out, degrag a few times and then re-install, but this time do it to a new folder; I used FS9 instead of FS2004. Doing this leaves you with the remains of your old install which makes finding add-ons etc easy.One of the problems in removing your FS9.cfg file is loosing all those tweaks you spent hours on, but this is probably a bonus. After re-installing and without adding anything or making any changes other than the screen resolution, I couldn't believe how good a raw FS install actually is. I'm now firmly of the belief that all the tweaking we all do is the root cause of most problems.http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...BANNER_PAUL.jpg

Cheers

Paul Golding

Guest Wizard

Just a shot at your problem here..perhaps in 'save my files and settings', you may have a corrupt .dll that came with your latest 'addons'. This may cause the prob. And as long as it is in your modules folder..it might be the culprit.Also, I know you want to save all your stuff..been there ...hmmmm you could try removing fs9 from instructions from this MS site?!Manually remove programs from registry.Good luck!From microsoft troubleshooting site, Microsoft Knowledge BaseItem # 256986http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/EN-US/

Guest bobsk8

I had started a thread on this topic of add-ons ruining FS9 called "enough is enough" , but for some strange reason, it was moved to the hardware forum. Anyway, what I was discussing was the idea of one too many add-ons such as aircraft, gauges, scenery, etc... and FS9 bites the dust. I am now at the stage where I am becoming afraid to add anything else to my system, since it is working OK, and I read so many stories of people having problems after installing something new. So far, Windows XP system restore has saved me a couple of times, but my luck can't last forever. Good luck with your problem.

Guest Wizard

One more suggestion. Remove and save the .dll from modules-- of your latest addons!! Then boot up fs9good luck!

Then do what i always do when i uninstall fs9, go to my computer, and just find your fs9 folder, and drop it on the recycle bin. If im about to reinstall it, thats the quickest way to do it, and i never have problems... It saves the files that work with fs, that just arent in the folder. Like my cfg file... its gone through many reinstalls, and its still in good shape.. :)

Guest bobsk8

When I bought a new PC about 6 months ago and had to reinstall FS9, plus all the payware, plus all the add-ons, plus all the stuff I had added to Fs9 form months and months, it took days and days to get everything working again. lf all you have on your PC is FS9 and you fly the Cessna around, it's easy for you to ridicule someone else, that is possibly faced with a very difficult task. Why don't you grow a brain, and grow up and keep your ridiciulous commments to yourself. :)

We don't need offensive posts like this - especially from someone who's only been a member for a couple of days.

Why don't you try renameing the old FS9 file that's left behind when you uninstalled FS9. ex (Flight Simulator 9.old). Then reinstall FS9 again. You will get a fresh copy then install the FS9.1 update. Once you make sure it starts up a all works fine, you can start copying files over from your backup file.Bill M

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64