Sign in to follow this  
mabe54

FS9 Dies a Cold Death on My Machine

Before you do any drastic like uninstall (I dread having to do that some day with my copy... all 24+ gb of it), try deleting your FS9.cfg!I had the same thing happen to me, if I read your post correctly, that you start FS9 and all you get is the splash screen and it never goes any further. Deleting the FS9.cfg solved this for me.Hopefully that'll do it!

This response and the earlier one in this thread just resulted in you being shown the door. Your account has now been turned off.

Guest bobsk8

I still would try XP system restore first, before I would think about reinstalling FS9.

Have just gone through the whole mess of deleting FS9.cfg, no luck, reinstalling FS9 and update, no luck and finally a hard disk format to start all over again. Am presently at raw FS9 and gradually adding one item at a time. Amazing how smooth FS9 can really be without all the addons. I used to have FS9 at over 27gigs with every addon that came out crammed in there. Am now down to 12+ gigs.Have found many addons with dlls that cause problems and ctdts.Lucky I am retired and have lots of time to do this, 'cause it is very time consuming but the only way I found to get FS9 back to being enjoyable.Have been flight simming since FS3 on a Tandy 1000 so have seen a whole bunch of problems so far but none as frustrating as what FS9 can bring!!

Ununstallation routine sometimes leaves some addon files. The best thing to do is to copy your addons folders (including scenery, texture, gauges and other general folders that are modified by addons) to a safe place, uninstalling FS, DELETING the FS folder and all leftover cfgs in the my documents/program files etc. FS9 folder, then reinstalling. After that compare the new modules folder with the saved one and check the additional dll files you have. Then try adding them one by one. I had the same problem. In my case it was a newfangled dll from Cloud9 for their Amsterdam scenery that handles the activation and various scenery items that caused the crash. Cloud9 claims it's my system that's the problem and won't do anything, so I guess I am not buying their scenery. :(

Thanks to all who provided excellent suggestions on how to extract myself from my problem (well almost all who wrote in, thanks for stepping in Tom...).I was able to finally get the uninstall routine to work, it was hanging, likely because I've made such a corrupted mess of my FS9 folder with all of the various add-ons, I was up to almost 20GB...!A complete reinstall has my flying again with improved performance. I suspect it was corrupted reality.xp files in the modules folder, like some suggested. Usually by now FS has released a new version of the sim and I can get a clean start after the mess I've made of the previous one over two years of add-ons and tweaking....This time I backed up the whole folder and will reinstall the add-ons one by one. Doing this on a routine basis is probably a good idea, as some recommended.Anyway, thanks again for all of the help, I'm going to save it so I can refer to it if (or likely when) this happens again.aloha,chris

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

Chris, I'm very glad that you got it going again. Frustrating huh?Good luck with this install, and yes, backing up on a routine basis is a VERY good idea.-Jeremy BurchThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying! North Carolina's worst air disaster occurred when a small two-seater Cessna 150 plane,piloted by two Duke students, crashed into a cemetery earlier today.Search and rescue workers have recovered 300 bodies so farand expect the number to climb as digging continues into the evening.The pilot and copilot survived and are helping in the recovery efforts. :-lol

wow tom, he didnt last long now did he? AVSIM is better off without him with those types of posts...BTW, havent seen you around in a few days.. been out of town?:-wave

Guest Michael

Thank-You Tom ; where did all his hostility come from.And I wish you good luck Chris, I had a similar problem tying to un install a Norton product. As Paul has suggested, I re-installed the product, over the existing files, and it fixed whatever the issue was, after which I was able to do what I had to. Cheers!

Chris,If you ever have uninstalling problems again, just put disk one into your drawer and sensing that FS9 already exist's it will offer a 'uninstall' option.Glad you managed to sort it in the end.Dave T. .........On the lovely warm Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim User's Group' member at http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/

Dave Taylor gb.png

Chris: I think you reacted too fast. I know by now, it is a little too late. It is like Igor said in the movie: