Sign in to follow this  
VHOJT

HUD/HGS Runway not aligned

Hi all,

Quick question - was landing at FlyTampa YSSY 34L the other day, the HGS/HUD ended up putting the runway slightly offset to its actually position in the sim.

Does anyone know what causes this - and is there a way to fix it?

Have tried a bit of a search but with no luck.

Cheers,

Rudy

Does anyone know what causes this - and is there a way to fix it?

What do you mean by "the HGS/HUD ended up putting the runway slightly offset to its actually position in the sim" ?

Kyle Rodgers

Hmm wish I'd taken a screenshot.  Sorry - I'll be a bit clearer.

Basically, the runway outline was drawn such that it was slightly offset to the runway as visible from out the window.

You can see a less severe version of it here:

https://youtu.be/a4ctySsztR0?t=4m38s

In the YSSY case, the HUD runway outline was about a half-width displaced to the right of the runway in the simulator.

Clear as mud?

I'm fairly sure the ILS localiser was showing correctly if that's of any help.

Think that's  a known issue  with rwy34l   yssy, not  sure  about it  think  read about  it  awhile  ago now did you try 34r?

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Clear as mud?

Kinda - the video doesn't show it very clearly. I can't remember where we're calling the values from, but it could be a nav data issue compared to the sim data (i.e.: where the nav data files say the runway is vice where the scenery that you have installed says it is).

I'm fairly sure the ILS localiser was showing correctly if that's of any help.

Kinda minor, but I figure I'll help you save a little time later: just call it a LOC, or localizer. A LOC is a LOC, regardless of standing on its own, or being part of an ILS installation.

Kyle Rodgers

Kinda minor, but I figure I'll help you save a little time later: just call it a LOC, or localizer. A LOC is a LOC, regardless of standing on its own, or being part of an ILS installation.

Good point, Kyle!  Thanks.

Basically first screenshot shows the displacement when on the LOC(!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k977ch3apumq7af/Untitled2.jpg?dl=0

Second screenshot shows what happens when you are slightly (okay, maybe not slightly) off the LOC - I'm guessing this normal behaviour of the HUD?  I think this might have been what threw me the other day - was a little bit off the LOC.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6nnz6ewbv2hsj4/Untitled3.jpg?dl=0

34R seems to be accurate, but the same thing happens if you shift side to side.

It's probably me being a huge n00b.

Kinda - the video doesn't show it very clearly. I can't remember where we're calling the values from, but it could be a nav data issue compared to the sim data (i.e.: where the nav data files say the runway is vice where the scenery that you have installed says it is).

That would make some sense

Good point, Kyle!  Thanks.

Basically first screenshot shows the displacement when on the LOC(!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k977ch3apumq7af/Untitled2.jpg?dl=0

Second screenshot shows what happens when you are slightly (okay, maybe not slightly) off the LOC - I'm guessing this normal behaviour of the HUD?  I think this might have been what threw me the other day - was a little bit off the LOC.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6nnz6ewbv2hsj4/Untitled3.jpg?dl=0

34R seems to be accurate, but the same thing happens if you shift side to side.

It's probably me being a huge n00b.

Not sure if there is a lateral limit to how far out of alignment the runway will get regarding your actual position when off of centerline. I'm willing to bet that your alignment issue is a difference between your scenery and the navdata.

Kyle Rodgers

Not sure if there is a lateral limit to how far out of alignment the runway will get regarding your actual position when off of centerline. I'm willing to bet that your alignment issue is a difference between your scenery and the navdata.

That sounds like a fairly safe bet.  I'll have a fiddle around with it sometime when I get some time and report back if its anything other than that.

Thanks again for your help :)

Cheers,