Sign in to follow this  
bva_davis

Coming back to the hanger

So after about 16 months out of the hanger I have decided to get back into the cockpit and do some flying.  I am still in awe that this website is still going strong as I have not really followed it much since then.  I look forward to learning and maybe relearning what I forgot about flying.   Driving a truck for a living is a real time taker and as such the time away from flying.  Now that I have offically retired and can spend more time I will be doing more flying.

Goodonya... many have found that FS9 has moved on quite a bit, and upped the game somewhat.

I was in the same situation regarding time and now also have much more of it. Have a blast with FS, I am! I'll ask you for tips when I start messing with the truck simulators! ;)

Mark Daniels

Glad to hear someone is interested in flying ...... I was beginning to think Fs2004 was becoming a Sight Sim instead of a Flight Sim!

Glad to hear someone is interested in flying ...... I was beginning to think Fs2004 was becoming a Sight Sim instead of a Flight Sim!

No idea where you get that from. Of all the sims I consider the classic FS9 a flight sim.  :Nerd:

Welcome back!

And yes, FS9 is a flight simulator that can indeed look well. I see no disadvantage in connecting both aspects and show them in some screenshots...

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

No idea where you get that from. Of all the sims I consider the classic FS9 a flight sim.  :Nerd:

It's not the sim .... it's the people .... "Does anyone have the latest AI Paint for XYZ Air ..... mine doesn't have the decal on the left nacelle of the APU cover ...

Do you know what I mean?  All that eye candy can't be seen from the Cockpit.

bva_davis,

Welcome back! Glad to have 'ya, and glad to know you've survived all of the bad road, bad drivers, and bad Truck Stop food!

Us Niners can always use another, to (re)-join our slowly re-strengthening ranks!

Alan   :smile:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

It's not the sim .... it's the people .... "Does anyone have the latest AI Paint for XYZ Air ..... mine doesn't have the decal on the left nacelle of the APU cover ...

Do you know what I mean? All that eye candy can't be seen from the Cockpit.

I can understand this. I look at the outside of the plane when it's at the gate before starting anything and usually flip to an external view at cruise while there is nothing much else to do and I go off and make a coffee or whatever. All other times pretty much in the cockpit. Even if on hold for takeoff I like to stay in the cockpit and watch through the windows AI on approach and landing. Each to their own I guess but yes, I bought it as a flight simulator and too much outside stuff makes it feel like a plane game for me.

Mark Daniels

Fs9 is still the best thing to have when you like high frame rates, no ctd's or oom's.

Im happy to see that fs9 is still going strong altough the developers have left us in favour of fsx.

Are there actually any developers who are still developing for fs9?

Bert,

It depends on your personal tastes; Milton Shupe & crew are still putting out high quality Freeware Models like their recent Grumman Mallard/Turbo Mallard series, TDS with their 787, 737NG and 727 (no VC, though)...

So there's still some development for Nine going on, albeit not at the pace FSX/P3D/XP is at.

Alan  :smile:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Dont knock the guys for wanting all the rivets where they should be.

Flight Simming IS very different things for different folk, & if looking for eye candy. driving a car, or a boat in FS2004 CERTAINLY does NOT make anyone a lessor simmer than someone that flys 'by the numbers'!

Have a look at Garry & Ed's freeware stuff, for example, at http://www.ford-tri-motor.net/

That says it all, our hobby should & can be Fact, Fiction & Fun, for all!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

if looking for eye candy. driving a car, or a boat in FS2004 CERTAINLY does NOT make anyone a lessor simmer than someone that flys 'by the numbers'!

I intended to quote this the other day and forgot about it.

In my comments I certainly didn't intend to 'force' the way I do things and suggest everyone else should be doing this too. People like that drive me nuts! lol

I do like the fly by numbers approach but then I do things that many others wouldn't deem realistic like taxi my aircraft straight through another AI aircraft if it's in my way!

What makes FS so great is there is so much opportunity to use this sim in so many different ways. You can fly differently, you can view the graphics in different ways, you can mix realism with fiction in whatever way works best for you, you can create things, paint things, it goes on and on and on. Compared to say a game like a first person shooter, you get damn good value and flexibility out of a flight sim!

It's all just about enjoying what we are individually doing through FS.

• Upvote 1

Mark Daniels

And thats exactly what it is.

Fs9 brings me lots of fun because all of all posibilities within the traffic and all the repaints and stuff. I love developers like FAIB. They have brought some beautiful airplanes into fs9 so my traffic looks great. With painters like Juergen Baumbusch and others it looks very realistic. Love this man.

I always try to keep my traffic up to date with all the new repaints. I love to fly the QW757 or my new iFly737 between them.

Its a shame that the developers have stopped making new airports in the USA. Sceneris like Phoenix, Houston and Memphis would have been great for fs9 but they are only for FSX. I just dont want to start with FSX because it will kill my frame rates.

And thats the reason I stay with fs9. I got the most complex settings with all sliders maxxed, 100% traffic. I got frame rates in the 70's (target at fps at 70) with drops to 40 at very large airports like JFK.

I cant give any reason to quit fs9. :-)

Who needs P3D & FSX when we already have... 

FS2004 Rideable Black Stallion

Features- 3 animated speeds riders head turns horses head tail legs move custom sound Panel and VC (saddle). Freedom of customization.Be sure to read the read me for info on operation and tips. Not tested in FSX but may work. Gmax model and textures by Greg Ebnit. XML coding from FFDS. 16MB

Blackstallion.JPG

& Flying Elephant!?
3.11Mb (5424 downloads)
Yes, you guessed it! This is a flying elephant. A member of the forums requested it and he got it. I think everyone else will enjoy the "Flying Elephants FE-200" too! I hope you don't expect a Virtual cockpit! Original MDL file by Microsoft. Made flyable by Brandon Filer.
flying%20elephant_sm.jpg-thumb.jpg

And, not forgetting the infamous...

Mothra.JPG

FS2002/FS2004 Mothra Science Fiction Animation Plastic Model Series No.30. This is based on the Japanese movie "Mothra". This is new version "mothra" that is possible a highspeed flight(after 1996). By Kazunori Ito. 1MB

demekin1.JPG

FS2002 Kuro Demekin (black pop-eyed goldfish) It is the 2002 Christmas present from Sakichi System. Kuro Demekin is one of the famous goldfishes in the kind of a goldfish of Japan. The big eye which jumped out is the feature of that. Please enjoy the animation of Demekin with an external viewpoint. :-) By Sakichi System (Ogawa Tetsuji 'm0m'). 382K

And, of course for the enevitable...

grunterw.jpg

Grunter BP1 (Big Pig) by Stuart Green Model features Moving legs at taxiing "Streamlined" pose in flight Aileron ears Teat flaps Twin nose cannon 6 underbelly teat guns for straffing (use 5 on your keypad for target view) Virtual tailhook for carrier landings Custom pigpoo bombs Er..what can I say...have fun. I made this one big so it isn't too hard to hit Smoke that bacon! Poo on the enemy!. 492K

So, yes, I do have a lot of fun with things like these. I have been simming for many years, since the FS2000 days, & very often, point to point flying gets very boring. Let's face it, what we have in FS2004 is a superb quote from Garry L Smith on his Ford Tri-motor Project site (of which I have a separate install just for his stuff!)  Flight Simming is a combination of Fact, Fiction & Fun!

Having this kind of fun, in my humble opinion, certainly does NOT make me a lessor simmer.

P.S. Have a look at the http://www.ford-tri-motor.net/ site. There are gems there, including textures & a whole lot of scenery, including ramps & sloping runways.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...