Sign in to follow this  
bbuckley

Scenery issue around intense add on airports

My system (see specs in sig) has generally been performing beautifully.  The only issue I have has been nagging me for months.  When arriving at either LatinVFR KSNA or SIM720 Palomar KCRQ I get blocks of scenery.  At KSNA it's always blocks instead of trees or the tall grasses. I've tried turning down settings and reducing Autogen all to no avail.  Can some fsx.cfg guru look at the relevant sections of my settings below and give me some advice?  I have a pic but can't seem to post it here.

Greatly appreciated!!!
Bruce 

[GRAPHICS]
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693500672
SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693500672
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096
NUM_LIGHTS=8
AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
LANDING_LIGHTS=1
AC_SELF_SHADOW=0
EFFECTS_QUALITY=2
ForceFullScreenVSync=1
ForceWindowedVSync=1
GROUND_SHADOWS=0
HIGHMEMFIX=1
TEXTURE_QUALITY=3
IMAGE_QUALITY=0
See_Self=1
Text_Scroll=1
D3D10=0

//[bufferPools]
//UsePools=1
//PoolSize=10485760
//RejectThreshold=126976

[Display]
BLOOM_EFFECTS=0
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120
UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0
WideViewAspect=True

[Main]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.2

[sCENERY]
LENSFLARE=0
DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1
IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=4

[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=6.500000
MESH_COMPLEXITY=100
MESH_RESOLUTION=25
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=28
AUTOGEN_DENSITY=4
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=500 // Default 4500
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=400 // Default 800
DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
WATER_EFFECTS=4

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=116

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

If nothing helps it could simply be errors in the scenery data crept in somehow. Try reinstalling the scenery or even redownloading it first.

Could be cross interaction with certain scenery items, try turning off some in the Scenery page.

Or maybe the order of scenery layers is wrong somehow.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Hi Bruce,

Reinstall or redownload / reinstall, as suggested above, is the first thing to do. Another thing to look for would be duplicate AFCAD files, perhaps left behind by any previously installed freeware. I doubt if your settings are the problem as you don't seem to have the problem elsewhere and your system is quite powerful.

Bill

Check you sceneries for duplicates with "SimpleAirportScanner" program.

Cheers,

Thanks.  I uninstalled and reinstallled KSNA.  Checked for any potentially conflicting AFCAD files manually.  I'll check out SimpleAirportScanner.  I turned off an airport scenery option to have photoscenery and landclass around airport since I also have MegaScenery LAX / SAN and Southern California sceneries.  I have the airports at a higher priority in the scenery cfg.  On a short flight tonight the "block trees" at KSNA were still there.  The trees on approach outside the airport area were fine.  This was before I uninstalled / reinstalled however so I'll try again tomorrow.  I'm also going to post in LatinVFR support forum.

Are these trees likely "Autogen"?  I've tried the bufferpool section in & out and no difference I can notice on this issue.

Thanks,

Bruce

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

I'm also going to post in LatinVFR support forum.

Have you found a solution on the Latin VFR forum Bruce?

If you are still experiencing the problem, you could try turning off some of the object files in KSNA one at a time, as KSNA doesn't seem to have a specific trees file, although if it is also occurring in KCRQ, then it could well be an issue in some addon remote from KSNA.

Bill

Sorry, was out of town a few days..

Have you found a solution on the Latin VFR forum Bruce?

If you are still experiencing the problem, you could try turning off some of the object files in KSNA one at a time, as KSNA doesn't seem to have a specific trees file, although if it is also occurring in KCRQ, then it could well be an issue in some addon remote from KSNA.

Bill

They are trying to help but so far it has them stumped.  I am trying to recreate similar circumstances at KSAN another LVFR add on that I haven't had any issues at.  I'm also going to try KSNA with the MegaSceneryEarth California South disabled.  Since I have MSE LAX TCA Ultra Res also maybe the 3 sets of scenery is just overwhelming or conflicting.  MSE California South, MSE LAX UltraRes, then LVFR KSNA.  Should be able to report back by tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

Sorry, was out of town a few days..

They are trying to help but so far it has them stumped.  I am trying to recreate similar circumstances at KSAN another LVFR add on that I haven't had any issues at.  I'm also going to try KSNA with the MegaSceneryEarth California South disabled.  Since I have MSE LAX TCA Ultra Res also maybe the 3 sets of scenery is just overwhelming or conflicting.  MSE California South, MSE LAX UltraRes, then LVFR KSNA.  Should be able to report back by tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

Probably worth disabling every addon in that area other than KSNA and if everything is good, add them back in one at a time and see if you can identify the culprit.

Bill

If nothing helps it could simply be errors in the scenery data crept in somehow. Try reinstalling the scenery or even redownloading it first.

Could be cross interaction with certain scenery items, try turning off some in the Scenery page.

Or maybe the order of scenery layers is wrong somehow.

This is now the most annoying and disappointing problem I’ve had with an FSX add on.  LatinVFR seems unable to help at all.  I’ve tried disabling MegaSceneryEarth sceneries, I’ve tried re-downloading and re-installing KSNA, I've tried re-ordering scenery priorities, I’ve tried turning down the resolution of my REX4TD textures, and nothing seems to work.  I have a pretty powerful system (specs below).

Steve W -- I went to codelegend.com and made sure my fsx.cfg and NVIDIA Inspector profile was set up as you outline for DX9.  I had high hopes that turning off Transparency AA (supersampling and multisampling) and setting the AA setting to 3x3s would do it, but no luck.  I also changed Bufferpools to USEPOOLS=1 and POOLSIZE=2048.  I have jpg screenshots but I can't upload them in this forum I guess.

Any thoughts appreciated!  I follow your posts and advice closely.  Always educational.

​Thanks,

Bruce

I think I figured out the screenshot upload.

2016-8-25_20-6-57-388%20%282%29%20%28800

2016-8-25_20-5-50-555%20%282%29%20%28800

Hi Bruce, those settings wouldn't normally contribute to problems like you describe, but at least you've checked it. I would try installing a stock FSX to see how it goes on that, I keep a stock install to swap in by renaming folders. A bit tedious but sometimes there's problems that are too hard to find otherwise.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Hi again Bruce. From the screenshots it looks very like a problem I had with Aerosoft Luxembourg in my FS9 days and that never got resolved! I wish you luck as I know how frustrating these issues can be and how it can become an almost obsessional preoccupation (speaking for myself anyway) to get them resolved! Do the Megascenery products you use in this area contain autogen for trees as I thought it was just photoreal scenery?

Bill

Hi again Bruce. From the screenshots it looks very like a problem I had with Aerosoft Luxembourg in my FS9 days and that never got resolved! I wish you luck as I know how frustrating these issues can be and how it can become an almost obsessional preoccupation (speaking for myself anyway) to get them resolved! Do the Megascenery products you use in this area contain autogen for trees as I thought it was just photoreal scenery?

Bill

Hey Bill!  It has become an obsession with me.. :)  My FSX DX9 setup works beautifully except for this nagging problem, and a related issue at KCRQ, and occasionally when I switch on the panel lights in my Carenado Archer the gauges have a black box around them.   Each of these problems gets fixed by pausing for a moment, switching to windowed mode, then back to full screen.  In that reloading process everything comes back the way it should. 

So, I'm convinced that I have some kind of issue of balance between the CPU and GPU where in these intense HD scenarios, initially some texture transparencies don't get processed right.  But I don't know enough about how FSX does the processing to know what to change.  I don't think the scenery itself is bad, or that I have a conflicting scenery, although it could be but I've tried disabling everything and turning back on one at a time.  The problem in doing that is that I also have ASN and PilotEdge running so to replicate the problem takes quite a setup and flying into the airport from outside the area, so it takes a long time.  I'll figure it out someday.. Thanks for your continued help!  Appreciated.

Bruce

So, I'm convinced that I have some kind of issue of balance between the CPU and GPU where in these intense HD scenarios, initially some texture transparencies don't get processed right. But I don't know enough about how FSX does the processing to know what to change. I don't think the scenery itself is bad, or that I have a conflicting scenery,

After much continued troubleshooting, I discovered that the "blocky trees" were not happening when I flew the Carenado Phenom 100 but did happen almost all the time with the Carenado PA28 Archer.  No idea why that airplane seems more intense on processing, but I figured it must be a CPU overload issue.  So I changed my Affinity Mask from 116 (01110100) to 252 (11111100) to use all the LPs above 0 & 1 since I have a BAT file that starts ASN, PE Client, and FSXFlight with Affinity 3 (00000011).  After a quick test flight in the Archer everything was perfect! 

Does this make sense to anyone? 

Thanks,

Bruce 

Makes sense to me.  You are setting certain processes to run on set cores,  This dedicates each core to performing a finite number of tasks rather than having all the cores tasked with performing all of the jobs.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thanks stans, but more flights show this wasn't the answer. I'm out of airspeed, altitude and ideas, all at the same time...