Sign in to follow this  
DaryllB25840

Scenery Layering Advice sought: Dreaded FS9 Reinstall approaching

Guest JTEK99

Greets, all.I'm consulting with the best and the brightest here on the AVSIM forums; tons of great help here.I'm just about to do a dreaded full wipe and re-install of FS2004 and am very concerned about how to "layer" all my scenery in the library once again. Currently, I have quite a bit of payware (I'm a scenery junkie) and I've pretty much followed so many tips and tricks in layering that I really no longer have any idea how it should all be set up and layered *properly*.ANY information on what the best layering scheme for all this (esp. concerning landclass, mesh and photoreal files) would be GREATLY appreciated.In a nutshell, here's the layering scheme I currently have in my library (abbreviated, but in order). I'm hoping that someone else out there might have the same scenery packages I have and pass on some advice. :)MegaCity - San Francisco (6 layers)Cloud9 Amsterdam-Schiphol (airport)Cloud9 Amsterdam-Schiphol (city)Cloud9 Amsterdam-Schiphol (terrain)FlyTampa - MiamiFlyTampa - TampaFlyTampa - San FranciscoFlyTampa - SeattleFlightZone01 - Rhode IslandFlightZone01 - Rhode Island (landclass)FSGlobal2005 - Mesh - NAM (North America)*Austria Pro 2004 - ViennaAustria Pro 2004 - ObjectsAustria Pro 2004 - LandclassAustria Pro 2004 - MeshFlightParisBP - Landclass (LC)FlightParisBP - Scenery (SC)FlightCorseBP - Landclass (LC)FlightCorseBP - Scenery (SC)MegaScenery - Pacific Northwest (24 layers!)MegaScenery - Southern California (9 layers)MegaScenery - Norther California (14 layers!)Alaska Cinematic Volume 1Aerosoft RealGermany 2 Photoreal Scenery (4 layers)Misty Fjords SceneryMisty Fjords LandscapeUltimate Terrain - USAUltimate Terrain - USA-CanMyWorld2004 Landclass (worldwide)ADDON SCENERY (the default FS addon scenery library, that is)AERIAL PHOTO LAYERS (the ones that come with FS9)FSGlobal2005 - Mesh - SAM (South America)FSGlobal2005 - Mesh - OCE (Oceania)FSGlobal2005 - Mesh - EUR (Europe)FSGlobal2005 - Mesh - ASI (Asia)FSGlobal2005 - Mesh - AFR (Africa)... the rest of the Default Scenery/Terrain layers for FS9 ... * Someone told me that I should place the FSGlobal North American mesh up higher than either MegaScenery or Ultimate Terrain... I can't remember which.Does anyone see anything glaringly wrong with the above that you might lend some advice? Does it look o.k.? Is this o.k to reproduce upon a fresh FS9 install?Again, any and all advice/comments/screaming/flaming is welcome. :) Much obliged for reading throught it all!J.P.S.: One extra thing... I'm currently using the following textures: (a) FScene Textures, all seasons for USA/Canada and Europe) and (:( Bird's Eye View, Summer USA/Canada textures. Don't know if I need some advice on that or not, but I thought I'd mention it.

Well I don't have Megascenery but generally I follow this rule of Mesh lowest, landclass above these, then airports. There's no reason why you can't make multiple scenery.cfg files and see which one gives the best result.Back up everything first mate and good luck. If you have HD space just keep your original full fs folder install somewhere to the side and use it to bring back all your addon bits. Even point your scenery.cfg to the entire old addon scenery folders.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

J.Why don't you get FSM (Flight Sim Manager)"fsm280.zip", it has a set-up exe. for installation. It's a free download from AVSIM library because I have it. It will fix a bunch of problems including the one describe. It was given honorable mention in the recent awards.I had problems with some addon scenery in the Misty Fiords (Fjords) area. My sim would always crash when I approached those scenery areas. I troubleshooted the problem but could never fix it. I eventually put check marks on those sceneries so the addon scenery manager would NOT load it and I just left the scenery in my sim.When I installed FSM I clicked on the scenery tab. The scenery page had a function to let FSM inspect your scenery layers. I checked the box to let FSM correct any problems. It found layer problems and fixed it. I still occasionally scan the scenery and it comes back that I have no scenery problems.Since then I haven't had any problems with my addon sceneries that had given me problems. Look in the library for;fsm280.zip"...FlightSim Manager 2.8Compatible with both FS2002 and FS2004FSM is a great tool for managing add-ons to Microsoft Flight Simulator. From a InstallWizard, hangar option, aircraft editor, tocomplete diagnostic - this manager does itall. FSM can also run FS over networked PCswith many other features.Rana Hossain ( rana.hossain@ranainside.com)29 March 2005..."

J. FYI my earlier posting.fsm285.zip is the newest version and you might have to download it from his website www.RanaInside.com look under downloads.The older version fsm280.zip has some kind of timer in it. it will deactivate and mine did. Options are to download the newer version or turn back your clock and go into the older version and sign up to get updates which apparently will reactivate it.