Sign in to follow this  
flyinpilot212121

Finally purchased prepar3d! Very confused!

P3D IS FSX. :smile:

I don't use P3D, and never will, but what I'm about to suggest is the must have add-ons for FSX/P3D:

1) Scenery: FTX Global + Vectors + LC NA & EU + Freeware Mesh Package. (I guarantee that these add-ons will transform your sim experience.)

2) Weather: A16 + REX4 Texture Direct + Soft Clouds. (Same as above)

3) Airports: Too many to mention, but if you want a list of the best, just ask.

4) ATC: I use default + Editvoicepack and it's better than the payware that I've tried.

5) AI Traffic: WOAI is free and easy to install, but My Traffic Pro 6 would be a better option.

6) Utilities: FSUIPC, EZDOK, the GTN 750, and FSC for flight planning.

7) Airplanes: PMDG (777, 737) Realair (Lancair & Duke) and A2A has a Comanche 250 that kicks....

If you do not have an SSD, run and get one. Most payware addons can be bought on sale, so wait for sales and save some money.

Lastly, if you're a VFR flyer, then FTX regions are a must have. Check out all their amazing add-ons at fullterrain.com.

thanks for the info!! its appreciated.

Well, there certainly have been quite a few versions of AS but in this case 16 stands for 2016. So it's not a version number. ;) If they had kept on using version number I think (not completely sure) AS16 would have been called AS10. After 6.5 there was ASE, AS2012, ASN and now AS 2016. Or something like that.

Oh ok got ya lol..As I said Ive been gone for a few years and it now seems that so much has changed in such a short amount of time.

I did have fsx, bare bones off of steam, but using prepar3d on my system it runs so much smoother and I find it more immersive, but im tallking right out of the box and on my system, which is not a powerful system by any means, and not comparing to start anything, just my observation on my end!

Going from FSX to P3D, makes you wonder why you put up with FSX so long. 

• Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

P3D IS FSX.

No, it is not.

Prepar3D is based on the ESP product from Microsoft which was based off FSX.  However, the level of internal changes in Prepar3D makes it a completey different sim in many, many aspects.

While there is compatibility (intentional) between the two... they are not the same sim and making such a claim is grossly inaccurate and misleading.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Going from FSX to P3D, makes you wonder why you put up with FSX so long. 

Maybe I lucked out as I didn't really get heavily involved in fsx, I bought it from steam at a really low price, maybe 10$ or something, thought id give it a try as I was worried that p3d would destroy my system, turns out it was the opposite, i was heavily involved in fs9, however starting back up it i wasn't really interested in investing the time to set it up as to how i once had it,I wanted to get current if you will and something "new".. Glad I gave it a shot as I dont regret it... But nothing against fsx, to each their own, I did give it a chance but it just didn't do it for me unfortunately.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Personally I would hold off on AS16.  It is expensive and REX weather is just around the corner.  AS16 works best with their own clouds (more expense) but they don't look that great.  Might be better to wait for a little but to get the reviews on the REX weather program or purchase ASN which is significantly cheaper and without getting the AS16 clouds I don't think you miss very much that AS16 has to offer.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

No, it is not.

Prepar3D is based on the ESP product from Microsoft which was based off FSX.  However, the level of internal changes in Prepar3D makes it a completey different sim in many, many aspects.

While there is compatibility (intentional) between the two... they are not the same sim and making such a claim is grossly inaccurate and misleading.

Saying they are the same sim, is like saying Windows 7 is the same as DOS 3.1... :wink:

Personally I would hold off on AS16.  It is expensive and REX weather is just around the corner.  AS16 works best with their own clouds (more expense) but they don't look that great.  Might be better to wait for a little but to get the reviews on the REX weather program or purchase ASN which is significantly cheaper and without getting the AS16 clouds I don't think you miss very much that AS16 has to offer.

As 16 works and looks fantastic with Soft clouds or even default clouds for that matter. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Oh, BTW, does vatsim support prepar3d?

Sure it does! Vatsim will work on any sim platform so long as there is a Pilot Client. VATSIM is alive and well however Squawkbox is gone and has been replaced with the far superior V-Pilot. 

That is the new client, very similar to sqauwkbox in configuration, but miles different everywhere else. Very fluid smooth traffic, other aircraft taxiing by etc, look great and run smooth. 

Sure it does! Vatsim will work on any sim platform so long as there is a Pilot Client. VATSIM is alive and well however Squawkbox is gone and has been replaced with the far superior V-Pilot. 

That is the new client, very similar to sqauwkbox in configuration, but miles different everywhere else. Very fluid smooth traffic, other aircraft taxiing by etc, look great and run smooth. 

thanks, I downloaded vpilot and gave it a whirl,

Where can I get free model sets for it to avoid the constant error message saying something along the lines of "model xxxx isnt available etc."

Is there one all inclusive download that can fix this?

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Saying they are the same sim, is like saying Windows 7 is the same as DOS 3.1... :wink:

As 16 works and looks fantastic with Soft clouds or even default clouds for that matter. 

OK but so does ASN but  AS16 with softclouds cannot take advantage of the dynamic cloud texture changes.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

OK but so does ASN but  AS16 with softclouds cannot take advantage of the dynamic cloud texture changes.

Just get AS2016 + ASCA + SoftClouds, they work very well together. ASCA injects SoftClouds instead of their own.

No, it is not.

Take a chill pill.  :smile:

I was simply informing someone of some important add-ons that will work with both FSX & P3D. Even if there's an upgrade charge by some devs.

What I'm writing is very accurate to me. As far as I know from experience. Both sims do the same things and use most of the same add-ons.

• Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

thanks, I downloaded vpilot and gave it a whirl,

Where can I get free model sets for it to avoid the constant error message saying something along the lines of "model xxxx isnt available etc."

Is there one all inclusive download that can fix this?

I use Ultimate Traffic II for my AI, and when I am flying online the AI schedules are disabled but V-Pilot uses the models from UT2. So I cannot comment otherwise, but if you do happen to have UT2 I can say it looks very good!

Really?

If I would have wrote FSX is XPX, you would be correct.

This thread will remind me to let some simmers fend for themselves and end up more confused than when they started.

I better not write anymore. It might be misconstrued as inaccurate & misleading.

• Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Just get AS2016 + ASCA + SoftClouds, they work very well together. ASCA injects SoftClouds instead of their own.

IMHO that's a waste of money: AS16 doesn't 'inject' Soft Clouds, it simply uses them. The only thing that gets injected dynamically will be the ASCA skies and I wouldn't buy ASCA just for those.

Yes it does but it cannot change them on the fly.  You get one set of textures for the entire flight.

IMHO that's a waste of money: AS16 doesn't 'inject' Soft Clouds, it simply uses them. The only thing that gets injected dynamically will be the ASCA skies and I wouldn't buy ASCA just for those.

Correct.  If you are going to use Soft Clouds, might as well get ASN for half the price.

Mark W   CYYZ      

Active Sky 2016 has a 7 day free trial so try before you buy!

No one has mentioned Simstarter NG which is a fairly recent but inexpensive payware version of a long running product.

And if you want to know what's really going one we should reminded you to check out YouTube especially FroogleSim who is a great source of recommendations and a weekly news round up.

UK P3DV5 and Xplane 11 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA), A-Z (WUS)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - Samsung 970 Evo  500GB M.2 NVMe, 1TB HDD 7200.