Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

insufficient space to install P3D

Hello all'

To my knowledge, this is my first item on this forum, although I have started topics on problems with P3D and FSX on Avsim.

Firstly, after the initial download of the Academic version of P3D V3.3.5 (a process which took almost 1 and a half days (slow Indonesian internet) I could not get the checksum to match.  I waited and did another download whilst visiting Australia where internet is slightly faster and the download only took about 45 minutes.  Checksum all ok.

I came home from Australia and tried to install this programme into my SSD (170GB free) and promptly got an insufficient space for installation error.  Hmm, I thought.  So I tried to install into another HDD (971gb free) and got the same error message.

With my first installation (Before and after checksum problem) I was able to install, get my main screen, select aircraft, etc but as soon as I clicked "Fly Now" the programme crashed to desktop.

Second download and installation has not even got this far.

I feel sure that this is a very simple and quick fix but I do not have a clue about where to start. 

If necessary I could submit a copy of the error log but I feel, at this stage at least, it is not needed.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or suggestions

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

It helps to use a download tool such as Internet Download Manager.  This tool can restart most downloads if they are interrupted, and it downloads slightly faster than your browser alone can.

P3D system requirements at the LM site list 30 GB with 10 GB on C: drive as minimums.  The installation will grow with add on scenery for sure, mine is at 194GB today.

The system space error could be related to a problem someplace in your system.  I assume you are using NTFS file format, make sure you don't have any quotas or size management settings turned on in your OS.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan,

I really appreciate your reply and you have pinpointed my problem.  I was unaware that P3D required 10gb of drive c space and I am now down to 8gb of free space on drive c.  

It would appear that a drastic deletion process or a new SSD is required.

Thank you so much for your help.

Cheers

Tony Chilcott

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I wish there was a way around the c drive requirement, I partioned my main hard drive with what is now a too small c drive...A pain for stuff like this when I have plenty of space on other drives.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I wish there was a way around the c drive requirement, I partioned my main hard drive with what is now a too small c drive...A pain for stuff like this when I have plenty of space on other drives.

P3d isn't on my C drive. It works fine on it's own drive.

You should learn how to move the ProgramCache folder from your C drive... that will eliminate a great deal of issues over time.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Do you know of any information you could point me towards?

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Thanks!  I'll have a read through.

Dave

A method that I use to use symbolic links to my Prepar3d folder from content on bigger HDDs using Symlink Creator

https://sourceforge.net/projects/symlink-creator/

My method using ORBX as an example (however this process works for any content)

Move your ORBX folder from prepar3d folder to a bigger HDD
Create blank ORBX folder in your prepar3d folder.

Open symlink creator

Type of link: Directory Hard Link (/J)

Destination (Link): /Prepared directory/ORBX
Source (Target) location of actual ORBX directory
Create Link

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Hello all,

Just a quickie to let you know how I got on.

First of all, I had installed (by the best technician I can find here in Indonesia) two new 240GB SSds which, by the way, now gives me three of the beasts.

The result of that was that installation, I could no longer access FS2004 (on a completely seperate drive)  my graphics cards could no longer be recognised and reloading drivers did nothing.  Windows 7 (dual boot system with Win10 on my original SSD) now took up to 7 minutes to load and Windows 10 could no longer be accessed.

Not too shabby an effort at installing two new drives eh?

The end result was that I had to reformat the original drive C(SSD), and reload the original WIN7 ultimate 64bit.   This was done by me after the technician (I use the word loosely)  had departed the scene of the crime. This, after some configuring, sorted out the GPU problem although loading Win7 still is a lengthy process (probably 2 minutes) I considered that as "problem solved"

I then tried to access FS2004 and had more major problems which resulted in a re-install of FS2004 on to one of the new SSDs. After reloading all my addons etc I ran FS2004 I found performance and graphics incredibly enhanced to a level that amazed me. Yeehaaa ... I thought "who really needs P3D now.  (just a momentary thought fellas...sorry)

I then attempted another reinstall of P3Dv3.5 and up it came with absolutely no problems. Had a quick flight using one screen and all was pretty good with 30fps (locked on 30fps)  Feeling pretty reckless I tried two and then three and eventually utilised all six of my screens.  Frames dropped to 20 in clear skies and down to 15/16 on ground with sliders set reasonably high.  I judged that to be a complete success,  especially given my ancient system.

In summary, all is good albeit a very lengthy process and because I have a 240GB SSD running only my Windows OS I did not need to resort to the cache solution. This is something I will think about seriously though at a later date.  For now, I simply wish to thank you all for your help and suggestions. 

For now I shall continue using P3D but until LM goes 64bit and an hardware upgrade to i7 6800 and GTX1070s I will not be purchasing any sceneries, utilities or aircraft.  This will mean, obviously upgrading with freeware for the timebeing.  That of course brings up the question of which is best for each category.  I do not wish to start a new thread if one exists already and a search of many pages of topics has failed to reveal where the existing threads are.  Can anybody point me to a recent one (ie page number etc)

Thanks again guys and girls and again apologies for (a) mentioning a quickie in the intro and be for being so longwinded again.

Regards to all

Tony 

Tony Chilcott.