Sign in to follow this  
FLY757X

P3D V3 & i7 4790K (Poor Performance)

Hello, I recently bought an i7 4790K for my system, From what I heard from other people it is a great CPU, When I tested it I was surprised to see that a friend of mine was getting more FPS than me, He runs a i5 4690K at 4.4GHz and I run my i7 4790K at 4.5GHz, also he as a GTX 560 and I have a GTX 960. I know it isn't fair to compare to systems like this, My system is as follows:

i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz

MSI GTX 960 2GB model

8GB DDR3 Ram

Seagate 1 Tb HD.

Is there any tweaks that can help boost my frames in anyway?

The Addons I run are:

FTX Regions, NI,SCO,ENG

FTX Global Base Pack

PMDG NGX 737/777 (All expansion packs)

Airbus X A318-A319-A320-A321

UK2000 Airports

Aerosoft Airports

Many other developers too like FlyTampa & LatinVFR

What frame rates do you have now? You have some pretty FPS intensive add-ons - if you are flying out of a large busy airport (i.e. Heathrow) with a PMDG and full Orbx scenery I wouldn't be surprised if you are getting about 15 FPS.

Your hardware is solid albeit that you have a 2gb graphics card. Note that p3d can utilize 4gb and addons such as PMDG recommend 4gb.

Also what are your AI settings? Traffic = low FPS.

These are a couple of good tutorial videos from Matt Davis to start...

Thank you! I have watched those videos on numerous occasions, My FPS at Heathrow can start of as 25-30 but last night they dipped down to 10-15 with he Aerosoft Airbus, Once I got back out again it eased up but as soon as I started to descend into Belfast City The Frames went back down again. This does seem to be an anomaly because I flew from UK2000's Belfast Aldergrove to Edinburgh the frames were fine. My Traffic settings were completely off as I fly online. Thanks for your help, I will watch both of those videos again and report back later on this evening! :D

These are a couple of good tutorial videos from Matt Davis to start...

Seriously... Good tutorial videos? It's very bad advice to simply use other people's configs, which is all that video 1 is about (how can he advice a specific AM without knowing the CPU in use?!) and the second video is about improving P3D for free but mainly talks about pay ware add ons? Odd video's.

@Ulster66: does your friend use the exact same addons and are the settings the exact same? Otherwise you just can't compare the performance.

You will get the most benefit if you tune your system for the smoothest operation across the board and ignore frame rates. I'd rather have 20 fps smooth as silk than 60 fps that is choppy.

I lock my system at 20 fps and never look at the counter again. IMHO, frame rates are for bragging rights but if they are not smooth - they are wasted.

Find the LOWEST FPS you can maintain and still have smooth operation.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

IIRC Belfast City was quite hard on frames last time I tried it. 

Yes! I have never had this problem before so its kinda odd, however I have heard that from other people too

Seriously... Good tutorial videos? It's very bad advice to simply use other people's configs, which is all that video 1 is about (how can he advice a specific AM without knowing the CPU in use?!) and the second video is about improving P3D for free but mainly talks about pay ware add ons? Odd video's.

@Ulster66: does your friend use the exact same addons and are the settings the exact same? Otherwise you just can't compare the performance.

Yes, we both used Aerosoft Heathrow Extended, Aerosofts A320-A321, FTX NIR, REX TD & Softclouds, Eiresim Belfast and AS16

You will get the most benefit if you tune your system for the smoothest operation across the board and ignore frame rates. I'd rather have 20 fps smooth as silk than 60 fps that is choppy.

I lock my system at 20 fps and never look at the counter again. IMHO, frame rates are for bragging rights but if they are not smooth - they are wasted.

Find the LOWEST FPS you can maintain and still have smooth operation.

Vic

That also seems to be another Issue because they seem to be Inconsistent across the board, For Example when I loaded in, for the first 10-15 minutes they were at 28-30 Locked at 31 but then before I pushed back they started drop drop every couple of minutes to around the 13-14 mark spiking up to 22, Locking the frames at 15 seems a quite a sacrifice considering it can be so good and smooth.

What I'm going to do now is go and test some things I can do to the Simulator and report back to all about how it is running :)

That also seems to be another Issue because they seem to be Inconsistent across the board, For Example when I loaded in, for the first 10-15 minutes they were at 28-30 Locked at 31 but then before I pushed back they started drop drop every couple of minutes to around the 13-14 mark spiking up to 22, Locking the frames at 15 seems a quite a sacrifice considering it can be so good and smooth.

There is no sacrifice *IF* it is good and smooth. With *SMOOTH* being the operative word. If it is perfectly smooth at 20 and perfectly smooth at 30 - there is no benefit to running at 30. And before someone jumps in with *I* can tell the difference between 20 and 30" - if you can - then IT IS NOT SMOOTH.

Also, given the above scenario, if you lock at 20 smooth rather than 30 smooth - you free up a few cpu cycles for other stuff.

Each system is totally different just look for the lowest fps you can maintain.

Consider - you lock at 31, yet you get 28-30 - your system will be trying to get to 31 and using up resources to do same which will generate other issues. If you are getting 28 - 30 - try locking at something below that and adjust your settings until you can maintain it with smooth operation.

P3D, IMHO, is a LOT easier to get smooth than FSX.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

There is no sacrifice *IF* it is good and smooth. With *SMOOTH* being the operative word. If it is perfectly smooth at 20 and perfectly smooth at 30 - there is no benefit to running at 30. And before someone jumps in with *I* can tell the difference between 20 and 30" - if you can - then IT IS NOT SMOOTH.

Also, given the above scenario, if you lock at 20 smooth rather than 30 smooth - you free up a few cpu cycles for other stuff.

Each system is totally different just look for the lowest fps you can maintain.

Consider - you lock at 31, yet you get 28-30 - your system will be trying to get to 31 and using up resources to do same which will generate other issues. If you are getting 28 - 30 - try locking at something below that and adjust your settings until you can maintain it with smooth operation.

P3D, IMHO, is a LOT easier to get smooth than FSX.

Vic

Hi Vic,

I seem to have P3D optimized now to where I like it, I do tend to lock my frames along with the FFTF=0.01 Tweak and It works very well. It does drop a little now at the likes of Heathrow and Paris CDG, I have it locked at 31 and reaching that unless i'm at one of those major hubs. Honestly I respect your opinion but I'm willing to take a couple FPS drop here and there

I would also like to thank everyone for giving up their time to help me. I know have P3D at a state in which I like it :smile:

I know have P3D at a state in which I like it

And THAT's the most important point!

Enjoy!

Vic

He has an i5, you an i7, wich probably translates into you having Hyperthreading on. Turn HT off, and I think you'll be happy:-)

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One