Sign in to follow this  
KORDATC

Connecting Two Computers With No Wireless and Only One Ethernet Port Each

So, I'm trying to network two computers.  Anyways, my main computer is wired directly to the router and therefore does not have an available Ethernet slot.  How would I go about setting up a network with a second computer?  Would I be able to put an Ethernet splitter on the back of my main PC and then run a crossover cable to the other computer as well, while still using the internet on the main computer?

Regards,

Rob

Buy a switch and connect both computers and the router to it.  Whatever port on your router that is connected to your computer now would go to the switch.  Then both computers would have internet access too.

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I guess I should have added this in the initial post, but my router has multiple ethernet ports.  My computers each only have one Ethernet port.  So if I connect both computers to the router via ethernet cable, would that create a network?  If I did that, I wouldn't even need a crossover cable right?

Regards,

Rob

Why do you need this, just set up a home network and connect that way.  I have my two main FS computers hard wired to my router and connected through a home network.  I have these computers share one mouse and keyboard through a program called Synergy. Works great.....as long as you remember which computer you are on  :smile:

Oh, I should mention that once you get the network up and running the biggest problem you will have is with sharing permissions.  Programs like ASN, etc. will need access to certain files and folders on the FSX/P3D computer and you tend to get a lot of "you do not have access" errors.  You need to go into the advanced sharing options and add a permission for "everyone" to make it work.

• Upvote 1

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I wouldn't even need a crossover cable right?

Correct, the null-modem (crossover) cable is for connecting two computers directly (without a Hub/Switch/Router).

Mark's suggestion is spot on.

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

What they said.

Oh, I should mention that once you get the network up and running the biggest problem you will have is with sharing permissions.

Just to add a bit on this.

Make sure you have the same credentials in both PC's. (UserName & Pwrd)

then just share the appropriate folders.  (Use Share With.. or Advanced Sharing).

Also You might need to set Firewall permissions.

Cheers.

• Upvote 1

Alright, so I got everything setup and working.  I bought the suggested Synergy program.  It works great, but the only problem I'm having now, is a loss of sound when moving the mouse cursor over to the other computer.  Is there a way to have the P3D sounds play constantly even when moving the mouse over to another computer screen using Synergy?

Regards,

Rob

Is there a way to have the P3D sounds play constantly even when moving the mouse over to another computer screen using Synergy?

Flight1 SoundStream might be your answer. 

It works great when switching programs on a single machine with multiple monitors.  I don't see why it wouldn't work equally as well with Synergy.

It's Flight1 and they have a refund policy if it doesn't.

Ernest Pergrem

Is there a way to have the P3D sounds play constantly even when moving the mouse over to another computer screen using Synergy?

If you are using P3D then try:

Unchecking Mute On Lost Focus in Settings - Sound.