Sign in to follow this  
Clutch Cargo

Can one "turn off" Orbx global add-ons?

For those who are extensive Orbx users maybe you can answer a couple of questions for me as I am not an Orbx user.

1.  If one installs Global, can one turn it off in some manner to revert back to default or the only way is to uninstall their addon?

2. Do they offer a way to uninstall their program?  Like an "uninstall.exe"?

3.  Does it overwrite default files or just moves them/stores them to a different folder where one can get them back.

4.  A little deeper question for those who might know.  Does Orbx install program overwrite or replace the P3D/FSX 'default.xml' file or add to it?

Thanks

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

For those who are extensive Orbx users maybe you can answer a couple of questions for me as I am not an Orbx user.

1.  If one installs Global, can one turn it off in some manner to revert back to default or the only way is to uninstall their addon?

- I believe it overwrites the default files.  No way to turn on and off, you need to uninstall.  I believe there is a backup of original textures.

2. Do they offer a way to uninstall their program?  Like an "uninstall.exe"?  Yes.  This was corrected after initial release.

3.  Does it overwrite default files or just moves them/stores them to a different folder where one can get them back.

- Overwrite with backup ( I think).

4.  A little deeper question for those who might know.  Does Orbx install program overwrite or replace the P3D/FSX 'default.xml' file or add to it?  Adds to it.

Thanks

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Thx Mark

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

What Mark said. 

Global will overwrite most of the Default files in Prepar3D\Scenery\World\Texture.  When you Install Global it will give you an Option to create a folder and store all your Default files to it. 

I'm almost certain if you go into your scenery.cfg you can delete the Orbx entries or edit them (I have no idea which) and that will disable the Orbx scenery.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

I'm almost certain if you go into your scenery.cfg you can delete the Orbx entries or edit them (I have no idea which) and that will disable the Orbx scenery.

That may work with their airports and regions but NOT with FTX Global. Global replaces default textures and the only way to undo that is to 1. make a backup of the original files (which is an option the Global installer gives you but which can be skipped, so watch that) and 2. uninstall Global entirely.

"uninstall Global entirely."

Not sure why anyone would want to once you have it on board.  I deleted the Backup within hours of making the change, about three years ago.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

That may work with their airports and regions but NOT with FTX Global

Yes This ^^ 

Also you can delete the Entries in you Scenery.cfg for Full Fat regions and Airports,  But if you start your FTX control Panel it will Automatically pop those Entries in back in  

I'd like to pose a follow up question since I know that FTX Central has had some work done to it. I love the regions, both Cali's and PNW. Right now I don't have them installed, just FTX Global. Flying around FSDT LAX in SC is a slideshow, but out in the sticks it's great! I'd like to install the regions, but be able to turn them off if I'm flying IFR to add on airports in the 777. My understanding is that I could enable "Global" and not North America and visit Los Angeles without having the full region loaded. 

James McLees

I'd like to pose a follow up question since I know that FTX Central has had some work done to it. I love the regions, both Cali's and PNW. Right now I don't have them installed, just FTX Global. Flying around FSDT LAX in SC is a slideshow, but out in the sticks it's great! I'd like to install the regions, but be able to turn them off if I'm flying IFR to add on airports in the 777. My understanding is that I could enable "Global" and not North America and visit Los Angeles without having the full region loaded. 

I think you can disable your regions in the Scenery Library.

The earlier version of FTX Central would allow you to enable and disable regions.

The current version has all regions that are installed active, unless you disable them in the Scenery Library, or scenery.cfg file, which you can do.

Bert

If I have to uninstall and reinstall P3D, do I have to uninstall all Orbx? or can I just reinstall Orbx after reinstalling P3D/.

Something has messed up my new build... My FPS has dropped from 40+ to 12FPS. Not sure why.

PS: not meant to hijack Clutch's thread... just added Q to his Qs on Orbx. :)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I have Global Base, Global Vector and OpenLC NA. I also have all the North American regional sceneries including NASocal and NANorCal. I turn off both of the California regions when flying any airplane that uses even a moderate amount of VAS. Both of those regions demand a huge amount of VAS causing OOM errors. When I turn off both Cal's I don't see that much of a difference in immersion, but a huge increase in VAS.

Bob

I was about to ask the same question regarding disabling 'full fat' regions in favour of Global/LC install only. Glad that's been answered

I have just freshly installed P3D3.2, with FTX Global, Vector (most options turned off)and NA LC, Orbx lighting and T2G Seattle airport. With the PMDG 777, moderate settings, 'normal' aurogen. I still thought my performance and VAS would tank, but amazingly I had really smooth performance and VAS maxed out at 80% but settled at 75% and slowly bled away as I left the Seattle area. Brilliant. Feels like a new sim.

Going to add GSX and road vehicle AI (at minimum setting) tonight. Will be interested to see the hit on VAS then.

The earlier version of FTX Central would allow you to enable and disable regions.

The current version has all regions that are installed active, unless you disable them in the Scenery Library, or scenery.cfg file, which you can do.

Maybe a future sim will offer a hotkey to allow one to enable or disable  scenery live without downtime.

James McLees