Sign in to follow this  
moelkady

Upgrading from FSX dx10 to P3D V3 ?

I am wanting to know if it is worth it to upgrade from FSX using dx10 to P3D V3.

P3D is DX11 and someday DX12 capable.  FSX is DX10 Preview capable and will be like that forever.  DX11 and 12 provide more ah-gee-wiz stuff.  DX10 is certainly better than DX9 but slightly broken as the developers of FSX did not have a chance to finish the programming.

Best regards,

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Being an FSX user for the last few years I have really got used to it 

If by "got used to it" you mean the menu layouts and shortcut keys etc, P3D uses pretty much the same basic layout as FSX. The initial interface is different but it's very straightforward to understand.

The only add on that won't work as already mentioned, is the NGX. It costs slightly more for the P3D version too :( . However, there's absolutely nothing to stop you running both sims on the same machine.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

Hi,

I am wanting to know if it is worth it to upgrade from FSX using dx10 to P3D V3.

Some addons I use: 737 NGX, fs2crew, fsuipc, REX 4, GSX, vpilot and some Flytampa sceneries.

Specs: (Intel i5-4460/1TB HDD/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX760 2GB)

I like it a lot, but I don't have addons. So - I haven't had to figure that in.

Much cleaner than FSX.  The HDR lighting is very good.   Water effects and shadows are excellent.

The cockpit shadows just blow me away. DX 11 is way superior to the DX 10 preview.

I'm just running an i5 6400, 16 GB dual channel ram and a Samsung 512gb EVO SSD.  No graphics card.

And the latest RTM Windows 10.

FSX locked at 21 FPS, P3D 19 FPS.

The bad:  Meager selection of default aircraft, ATC still makes you go around way to often. No real world weather.

N99WB

I'm in the same spot as you are and also did a quick cost summary. Cool thing is anything which is ORBX can be transferred for free. Main cost drivers are:

1. sim itself

2. AS16 (thanks god ASCA is compatible) - upgrade price from ASN is over 40 bucks

3. A2A/PMDG Aircrafts (I own 172, Commanche & NGX but decided that if I will convert then I will take only 172 with me for now and purchase NGX later this year, you don't need to have it all at once)

Still hesitating though. My FSX with DX10 fixer is a stable and solid platform, generating 30 FPS in almost all scenarios, I don't remember falling below 20 with NGX even in complex addon airports. Visual part is somewhat debatable, I like FSX colors more, but I'm also not a fan of HDR.

In my case I have 4,5 GHz I5 3570K and GTX 970 heavily overclocked so I won't have hardware issue. Still budget is budget and I haven't made a decision yet. 

FSX does use HDR lighting in DX10. It's not tweakable from the menu like the P3D version is. You have to edit the shader files. 

• Upvote 1

Still hesitating though. My FSX with DX10 fixer is a stable and solid platform, generating 30 FPS in almost all scenarios, I don't remember falling below 20 with NGX even in complex addon airports. Visual part is somewhat debatable, I like FSX colors more, but I'm also not a fan of HDR.

I'm the same. Seems a little pointless to go through the hassle of setting up P3D and not getting the same results.

Seems to be mixed results with P3D. This is after multiple updates. And after many comments that it performs faultlessly with no tweaks needed. Yet this thread is full of issues.

Perhaps it's not the be all end all sim it's made out to be.

Mark R.

Well I will tell you result since I'm uninstalling STEAM Edition right now and throwing my card at screen ;) (wife convinced me!)

Well I will tell you result since I'm uninstalling STEAM Edition right now and throwing my card at screen ;) (wife convinced me!)

Wife convinced you? Wow, so lucky!!

Does she have a sister? :P

Hahaha no she does not. She has a brother but that might not be your treat :D

Yep she did. I was talking a lot about it and she knows that flight simming is my passion and its like a drug but without bad consequences. So she really supports it and that's why I love her! (sometimes she flies the CESSNA 172 with me crossing fingers that I land properly :) )