Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Z170 Deluxe - New build issue!

Greetings chaps.

Finally managed to get my PC built. Fired up and nothing.

Motherboard green LED is on, Asus pulasting LED does it's thing, the EVGA GTX 980Ti illuminates for a spilt second, and the CPU fan spins for a split second... and then nothing. Second attempt to boot, nothing at all, not even the brief CPU fan spins up.

If I switch off at the wall for a few minutes and hit it again, same as first scenario, CPU fan brief spin up then nothing..

Tried reseating everything, tried clearing the CMOS, still nothing. Tried one stick of RAM at a time, still nothing. Tried no 980 Ti still happens.

Any ideas would be welcome. Anybody had something similar? But me thinks RMA time.

Can You Boot into You're BIOS and Check Your Settings, and make sure all Hardware is Recognized Properly ?? - Does it check Your Memory Properly ?? Does it recognize You're Windows installation ?? Turn Your Splash screen Off so You can watch Your Boot Cycle ?? Have You tried Booting to Safe Mode ?? Have You tried Booting with a Recovery Disk, or the Windows Disk ?? Have You updated Your BIOS ?? Don't forget to Install the Drivers From Your Mother Board Disk, and Your Video Card !! there You go, that should Keep You Busy For a Few Minuets !! Good Luck ! - Johnman  B) 

The manual should have something about when you first start it up.  There are BIOS beeps. Each beep indicates something like, no vga detected or no memory detected.  If you did not detect any beeps or you do not see anything on your monitor w/i 30 seconds, then the system probably failed the power-on test and you will need to check out each jumper.  Did the fan to the power supply turn on?  Is the huge connection from the power supply to the MB connected properly?  On mine, the huge connection falls apart so that it can fit several types of MB's and I have to make sure all pieces of it are fully connected.

If the BIOS LED lights up it should also display a code if there is an issue and the manual shows what's wrong.  There are several but most important would be the post state LEDs and the Q-code LED which provides a 4-digit error code.  Should be in Chapter 1 of the manual.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Can You Boot into You're BIOS and Check Your Settings, and make sure all Hardware is Recognized Properly ?? - Does it check Your Memory Properly ?? Does it recognize You're Windows installation ?? Turn Your Splash screen Off so You can watch Your Boot Cycle ?? Have You tried Booting to Safe Mode ?? Have You tried Booting with a Recovery Disk, or the Windows Disk ?? Have You updated Your BIOS ?? Don't forget to Install the Drivers From Your Mother Board Disk, and Your Video Card !! there You go, that should Keep You Busy For a Few Minuets !! Good Luck ! - Johnman  B)

Hi, as I said in my first post... Upon hitting the power button, the CPU fan spins for a split second and then nothing. No POST bleeps nothing. Doesn't boot. 

Do You still have the Power Supply from Your Old Rig, Maybe You Could use That to See if it will Work ?? - Johnman B)

The manual should have something about when you first start it up.  There are BIOS beeps. Each beep indicates something like, no vga detected or no memory detected.  If you did not detect any beeps or you do not see anything on your monitor w/i 30 seconds, then the system probably failed the power-on test and you will need to check out each jumper.  Did the fan to the power supply turn on?  Is the huge connection from the power supply to the MB connected properly?  On mine, the huge connection falls apart so that it can fit several types of MB's and I have to make sure all pieces of it are fully connected.

If the BIOS LED lights up it should also display a code if there is an issue and the manual shows what's wrong.  There are several but most important would be the post state LEDs and the Q-code LED which provides a 4-digit error code.  Should be in Chapter 1 of the manual.

Best regards,

Hi Jim. 

No Post beeps.

Fan to PSU functions fine for the split second I mention, and then, as the Eneramx PSU has a feature that allows it to run after power off for a few seconds, it does precisely that. 

ATX and CPU 8 pin cables are all secure, as are all other cables.

A green LED lights up on the board, I need to check the significance of that and what it applies to, As for the Asus Q-Code feature, there are no Q-codes displayed, as the system doesn't fire up long enough to display them, we are talking about a split second, maybe half a second. The LED 's that are visbleae the LED's that re always visible with mains power on at wall but prior to boot.

Tomorrow, when I'm less P****d off, I will try a spare PSU I have, and if that fails, the Asus USB BIOS Flash back feature, so that I can flash the BIOS without the UEFI up and running.

Do You still have the Power Supply from Your Old Rig, Maybe You Could use That to See if it will Work ?? - Johnman B)

I'm dismantling an old rig I don't need anymore, that has a relatively new Corsair 850 Watt. My plan is to test it with that tomorrow. The Enermax PSU was tested with my PSU tester prior to installation and all was well. However, we shall see.

Awesome fun aren't they PC's!  :wink:

I did come across a few cases on the internet with same symptoms, and turned out to be a dodgy board.

Thanks for your input lads, much appreciated. 

ATX and CPU 8 pin cables are all secure, as are all other cables.

Wouldn't hurt to look at the connectors themselves - to ensure each in wire in the connector is snug in its location.

Definitely sounds like a PSU or shorting related problem.  If you get no joy, try taking the mpu out the case, and put it on say the motherboard box and try that.  I had a short from the case one time that caused the same issue

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Yep, will remove the board if no joy tomorrow and check for shorts. The stand off's were already instaled, all in the correct locations and no additional ones that could short.

I will also check the ATX and CPU 8 pin for bent pins or any other issue.

Very frustrating, set up looks great, complete with Corsair SP 2500 speakers ready to blow the roof off.

Those little contacts in the molex connectors have a pair of dog ears (example here) that snap into the connector itself. It's possible - tho not likely - those dog ears are missing allowing the barrel to slide within the connector. A slight tug on each wire should suffice to check.

I know... it is very frustrating with a new build and have a component doa.

An opportunity here to say thanks for your posts Martin - one a handful of people I trust. I almost missed the "issue" part in the thread title - was looking forward to what you had to say about your new build.

Had these same exact symptoms a few years ago on a new build... it was a short between the MB and case (at a stand-off).

Good luck... should be easy to isolate (agree that it's easier to troubleshoot once the "P****d off" state passes).

Greg

Hi Martin

No Q-code ? Not even 00

The CPU led ont the MoBo , leds first CPU led then mem and last gpu led boot to bios.

If you for example have a bend pin or faulty CPU Q-code 00

Seems to me the PSU or MoBo, on Asus you always have the NOT wanted Q-code 00 if the CPU is dead.

If you have problem or forget the 8pin atx you get Q-code 00

One trick after a reset of bios or a very hard look take the 24 pin off for a couple of seconds.

Hope that it work out for you.