Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Z170 Deluxe - New build issue!

Chaps, thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

I'm now up and running!

I traced the problem to a faulty SSD power cable. After kicking it around the room fifty times, spitting on it and then running over it in my car, I consigned it to the bin.

I did have one other issue that foxed me for a bit. Monitor said no cable detected. I even went out a bought a new DVI cable. Turned out all I needed to do was to enter the monitor menu and select my cable option.

In the UEFI now, and no issues... apart from one.

The EVGA GTX 980 Ti ASX 2,0 cooler is rattling. It's a known issue, I have it on my GTX 770 too. It's just a case of avoiding a particular fan RPM so it doesn't resonate.

I'll keep you posted how the rest of the installation goes. Bloody fought me on this one so far.  :BigGrin:

New builds can be so frustrating.  Glad you got it sorted out.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Corsiar Strafe RGB Keyboard with the new Cherry MX Silent keys is lovely.

Logitech G502 Proteus Mouse with RGB lighting is very nice too.

Yet to experience the Corsair SP 2500 Speakers, with a sub-woofer the size of many peoples PC enclosures.

Installing all the software... see you in one million years!

An opportunity here to say thanks for your posts Martin - one a handful of people I trust. I almost missed the "issue" part in the thread title - was looking forward to what you had to say about your new build.

Thank you I very much appreciate that.

Hi Martin.

I have nothing to say that might help Im afraid.  

Just that I am so sorry to hear after all you have gone through to be able to build your new rig.

I am confident that you will get it sorted and I look forward to hearing that you are up flying again soon.

Best regards.

David.

Intel i9 10900k

EVGA RTX 2070

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

CORSAIR 750D High Airflow

Hey Martin,

Take a Couple Days Off, and Go Flying, A Pure Basic, Unencumbered Install. Get it all set up in its Pristine Magnificence, and see what Your FPS is, Maybe You will not want to let All the Dogs out, to drag it Down. Learn to Love it before You Put  the Lipstick on !! - Just Say'in - Enjoy - Johnman B)

Hi Martin.

I have nothing to say that might help Im afraid.  

Just that I am so sorry to hear after all you have gone through to be able to build your new rig.

I am confident that you will get it sorted and I look forward to hearing that you are up flying again soon.

Best regards.

David.

It's all fixed now David. See the first post on this page.  :smile:

Sound quality from the Sp 2500 is stunning.

I traced the problem to a faulty SSD power cable. After kicking it around the room fifty times, spitting on it and then running over it in my car, I consigned it to the bin.

I'd be darned! I am glad you got it figured out.

yeah normally they advice you to start a new build with a minimalist approach, the  PSU, MB+CPU, Memory and the OS storage. that's it..and see if it posts... and then add everything else...

Was it the SSD or the power cable that you consigned to the bin?

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

yeah normally they advice you to start a new build with a minimalist approach, the  PSU, MB+CPU, Memory and the OS storage. that's it..and see if it posts... and then add everything else...

Greetings Manny.

Yep, that's an approach I've used a number of times.

Wouldn't have helped me of course, as the OS storage drive was the issue. The only other variable you don't mention is the case and to be honest I was doubtful it was a short with the case as I always check for such things, standoffs in the wrong place, screw holes to close to motherboard traces etc.

It was a process of elimination, as usual with these things.

Removed the graphics card, wasn't that, tried one stick of ram and in different slots wasn't that, even disconnected my speakers, wasn't that. Disconnected the 850 Evo and it booted to the UEFI, so I knew it was either the SATA cable, drive itself or SATA power.

It was indeed the power cable. An Enermax flat cable. Any way, this one was defective. 

The issue I have now is with the EVGA 980 Ti. The ACX 2.0 coolers are well known for exhibiting a rattle, usually at a certain fan RPM. Essentially the fins resonate. So when I heard the rather load rattle, I assumed it could be avoided by configuring the fans... was not the case, the rattle is VERY loud, not acceptable at all and at all fan RPM's. 

I'm communicating with EVGA now actually, they asked me to send them a recording of the sound, which I've done. As I say though, I know what it is, in fact some have fixed it themselves with thermal tape to stabilise the fins.

So I guess I'll be out of action for a few days until EVGA send me a new card.