Sign in to follow this  
messpace

Terrible performance with GTX 1080

Hi all!

For a while, I've been having FPS issues in Prepar3D, but I always assumed it was caused by my low-end graphics card. So when I upgraded to a 1080 I was hoping that I would see an increase in performance... I had no such luck. Today during a flight with the Aerosoft Airbus I was getting 8-10 fps in the cruise, and that was essentially the last straw for me.

I was hoping some of you would know how to help with these issues.

Important Computer Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 clocked at 4.4 GHz

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC

RAM: 16 GB

Addons:

Aerosoft Airbus

ORBX Global

REX Soft Clouds

Active Sky 16

Thanks,

MESSpace

You really need a high end Intel CPU to enjoy P3D. That old 8350 just doesn't cut it even when overclocked, unfortunately.

What "low-end graphics card" was in the system before the GTX 1080?  Was the original card removed properly before installing the 1080?  Did you reinstall the system's chipset drivers after installing the 1080?

Greg

You ar CPU bound the FX series IPC is very very bad.

Even if you overclock it to +5ghz a stock Skylake is approx 70% faster

You ar CPU bound the FX series IPC is very very bad.

Even if you overclock it to +5ghz a stock Skylake is approx 70% faster

You really need a high end Intel CPU to enjoy P3D. That old 8350 just doesn't cut it even when overclocked, unfortunately.

I've realised this, but I don't have the money to replace my entire computer just for a skylake processor, so I was hoping for some workarounds while I save up.

What "low-end graphics card" was in the system before the GTX 1080?  Was the original card removed properly before installing the 1080?  Did you reinstall the system's chipset drivers after installing the 1080?

Greg

The card was a Radeon HD 7800 from XFX. Had 2GB of RAM and only achieved 870 MHz core clock.

When I installed the 1080 I had already uninstalled the Radeon drivers and did a fresh install of the latest NVidia Drivers.

It's not too late to sell your card and go for an intel cpu motherboard combo. With a better cpu, your graphic card will be ok so long as you don't go for very high res and dense settings. Your frame rate will jump considerably, though.

tony

• Upvote 1

It's not too late to sell your card and go for an intel cpu motherboard combo. With a better cpu, your graphic card will be ok so long as you don't go for very high res and dense settings. Your frame rate will jump considerably, though.

tony

I don't plan on selling my GPU because I use my computer for games that require the power of the 1080 as well as P3D, but thanks for the suggestion.

Fly forever is spot on.

Send the 1080 back, and get a 1070 or 1060 and a 6600k and motherboard

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Fly forever is spot on.

Send the 1080 back, and get a 1070 or 1060 and a 6600k and motherboard

As much as this idea would work, I don't want to sell my components just to increase framerates. If there's really no other option than to buy an Intel Processor, I'll just wait until I've saved up enough money to do a complete computer upgrade, and switch in the process.

I appreciate the help, but I think I'll just stick with low FPS for a few more months until I can afford some new components.

Sorry to say this but, an overclocked Pentium G3258 + a GTX 970 would probably run FSX/P3D better than any AMD cpu coupled with any graphics card. Don't be fooled by all the bells and whistles of P3D, it is still a very CPU bound application. Too bad you didn't check with the community before you decided to spend all that money on a top-end GPU. Heck! That FX-8350 will probably bottleneck the 1080 in other modern games as well.

However, since both FSX and P3D are still very much using the main core of the CPU you should be fine with an overclocked i5k skylake processor. IMO, i7's are better performers but by such a small margin that the extra cash isn't worth it.

Check out the following list: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

It shows the CPU's with the best single-thread performance. Some people have hard time accepting it but the 70€ Pentium G3258 actually has better single-thread performance than even some i7's. Easy fact, lesser cores=faster single core performance.

cine-single.gif

Cheers!/Andreas