Hello. I'm going to buy the Cessna yoke soon from Saitek as an upgrade from my Logitech joystick. There is very limited space on top of my desk and I have a fairly low chair. The perfect place for me to mount the yoke is underneath as it will be at a realistic height and allow me to use my keyboard and mouse still. Is it possible to do? I am willing to do a little bit of DIY if necessary. Any suggestions on how it can be done?

I thought about doing this, but there is a big problem.

I couldn't work out why the yoke handles kept fouling on my legs at anything more than moderate levels of roll input, even when mounted above the desk, despite the fact that the real thing is mounted much lower. Closer examination revealed that the yoke shaft attaches very high up on the boss, which means that the yoke almost swings below the shaft. This is presumably to lower it a little when it is mounted on top of a desk, but it means that it is VERY low if mounted below the desk (and as soon as you turn the yoke it gets even worse).

There are as far as I could figure two ways of achieving what you want -- either simply turn the yoke upside down and clamp to the desk or construct some sort of box underneath the desk for the yoke to slide in to.

Either way you would have to figure out how to remove the yoke itself from the shaft and change the point at which the shaft attaches to the wheel, IMHO (and/or turn the handle upside down if you go for the inverted mounting method). That seemed like a bit of a tough ask for me so I gave up - but good luck!

Thanks for the reply Simon. Interesting, I never really considered where the yoke attached to the shaft, I always assumed it would be about centre. Although you haven't seen how low my chair is, it broke a while ago and it's stuck at its lowest point. I guess I don't really have anything to lose as I can always get a bigger chair and mount it on top. I did consider the box after seeing others do it but I don't want to make it permanent as my desk is used for study and other things. I don't know if I could slide it in the keyboard tray and just Velcro it in place, it might be too tall and my keyboard tray is pretty flimsy

When you could give me your emailadress I will sent you a picture from my desktopsolution.

Regards,

Ben

Thanks for the reply Simon. Interesting, I never really considered where the yoke attached to the shaft, I always assumed it would be about centre. Although you haven't seen how low my chair is, it broke a while ago and it's stuck at its lowest point. I guess I don't really have anything to lose as I can always get a bigger chair and mount it on top. I did consider the box after seeing others do it but I don't want to make it permanent as my desk is used for study and other things. I don't know if I could slide it in the keyboard tray and just Velcro it in place, it might be too tall and my keyboard tray is pretty flimsy

If you don't mind taking the yoke apart, you could probably rotate the whole shaft (with handle attached) through 180 degrees and re-assemble. This would enable you to turn the yoke upside down, slide it under the desk and simply clamp the whole thing to the top surface of the desk, if that makes sense. This would obviously be very straightforward to attach and remove without a trace. However, you would still have the issue of getting the handle itself to sit in a comfortable position (you could test it by simply holding it under the desk the right way up and seeing where the handle sits).

It's a little annoying because the result is that the yoke (for me at least) always feels slightly too high when mounted on top of the desk, sitting at almost chest height if I lower my chair a couple of inches to avoid the handles catching my legs at large deflections. Mounting it underneath the desk would make it much more comfortable to use if the handle was attached more centrally on the shaft as is the case with the real thing!

It is very easy to put it beneath the table/desktop. I mounted two wood strips the height and length of the yoke (approx, 4"x7")--far enough apart to slide the yoke between them.  I then screwed two strips across the yoke to hold it in place. BUT I also put a 1" shim at the back to tilt the yoke upwards a bit. Mine has been set like this for a year or so.

Works like charm

Neal Howard

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

There are screw holes on top of the yoke with plugs. Remove the plugs on the left and right and then use long screws to mount to desk. I also use shims in the back between the desk and the yoke to give me a angle for the yoke. I tried to post a picture but it isn't letting me so PM me with your email and I will send a picture.  Josh

CPU: Intel i9-11900K @5.2 / RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200 / GPU: 4080 16GB /

I used black Command velcro strips. Easiest way IMO, to mount all the hardware without taking it apart to drilling holes. I used 24 strips total, 2 per corner. The housing has 6 corners. 12 for the housing and 12 for the surface you're mounting it to. A tip... Peel and stick the one side to the housing. When those are all on, go ahead and attach the surface strips to the ones on the housing without peel the paper. That helps you press all the velvro firming and evenly together without compromising the glue adhesive. Now peel and stick the yoke where you want it. Done. It takes 5 minutes. PM me for pics and I'll get them tomorrow.

You may also consider the yoke from TRC SIMS. It's reasonably priced and has realistic travel. I'm considering selling my Saitek Cessna yoke and replacing with that one. I'll probably sell my yoke and throttle for $250.00 plus shipping, if anyone is interested PM me.

I thought about doing this, but there is a big problem.

I couldn't work out why the yoke handles kept fouling on my legs at anything more than moderate levels of roll input, even when mounted above the desk, despite the fact that the real thing is mounted much lower. Closer examination revealed that the yoke shaft attaches very high up on the boss, which means that the yoke almost swings below the shaft. This is presumably to lower it a little when it is mounted on top of a desk, but it means that it is VERY low if mounted below the desk (and as soon as you turn the yoke it gets even worse).

There are as far as I could figure two ways of achieving what you want -- either simply turn the yoke upside down and clamp to the desk or construct some sort of box underneath the desk for the yoke to slide in to.

Either way you would have to figure out how to remove the yoke itself from the shaft and change the point at which the shaft attaches to the wheel, IMHO (and/or turn the handle upside down if you go for the inverted mounting method). That seemed like a bit of a tough ask for me so I gave up - but good luck!

The yoke shaft is about 8-10 inches above the knee in a Cessna 172. I will still hit my knees/legs at full aileron travel during pre takeoff checklist time, which I don't have to do in air. You may consider placing the desk on bricks or some lumber like 2x4s. I am 6' tall if that helps for comparison.

I used black Command velcro strips. Easiest way IMO, to mount all the hardware without taking it apart to drilling holes. I used 24 strips total, 2 per corner. The housing has 6 corners. 12 for the housing and 12 for the surface you're mounting it to. A tip... Peel and stick the one side to the housing. When those are all on, go ahead and attach the surface strips to the ones on the housing without peel the paper. That helps you press all the velvro firming and evenly together without compromising the glue adhesive. Now peel and stick the yoke where you want it. Done. It takes 5 minutes. PM me for pics and I'll get them tomorrow.

You may also consider the yoke from TRC SIMS. It's reasonably priced and has realistic travel. I'm considering selling my Saitek Cessna yoke and replacing with that one. I'll probably sell my yoke and throttle for $250.00 plus shipping, if anyone is interested PM me.

The yoke shaft is about 8-10 inches above the knee in a Cessna 172. I will still hit my knees/legs at full aileron travel during pre takeoff checklist time, which I don't have to do in air. You may consider placing the desk on bricks or some lumber like 2x4s. I am 6' tall if that helps for comparison.

I did think about Velcro as i want it to be moveable so I can use my desk for other things. How strong is it, is it enough to withstand crosswind landings without falling off? I'm starting to feel better about mounting on top and using C clamps instead so I can still use my keyboard tray. I think I might as well get it and see what I can do. Probably won't get it until Christmas time though when there is hopefully sales.