Sign in to follow this  
philbrown

747-8 Airport Display

Hi All,

Does anyone know whether PMDG have said whether the new 747-8 will come with the airport display option on the ND?

I tried a search but it didn't pull up any responses.

• Upvote 1

Phil

Nope. They haven't spoken about that...

I'm not expecting airport maps on any DU simply because the navigation data does not have this.

Dan Downs KCRP

I'm not expecting airport maps on any DU simply because the navigation data does not have this.

There are methodologies to depict airport diagrams; QW787 has integrated airport diagrams into their product....

Matt king

• Upvote 2

Matt King

There are methodologies to depict airport diagrams; QW787 has integrated airport diagrams into their product....

Matt king

Do they provide the maps with the product? How do you keep the maps up to date? What about the differences between the airport in the sim world and the real world, of which there are plenty.  I just don't see this as something PMDG is interested getting into, same for EFBs.  Makes for a perfect market niche for someone who wants to get into that.

Dan Downs KCRP

Do they provide the maps with the product? How do you keep the maps up to date?

Aivlasoft EFB scans BGL files from the scenery directory to create it'd airport maps. So I guess the data in the sim is available. Although it doesn't show buildings, so I don't know where that data will be available from.

Makes for a perfect market niche for someone who wants to get into that.

But I can't see anyone else other than PMDG creating something that will integrate seamslessly into the 747.

I'm sort of hoping that this will be like the weather radar for the 777 - something they aren't commenting on until they are sure they can make it work properly. I'm guessing the -8 will come out after the -400 release, so they still have some time to surprise us. Here's hoping, anyway.

• Upvote 1

Aivlasoft EFB scans BGL files from the scenery directory to create it'd airport maps.

You mean the AFCAD bgl?  That would work with default airports but most of the quality add on airports out there do the ground textures outside of the AFCAD, which exists primarily only for AI traffic.  I guess that is a sufficient solution, but not one I would like. I often modify the add on AFCAD adding realistic  GSX pushback paths for the gates I use often and I'd be messing up the EFB.

Dan Downs KCRP