Sign in to follow this  
el_kab0ng

How to compensate for exceptionally long SIDs?

Try flying this route:

KDEN STAKR3 PYPER PNH J17 ABI DILLO LAIKS1 KAUS IFR FL330

You'll notice that the STAKR3 SID runs pretty long and ATC will bark at you for 'straying off your flight plan' before the SID is complete. Is there a way to adjust the distances RC4 will honor before connecting to the exit point? (PYPER in this case)

RC ATC is coded for deparure radar finishing  just after the 30 nm boundary with the last vector pointing the first waypoint after 30 nm. Your flightplan sent to RC must be in waypoint sync with your navigation system waypoints including the terminal data base. Using NOTAMS may help where commands become advisory.

Waypoints STAKR and beyond must be in your flightplan sent to RC. This works here because STAKR is common to all runway departures. Note that in the departure options you choose from three options for vectors within those 30 nm such as no vectors, vectors with altitudes, or vectors with no altitudes. Since the runway is dynamically assigned, you can choose no vectors and then load into your aircraft nav gear the correct departure from its terminal database.

My planner database is in sync with my aircraft terminal database data. Sections of this document can apply to any AIRC updated database flight planner.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/owuz7p2ohx7y7st/fsb%20tips%20and%20update.pdf?dl=0

You can also after approach contacts you use the IAP option where you'll be responsible for navigating the last 35 nm or so. A third option is to load your entire flight plan including the approach waypoints into your aircraft nav system.

I'm having difficulty interpreting your response, but let me see if I get the gist. It sounds like I have a couple of choices here:

1. Enable NOTAMS so that I can fly as long as I need to complete the SID and then notify ATC when I'm back on course. (I do this when flying out of KEGE for KDEN so I don't get vectored into a mountain. This makes sense, but I'd have to expand the SID to see if it goes beyond the 30nm range as part of my planning stage for each flight as not every SID I fly does.)

2. Expand the SID to actual way points as part of my flight plan. (This limits the runways I can use as at most airports, the SID waypoints change a bit depending on runway assignment and isn't practical in all cases.)

3. There's no way to expand the SID range beyond 30nm as it's hard coded into the product.

If you navigate on your own you still may need to get credit for listed waypoints. To skip them go to the extended menu at the appropriate time and choose the direct to option which will allow  you to go direct from your present position to the next waypoint you choose.

Just try using the common waypoints to all runways in your flight plan. Center will expect you to hit those.

Please read the manual regarding the three choices of departure options.

Points beyond the 30 nm boundary will fall within the center jurisdiction - no deviation available.