Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

How to Add Sounds to AI Aircraft with no Sounds

I have a lot of AI aircraft with no sounds. Can I create a soundaI folder and alias the sound to another similar plane?  Does the similar plane have to have a soundai or can I just alias it to the similar planes sound folder?  I assume I have to add a line Sound= in the aircraft.cfg of the AI plane as there is no reference for sound.

Any help sure would be appreciated. .

Thanks.

No aircraft.cfg edits necessary. Just add a "soundai" folder with a "soundai.cfg" pointing to a "soundai" soundset. I think you can use "normal" sound folders as targets.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

OK. Thanks.

The AI planes do not now have any entry at all have to add it? in the aircraft.cfg now for Sound=.

Are you saying I do not have to add it?

Look at the MD-83, which I believe is an FSX default AI aircraft.

In the MD-83 folder is a "soundai" folder.

In that folder is a file "soundai.cfg"

In that file you find:

[fltsim]
alias=B737_800\soundai

This is pointing to the default B737_800 soundai folder.

That is the structure you need but the "alias=" path can be to whatever aircraft 'sound'

or 'soundai' folder you have and wish to  use for the AI aircraft in question.

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

OK Thanks. In the MD-83 it says Sound= in it's aircraft.cfg  so it looks like I have to add it in the aircraft.cfg of my AI airplane.

I understand all else.

No, you have to add a line called "soundai=", otherwise the aircraft.cfg of your AI aircraft directs the sim to look for an "sound" folder and its content. Or, if you want to have "sound=" in your aircraft.cfg, you have to add the sound.cfg into a folder called "sound", otherwise this will not work.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Look at the MD-83, which I believe is an FSX default AI aircraft.

In the MD-83 folder is a "soundai" folder.

In that folder is a file "soundai.cfg"

In that file you find:

[fltsim]

alias=B737_800\soundai

This is pointing to the default B737_800 soundai folder.

That is the structure you need but the "alias=" path can be to whatever aircraft 'sound'

or 'soundai' folder you have and wish to  use for the AI aircraft in question.

Paul

This is correct. If you desire to have AI aircraft alias sounds outside their own folder then you have to have the "alias..." entry for sound in the aircraft.cfg. I've done this for nearly 100 percent of my AI aircraft and it can get pretty noisy when you have several types of aircraft operating in close proximity of each other. There are parameters within the soundai.cfg that can be modified to adjust volume and distance from aircraft on which influence the overall output of the source sounds.

Keith Guillory